• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Streak - Can Australia Do It Again?

howardj

International Coach
Jono said:
Yeah the crapness of that was seen in India when England toured. That series would have been awesome had it been a 4 test one. Would have been a tense 4th test.

Anyway I'm pretty sure India will play Australia down here in a 4 test match series. I'm almost positive they made an agreement along those lines. I mean the last two series have been 4 test matches.
Yeah it is a 4 Test series. I only put three in there as that would take us past the record (assuming the Zim tour gets canned).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
silentstriker said:
I hope so. One thing that I would really like the ICC to do is to increase the FTP from six years to eight, but increase the minimum from two tests to four. So every country must play every other country home and way once every eight years but they must play four tests each time.

That might actually be a slight lessening of the total amount of cricket played, while increasing the time for each series...a win/win IMO.

And no more crap two test series like NZ/SL.
Also, maybe make mandatory that each side must play at least two full three or four day games, maybe even three games to warm up. In places like India, NZ...warmup games are crucial as the conditions aren't really the same as anywhere else. I mean, everyone would like to see high quality cricket, right? And the first match shouldn't be a home side blowout simply because the greedy boards didn't schedule enough warmups for them.

Or always play the ODI's first so maybe that can serve as a little bit of the warmup (but should not replace the other FC warmup games ).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
howardj said:
Yeah it is a 4 Test series. I only put three in there as that would take us past the record (assuming the Zim tour gets canned).
Best news I've heard all day :cool:

Plan on touring Aus and seeing all matches that year. Only went to the Boxing Day test back in 2003, but even then that was great.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
Also, maybe make mandatory that each side must play at least two full three or four day games, maybe even three games to warm up. In places like India, NZ...warmup games are crucial as the conditions aren't really the same as anywhere else. I mean, everyone would like to see high quality cricket, right? And the first match shouldn't be a home side blowout simply because the greedy boards didn't schedule enough warmups for them.

Or always play the ODI's first so maybe that can serve as a little bit of the warmup (but should not replace the other FC warmup games ).
IMO the ODI series should always be played first. That's why I like the SA home series, as they had the ODI series vs. Aus and vs. Ind (and NZ I'm sure too) first.

I guess in Aus its different though as they have the tri-series after the tests, as they need to fill the Boxing Day and 2nd Jan days as 1st day of test matches as per usual.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka got a Test Series in Australia next year, a month holiday for me :)

If Warne retires i think India or Sri Lanka will win or draw a Test Match and Australia wont get the streak. I can't see any of the possible replacements (excluding MacGill, as doubt he will be selected) winning a match of Australia on the last day, I can see them losing a game though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
chaminda_00 said:

If Warne retires i think India or Sri Lanka will win or draw a Test Match and Australia wont get the streak. I can't see any of the possible replacements (excluding MacGill, as doubt he will be selected) winning a match of Australia on the last day, I can see them losing a game though.
I don't know about spin outside of MacGill, but a couple of their fast bowlers coming up look mighty good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
chaminda_00 said:

Don't see what Warne has to do with whether Australia can beat India or not. Its almost always about what fast bowling attack Australia put out.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Don't see what Warne has to do with whether Australia can beat India or not. Its almost always about what fast bowling attack Australia put out.
On the last day of a match and the pitch is turning they u would need a quailty spinner to win them a match. But if the quicks do the job on the first couple days, then it wont matter. But if its close and comes down to the last day the ability or inablity of the spinner could make the difference.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
To answer the original question, I don't think they will do it. Even if weather doesn't interrupt, I just get the feeling one of the next two tests will be a loss, or at the very least, a draw. I also do not see us clean sweeping India, particularly in the first couple of tests.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:

If Warne retires before that match, which I seriously doubt, I'd put money on MacGill replacing him. There aren't any other spinners in the country who are up to international standard, and I don't see the selectors playing four quicks and an all rounder, who very likely would be Shane Watson.

R_D

International Debutant
Alot will ovbiously depend on if Aus win next 2 matches and also whether Glen Mcgrath's body can hold up during the world cup. I don't think they can do it though..
This is so jibbed... why does india always tour Aus when i plan to go to india. Might have to cancel the trip now :@

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The recent news regarding the potential loss of half an attack makes this a bit less likely to me.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
SirBloody Idiot said:
If Warne retires before that match, which I seriously doubt, I'd put money on MacGill replacing him. There aren't any other spinners in the country who are up to international standard, and I don't see the selectors playing four quicks and an all rounder, who very likely would be Shane Watson.
Oh dear. That's a candidate for the Grieg.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Still plausible though. They'll be around for the next two tests, and I think there's decent backup for McGrath right now. Obviously you can't find a like replacement for such a champion, but Clark is doing a fine job and Johnson, Tait and Hilfenhaus is a pretty good start in terms of looking for a new seamer.

MacGill isn't totally hopeless either. Australia might well miss out on the streak, but I don't think losing Warne and McGrath will really be responsible for it.