• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Twenty20 Cup in England

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr. Ponting said:
hows it tacky?

Just the fairground atmosphere, and gimmicky schemes that are so obviously trying to get kids into the game...

My point is, if kids need to get their face painted or go on the bouncy castle, are they going to sit through a day of Championship cricket, of course not.......... and thats the object , right?

And the token "camp" announcers drive me insane

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jacques Rudolph said:
Just the fairground atmosphere, and gimmicky schemes that are so obviously trying to get kids into the game...

My point is, if kids need to get their face painted or go on the bouncy castle, are they going to sit through a day of Championship cricket, of course not.......... and thats the object , right?

And the token "camp" announcers drive me insane
Hey, I'm the geriatric. Should be me saying "Did you see what he just did? Dsgusting. Good garden stuff, it's not cricket (another Pimm's, vicar?)"

I shouldn't criticise just kids for not sitting through a day of championship cricket. I went to Taunton a couple of years ago and if there were 400 there that was pushing it (and that crowd looked big compared to how many there were at Derby a few weeks ago)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rich, if 2% of the kids who have come to these Twenty20 matches are converted then it's succeeded.

I was walking around under the backs of the stands at Trent Bridge on Saturday during the Atomic Kitten 'concert', and it was incredible to see the amount of kids, of all ages and backgrounds,
just playing with bats, windballs and tennis balls against the walls and wire fencing. Also, Surrey coach Keith Medlycott's four-year-old son, who rolled a windball into my foot :P

I have to admit I was a little sceptical that it might just go the way of CricketMax, but I'm sitting here now typing this wearing a Twenty20 Finals T-shirt, and have been fully convinced that this has been an unbridled success.

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire finals day (except the results), and some of the hitting (Ali Brown and Alex Gidman in particular) was stunning to see. James Ormond's incredibly good spell of seam bowling in the final also proved that it isn't just a slog-a-thon and there's still a place for traditional "values" in the game.

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Also, Surrey coach Keith Medlycott's four-year-old son, who rolled a windball into my foot :P..............................................................................I'm sitting here now typing this wearing a Twenty20 Finals T-shirt and staring at the windball which I stole from that poor kid who by relation is involved with Surrey County Cricket Club
:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You make me sound like a bigoted exploitative fascist :)

I just kicked it back to him (obviously this was before I realised that he was Medlycott's son :baddevil:, that was after watching the C4 highlights) - but I would have done the same no matter..