• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Steven Smith Question

Victor Ian

International Coach
Nah. It is not subjective. You just think so because you are wrong.

People love textbook batting. Textbook batting is written to ensure you become a good batsman. Since TPC is better than all the textbook batsmen they will rewrite the books soon enough. Then they will be saying he is a delight to watch.

Watch the bit at 30 seconds. How can you not love this guy?

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Nah. It is not subjective. You just think so because you are wrong.

People love textbook batting. Textbook batting is written to ensure you become a good batsman. Since TPC is better than all the textbook batsmen they will rewrite the books soon enough. Then they will be saying he is a delight to watch.

Watch the bit at 30 seconds. How can you not love this guy?

Well that's me convinced!!! Roll on Melbourne, can't wait to watch him bat!!

Do me a favour, he's horrible. Very effective, very effective indeed at the moment, but he'll never be anything other than an arduous watch, IN MY OPINION. :D

Burner

International Regular
Ugliest ****er on the planet as far as batting is concerned. It doesn't matter though. His team wouldn't care how he gets them and if the opposition doesn't like the fact that he looks ugly along with the fact that they just can't get him out, then that should be more incentive to him.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought David Gower was one of the ugliest batsmen I ever saw, personally. Who gives a **** about style anyway? Bat whatever way you want if you're going to have runs like this.

Burner

International Regular
He's so effective that it doesn't matter what you think of his batting anyway. He is not easy on my eyes at all but I still like to watch him in a sort of why-is-this-happening interest.

Gob

International Coach
Is there any footage of his Cape town 84 when he decided to randomly lift Morkel and Philander back down the ground for sixers. I'd really like to know if anyone finds that kind of batting ugly/boring.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root is far more boring to watch than Smith. So is KW. Kohli the only other one who is as pleasing to watch as TPC

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Personally I find Smith rather entertaining but for the wrong reasons (rather like Chanderpaul). Very crab-like. And he has these moments when he flaps and does these weird feminine spasms and nervous tics. He looks like he should be a walking wicket yet he has Bradman-esque returns and nobody has the slightest clue on how to get him out. It is very entertaining.

Woodster

International Captain
Personally I find Smith rather entertaining but for the wrong reasons (rather like Chanderpaul). Very crab-like. And he has these moments when he flaps and does these weird feminine spasms and nervous tics. He looks like he should be a walking wicket yet he has Bradman-esque returns and nobody has the slightest clue on how to get him out. It is very entertaining.
One of the reasons that makes cricket so great is the fact that some people love certain traits and styles of play in some players while other people cannot bear to watch them!

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
One of the reasons that makes cricket so great is the fact that some people love certain traits and styles of play in some players while other people cannot bear to watch them!
I didn't say he is aesthetically pleasing. I do not find him dull. He is too unorthodox to be dull. Stodge merchants like Cook tend to bore me and Smith isn't a stodgy player. Moeen Ali is probably the most pleasing batsman in this Ashes and he is having a shocker.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I didn't say he is aesthetically pleasing. I do not find him dull. He is too unorthodox to be dull. Stodge merchants like Cook tend to bore me and Smith isn't a stodgy player. Moeen Ali is probably the most pleasing batsman in this Ashes and he is having a shocker.
Agreed. Ultra-orthodox percentages players are the most boring. Cook, Atherton, Collingwood (even though he was more bottom-handed than textbook).

And then there's the plain ugly shovellers like Graeme Smith, who deserve a circle of hell all of their own ...

Woodster

International Captain
Agreed. Ultra-orthodox percentages players are the most boring. Cook, Atherton, Collingwood (even though he was more bottom-handed than textbook).

And then there's the plain ugly shovellers like Graeme Smith, who deserve a circle of hell all of their own ...
I quite enjoyed watching the grit of someone like Collingwood, because invariably he'd come in with us under the cosh and he'd fight and scrap like mad to get us to respectability. I'd imagine he was a very difficult watch for the neutral! Like I say, it's what makes the game great!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah. I love players with trigger movements too. Different batting styles and shots make watching cricket interesting. Loved players like Lara, Ponting, Klusenar etc. with their exaggerated movements, an exception being Sachin.

anil1405

International Captain
That cover drive he played in the recently concluded test where he used his wrists to place the ball through covers was a scintillating shot to watch.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah. I love players with trigger movements too. Different batting styles and shots make watching cricket interesting. Loved players like Lara, Ponting, Klusenar etc. with their exaggerated movements, an exception being Sachin.
Can't recall him ever having one