• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Twenty20 Cup in England

Craig

World Traveller
So how did you rate Twenty20? Would of called it a success? Obviosuly i dont live in England, so I wouldnt of seen it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
So how did you rate Twenty20? Would of called it a success? Obviosuly i dont live in England, so I wouldnt of seen it.
It's been a great success, I believe.

The gates have been well above expectations (one of the group games attracted over 15,000), the kids have come to the games, ice-cream sales have been through the roof and there's been some Corky problems.

What more can anyone want?

<quack> cricket

Thanks, DD. There's been some cricket as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:

Well done marc for forecasting the result after 5 overs.
It was hard not to!

The only thing that confused me was the scheduling - Warwickshire and Leicestershire finished at 6.30 or so on Friday night, whereas Surrey had no cricket scheduled for that day and Gloucester finished early.

Why then did those 2 have play first? Apparently it was drawn for the other game to go first, but they switched (something to do with trains from London) - bit bizarre one.

Then of course came the problem that having got there at 9.30am, they played, won and had to hang around all day (about 6 hours) for the next game.

I know one team will always have to do that, but why such a long gap between games?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It was hard not to!

<snip>

I know one team will always have to do that, but why such a long gap between games?
True.

I think the fact that Leicestershire and Warwickshire had very little travelling time to get to Trent Bridge meant that the logical thing would be to put them on first.

The gap between the semis and the final taking place was so that Atomic Kitten could strut their funky stuff. When the Twenty20 was inaugurated, I doubt the authorities were confident that it would be such a success. Consequently, they booked a pop concert in an effort to get the kids there (or maybe it really WAS for Mark Butcher's benefit).

Incidentally, Surrey were the only team who failed to sell their full allocation of tickets. I could have got one right up until the last moment but I realised you guys needed match reports pronto. :saint:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
I think the fact that Leicestershire and Warwickshire had very little travelling time to get to Trent Bridge meant that the logical thing would be to put them on first.
Logical until you see where they were playing the day before (South of London!)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Thought it was brilliant, although i wish they would remove the "tacky" image and just let people watch 20 over cricket for god sake...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Logical until you see where they were playing the day before (South of London!)
I was referring to the spectators/supporters.

Incidentally, Surrey only sold about a third of their allocation of tickets. The 'North of Watford' syndrome, perhaps?

Craig

World Traveller
I remember reading that some Counties were trying to promote it as '***y cricket' with cheerleaders and pictures of half naked players :O :O

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Trying to turn it into a combination of Baseball and a fairground...
I don't get the baseball reference at all.

The odd bouncy castle? Not a problem with me.

The beauty of the 20 over game is it's perfect as an introduction to the game as far as kids go - short attention spans and so zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
hardly get chance to sleep.
its all, bang, bang, bang, first innings over.
then, bang, bang, bang, match done.