• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Stephen Fleming Appreciation Society

Flem274*

123/5
Bet you're surprised I made this:happy:

What it says on the tin really, my summary on him is:

Batsman: Good batsman, conversion rate was what stopped him from being an NZ great
Slip: One of the greats
Captain: One of the greats

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I would like some nut out there to calculate what his averages would have been had he converted the 60-90s to 100s.

I like him as a captain because he's pro-active and always jump a few steps ahead of the opposition captain (Certain Smith fella comes to mind).

Flem274*

123/5
I would like some nut out there to calculate what his averages would have been had he converted the 60-90s to 100s.

I like him as a captain because he's pro-active and always jump a few steps ahead of the opposition captain (Certain Smith fella comes to mind).
I think it was worked out that if he converted half his 50s to 100s he'd average at least 45.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

He made 27 scores between 60 and 90. Of scores between 60 and 90 he averaged 80.45, so 20 extra runs per innings times 27 is 540 extra runs in total.

Bumps his average up to about 43.1.

Correct me if I did the above wrong. :laugh:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Averages 45 overseas, which is more than Crowe did. Think he's incredibly underrated on this front.

Somewhat dire at home, has to be said.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Hmmm, maybe Fleming always looking good but getting out in the 50-100 range when set had a negative effect on the other batsmen in the team, hence the distinct lack of centuries from NZ batsmen in the 2000s.

Now that he is gone, hopefully his influence will go with him.

Redbacks

International Captain
Great skipper and probably if he played in a more consistently successful test side would have averaged closer to 50
even if that is somewhat of a self-fulfilling phophecy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll post some proper analysis of why Fleming the batsman disappointed me a little sometime. Don't have time right now. But yes, one of the very best slip-fielders, and a superb captain for a long time.

Along with Astle and McMillan, one of my favourite New Zealand players who was in the team when I first noticed that New Zealand had a cricket team, and remained in there for a good few years.

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
One of the best players to watch when on song and could play all the shots. He was plagued by the inability to convert starts but he has been the bright light in NZ cricket for many years now and his captaincy skills will be sorely missed. I thought it was extremely insulting for the New Zealand board to strip him of the captaincy after he stepped down from the one day after all he has contributed but it was good for him to get his average over 40.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol... why couldn't you guys appreciate him when he was active???

Anyways, good batsman and a good captain, slightly over rated as a captain for me, he had his share of bad moments as a captain..... And his aggro stuff always looked very artificial to me, whenever he did do it.

But still, quite easily one of the better captains I have seen, alongside Taylor and Ranatunga and Sourav Ganguly....... And tactically, for me, only Taylor comes close to him and even then, I think Fleming was better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The dates I first noticed international countries had cricket teams:
England: 1992
Pakistan: 1992
Australia: 1993
West Indies: 1994
South Africa: 1994
India: 1996
New Zealand: 1996
Sri Lanka: 1998
Zimbabwe: 1999

Date I first started to take much notice of who played for international teams:
England: 1992
South Africa: 1998
Everyone else: 1999

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They don't any more, haven't since April 2003. But they used to. And in 1999, they had a pretty damn good one.

Well, good enough to knock England out of their own World Cup anyway. :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has to be the WACA 2001/02 Test really - scored a century, and almost won the game (very possibly would have but for Ian Robinson). Had he done so, he'd have been the only captain to captain a side to victory in Australia in the last 15 years.

We'll forget for a moment that but for rain he could perfectly possibly have been 2-0 down going into the game. But then the only other team to win a series in Australia in the last 20 years, West Indies in 1992/93, were also exceedingly fortunate to do so.