• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Refereeing Thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone else noticed international refs are now calling less fouls than Premiership ones? Always expecting players to get the free kick when they decide to fall over under pressure, but usually they don’t. It’s much better.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've only seen about half of the games so far but haven't noticed any clangers yet. Can't be a bad sign.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Anyone else noticed international refs are now calling less fouls than Premiership ones? Always expecting players to get the free kick when they decide to fall over under pressure, but usually they don’t. It’s much better.
Was having a similar conversation with a friend the other day who made a similar observation and was thinking how things have changed as recall especially with UCL highlights on ITV in years past they would suggest foreign refs are almost too soft in giving fouls - a point made generally and then especially for goalkeepers

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
France v Portugal was the only really poor refereeing performance. Pep was worried before the CL Final having seen this bloke make up his own rules before. Hopefully he’ll be sent home before the knockouts.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
France v Portugal was the only really poor refereeing performance. Pep was worried before the CL Final having seen this bloke make up his own rules before. Hopefully he’ll be sent home before the knockouts.
I thought he was rubbish for the Scotland v England game as well. No massive game changing clangers, but I don't think I'd trust him to get big calls right.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A mildly interesting postscript to the England/Ukraine match. The referee didn’t add on any added time. There should certainly have been some. Obviously there was little point, but I don’t recall a referee using that sort of common sense or discretion before.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A mildly interesting postscript to the England/Ukraine match. The referee didn’t add on any added time. There should certainly have been some. Obviously there was little point, but I don’t recall a referee using that sort of common sense or discretion before.
When TRFC shipped seven at home to Spurs, the ref stuck a token 1 on. Given six goals came in the second half and there were other stoppages it was obviously a mercy kill. But tonights was just straight to the point.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought 2 minutes was now the standard for those situations. I guess this being the biggest game of the Ukrainian players' lives made it more imperative to put them out of their misery asap.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The refereeing was pretty good. With England going the distance there was no chance of Oliver and Attwell screwing up the Final.