• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The warning law.

andmark

International Captain
What's is the warning law in Cricket, and when is a "warning" given?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What's is the warning law in Cricket, and when is a "warning" given?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
A warning for what? Batsman running down the track, bowler bowling beamers? Intimidatory bowling? Innappropriate language and behaviour?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say they'd be warned for running down the middle of the wicket whilst taking a run.

The preamble regarding the spirit of cricket claims that umpires are the sole judges of fair and unfair play and are authorised to intervene in cases of damaging the pitch.

Law 40.11 - Damaging the pitch - area to be protected
(a) It is incumbent on all players to avoid unnecessary damage to the pitch. It is unfair for any player to cause deliberate damage to the pitch.

(b) An area of the pitch, to be referred to as 'the protected area', is defined as that area contained within a rectangle bounded at each end by imaginary lines parallel to the popping creases and 5ft/1.52m in front of each and on the sides by imaginary lines, one each side of the imaginary line joining the centres of the two middle stumps, each parallel to it and 1ft/30.48cm from it.

Law 40.14 - Batsman damaging the pitch
(a) If either batsman causes avoidable damage to the pitch, at the first instance the umpire shall, when the ball is dead,
(i) caution the batsman. This caution shall continue to apply throughout the innings. The umpire shall so inform each incoming batsman.
(ii) inform the other umpire, the other batsman, the captain of the fielding side and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side.

(b) If there is a second instance of avoidable damage to the pitch by any batsman in that innings
(i) the umpire shall repeat the above procedure, indicating that this is a final warning.
(ii) additionally he shall disallow all runs to the batting side from that delivery other than the penalty for a No ball or a Wide, if applicable. The batsmen shall return to their original ends.

(c) If there is any further avoidable damage to the pitch by any batsman in that innings, the umpire shall, when the ball is dead,
(i) disallow all runs to the batting side from that delivery other than the penalty for a No ball or a Wide, if applicable. The batsmen shall return to their original ends.
(ii) additionally award 5 penalty runs to the fielding side. See 17 below.
(iii) inform the other umpire, the other batsman, the captain of the fielding side and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of what has occurred.
(iv) report the occurrence, with the other umpire, as soon as possible to the Executive of the batting side and any Governing Body responsible for the match, who shall take such action as is considered appropriate against the captain and player or players concerned.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically...

First time: Batsman gets warned

Second time: Batsman gets warned and the ball is signalled dead (no runs for that delivery)

Third time: The ball is signalled dead, fielding side receive five penalty runs and the batsman has to answer to the match referree and governing body (ICC for international matches) and they will deem the punishment...possibly a suspension or fine.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think he's on about bowlers warning the non-striker for backing up too far and the bowler threatening to run him out in his delivery stride.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm assuming he's on about running people out backing up (Mankading).

In short, the batsman is allowed to do whatever the hell he wants as soon as the bowler enters his delivery stride, and the bowler cannot do anything about it. If the batsman leaves his ground before the bowler enters his delivery stride, then the bowler is free to run them out without warning. The "warnings" were removed from the law in 2000.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm assuming he's on about running people out backing up (Mankading).

In short, the batsman is allowed to do whatever the hell he wants as soon as the bowler enters his delivery stride, and the bowler cannot do anything about it. If the batsman leaves his ground before the bowler enters his delivery stride, then the bowler is free to run them out without warning. The "warnings" were removed from the law in 2000.
Pretty sure if the bowler releases the ball before he passes the umpire it's a dead ball or no ball as the umpire cannot be sure of where his feet were or the positioning of his elbow. Seem to remember that one from my umpiring course.