• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The TV show thread (many spoilers)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rewatching the first few episodes of the wire after finishing the series and knowing what is what is one of the best TV experiences ever. So good.

ankitj

International Coach
Rewatching the first few episodes of the wire after finishing the series and knowing what is what is one of the best TV experiences ever. So good.
Happens with many good series. Re watches are lot of fun.

I take it that everyone recommends that I finish the series :thumbsup:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha, it's a lot more epic with the wire because it doesn't try to explain what is going on in the beginning so 80% of the show flies past you when you watch the first few episodes for first time.

Burner

International Debutant
The Wire never really gripped me tbf. I never found it as entertaining as, say, breaking bad. I can appreciate it for so many reasons but it's not one of my favourite series'.

ankitj

International Coach
So some mind blowing things must happen in 2nd half of the show to make rewatches so fun? Amirite?

One thing that is slowing me down is that both seasons ended with a sort of conclusion rather than a cliff hanger. So in a new season I'm having to regenerate interest all over again with new plots being introduced.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So some mind blowing things must happen in 2nd half of the show to make rewatches so fun? Amirite?

One thing that is slowing me down is that both seasons ended with a sort of conclusion rather than a cliff hanger. So in a new season I'm having to regenerate interest all over again with new plots being introduced.
no, S1 alone is the greatest TV ever

MW1304

International Captain

If you don't get it, you don't get it, and that's fine. But don't expect the method of storytelling, incremental pace of the plot and the deep well of characters to change. It very much knows what kind of story it wants to tell early on, and each season has a singular focus that only builds on what has come before.

If you don't love it by now you probably never will.

Niall

International Captain
Planning to watch dark season 3 around xmas, will do a rewatch loved the first two seasons.

Anyhow we finally get the remake of Utopia.

The UK version was an infuriating mess tbh. It had a wonderful premise, looked superb and some absolute guns in the cast which the obvious highlight was Maskell who when gets the right role is so ****ing good. It had an immense soundtrack also. It had it moments for sure but could have been a lot more. I wasn't as annoyed as others when cancelled.

So US version,,,unconvinced, but the premise is still really good so its possible this could be really good. Could also be a toilet though.

Niall

International Captain
Opening scene summarised the show perfectly, so much potential,, Maskell doing his thing, criminally underrated Paul Ready camping it , serious menace and top soundtrack kicking in.

Arguably the biggest let down of recent times , as unlike so many uk shows their was something really special their.

Niall

International Captain
Re watched Life On Mars for the first time since it aired on telly, very enjoyable series and Gene Hunt a great character.

Anyone watched Ashes To Ashes the follow up?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone watched Dirty John?

I watched S1 last year and found it quite enjoyable. The second season is the Betty Broderick stories. I'd never heard of the case before but googled after finishing it. Really enjoyed it.

What I really liked was the way in the finale everything kind of flipped. You spent seven episodes feeling really sorry for Betty, even though many of her actions were completely irrational and she cut her toes off to spite her feet repeatedly. But it was tragic watching her descent into lunacy, and certainly with it largely told from her perspective you couldn't not feel sorry for her. But then in the last episode it was clear it wasn't a momentary snap and she had zero remorse. Also, she got complacent on the back of the fanmail and mistrial and went into the second trial way too cocky and it led to inconsistencies with some of her prior testimony. You're kind of setup throughout thinking she must have really been driven over the edge to kill them both - and clearly she was - but then you realise this is a woman who shot two people who were sleeping, and one of them was father to her four kids.

Compared to, say, Making a Murderer, I thought all this at the end meant for a more balanced picture of what really happened and you didn't finish it screaming for her to be released. But this was all the more powerful by the fact I really did feel sorry for her for the bulk of the first seven episodes. Obviously the two victims are dead, so we aren't getting anything based on their side of the story, but after reading up on it the depiction seemed largely consistent with the known facts (or reported facts) about the case.

Absolutely stellar performance from Amanda Peet.

Niall

International Captain

I watched S1 last year and found it quite enjoyable. The second season is the Betty Broderick stories. I'd never heard of the case before but googled after finishing it. Really enjoyed it.

What I really liked was the way in the finale everything kind of flipped. You spent seven episodes feeling really sorry for Betty, even though many of her actions were completely irrational and she cut her toes off to spite her feet repeatedly. But it was tragic watching her descent into lunacy, and certainly with it largely told from her perspective you couldn't not feel sorry for her. But then in the last episode it was clear it wasn't a momentary snap and she had zero remorse. Also, she got complacent on the back of the fanmail and mistrial and went into the second trial way too cocky and it led to inconsistencies with some of her prior testimony. You're kind of setup throughout thinking she must have really been driven over the edge to kill them both - and clearly she was - but then you realise this is a woman who shot two people who were sleeping, and one of them was father to her four kids.

Compared to, say, Making a Murderer, I thought all this at the end meant for a more balanced picture of what really happened and you didn't finish it screaming for her to be released. But this was all the more powerful by the fact I really did feel sorry for her for the bulk of the first seven episodes. Obviously the two victims are dead, so we aren't getting anything based on their side of the story, but after reading up on it the depiction seemed largely consistent with the known facts (or reported facts) about the case.

I know its a crap reason not to watch something, but I refuse to watch something with that name.

I finished Ashes To Ashes the other day, it didn't need three seasons but it was pretty nicely done.

Gene Hunt definitely one of the most compelling characters I have ever seen from a UK series.

Ending a little predictable but with such a format it was always going to be tricky to wrap it up without a **** liking me picking holes. Somewhat annoyed reading online that Hawess got criticism when it initially aired, she and Glennister had great chemistry and she looked fantastic which always helps.

Daniel Mays also for such a gun actor doesn't have enough memorable roles either in his career sadly.

_Ed_

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

We're five episodes into the Betty series, so I'll avoid those spoilers for now, but yeah, it's been great so far. I think it's an improvement on the first series - especially Peet, as you mentioned.