• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The unapologetic Lyon Bandwagon Thread - Not for TJB

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My observation has been he doesn't put enough body into his delivery, the way Lyon does. Mind, that's body, not revs. In the SC, this gets masked through the nature of the pitches, but outside the SC it becomes a glaring flaw in his game.
Who needs to put your body when you can put your brain into it?

Victor Ian

International Coach
from cricinfo

Arty: "Gary now has the most wickets, best innings figures and best match figures for 2017. What a year for the man! Undisputed first choice spinner for Australia and still more to come considering he's only going to turn 30 this year."

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been a big turn around in his ability to bowl at different paces depending on what the pitch requires. I also recall him falling away badly in prolonged spells which does notseem to be an issue at all these days - could have a very productive 3-5 years assuming he isn't ditched for Swepson after one bad Test

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As raised here/elsewhere, he's now at the same age that Swann was when he made his debut. He's done well career wise to survive during the hardest years as a spinner - hopefully he continues to improve and get smarter as a lot of spinners do.

stephen

Yeah he's got so many years of bowling ahead of him. 30 is about the age that spinners usually come good (the fact that Warne was so good in his early 20s was part of what made him such a freak).

flibbertyjibber

Seeing as he is only going to be 30 this year he could easily end up the 4th highest wicket taking spinner of all time. Some effort considering he gets dropped so often.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Then you're listening to the wrong people, he's comfortably better than either Starc or Hazelwood are right now, and the rest can't stay fit long enough to say anything other than they have the potential to be something special, but they've not proven **** yet. Anderson would be the first choice pick then Hazelwood as his opening partner, Lyon would be the spinner and then they'd be picking from the other 3 based on who's fit.

Notice the way Lyon is just mentioned casually without even a hint of discussion needed, while a 500 wicket taker is still having his merits analysed. Lyon has come a long way.

stephen

Notice the way Lyon is just mentioned casually without even a hint of discussion needed, while a 500 wicket taker is still having his merits analysed. Lyon has come a long way.
Lyon has really answered his weakness this winter. Previously he was ordinary in the subcontinent but he's really learned how to bowl over there now.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Remember that time he got dropped so as Maxwell and Doherty could bowl in tandem, or that time he got dropped for a 19 year old Ashton Agar who lasted 2 tests

Bloke is going to finish his career with more wickets than Malcolm Marshall and there will still be people thinking mediocre batsmen can bowl better than him just because they don't like offspinners

Starfighter

Remember that time he got dropped so as Maxwell and Doherty could bowl in tandem, or that time he got dropped for a 19 year old Ashton Agar who lasted 2 tests
I think I've blanked out the memories. Sure he conceded 200 in an innings but dropping him for a guy with an average of 127 was dire.

Bloke is going to finish his career with more wickets than Malcolm Marshall and there will still be people thinking mediocre batsmen can bowl better than him just because they don't like offspinners
You mean he'll be better than Marshall? #alecstewartthoughts

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think I've blanked out the memories. Sure he conceded 200 in an innings but dropping him for a guy with an average of 127 was dire.

You mean he'll be better than Marshall? #alecstewartthoughts
I can only guess that Alec Stewart hadn't discovered the idea of counting until just now, so he is very excited by all the interesting new conclusions he can draw from it.

Groundking

International Debutant
I've always rated Lyon and thought it was ridiculous the way Australia kept chopping and changing him, also Lyon has way less competition for his place than Anderson would as an Australian pace bowler.

Burgey

GOAT currently having a chat on brekkie radio. Will probably be a pod cast up on Sky Sports Radio later today.