• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Premiership vs La Liga & the Trials of the English & Spanish national sides.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man Utd won practically every game between January and the end of the season. It's down to part choke and part Man Utd getting up and doing something.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Is the Romanian league that good as well, a bit surprised to see the Scottish League behind them.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Gazza, Platt, Ince, Woodgate, Owen, Beckham i think (off the top of my head) are the only major ones that have since i got into football. I don't count Hargreaves as his nationality is all over the place.

Then there's other people like Daniele Dichio and Lee Sharpe who played in Italy for a little while, but basically moved back within a season.
Peter Crouch has been abroad too. Some Swedish team, iirc.

Nigel Martyn, Lee Bowyer, Jonathan Woodgate, Rio Ferdinand, Alan Smith, Nick Barmby, Paul Robinson and Aaron Lennon have all played in France, too.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
IFK Hässleholm.

(Currently in Swedish Division Three Group South. The season Crouch played for them, they played in Division Three Group Southern Götaland, but were relegated to Division Four Group Southern Götaland after a play-off.)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Excuse me, John Aldridge was a highly successful export. Legend. Finished in the top 2 or 3 scorers both seasons, before returning home.

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:

Nigel Martyn, Lee Bowyer, Jonathan Woodgate, Rio Ferdinand, Alan Smith, Nick Barmby, Paul Robinson and Aaron Lennon have all played in France, too.
So did Jenas and Shearer used to play in Germany or Luxembourg?

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
IFK Hässleholm.

(Currently in Swedish Division Three Group South. The season Crouch played for them, they played in Division Three Group Southern Götaland, but were relegated to Division Four Group Southern Götaland after a play-off.)
What season was that?

Never knew he played in Sweden :wacko:

Craig

World Traveller
Clearly I haven't got the game yet.

So is there an inside joke that I'm missing or what?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
oh man, just seen this thread, the idea of the permiership being as good as the spanish primera liga is just laughable. Same can be said for the international sides as well probably.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
sledger said:
oh man, just seen this thread, the idea of the permiership being as good as the spanish primera liga is just laughable. Same can be said for the international sides as well probably.
Yep, the Spanish side can only dream of being as good as England. :p

Matteh

Samuel_Vimes said:
Yep, the Spanish side can only dream of being as good as England. :p
At least we didn't lose to Northern Ireland....erm....in the last year. :cool:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
barring rooney, terry, ashley cole and gerrard, there is not one english player who would make the spanish team, of that i am confident.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
sledger said:
barring rooney, terry, ashley cole and gerrard, there is not one english player who would make the spanish team, of that i am confident.
That's four. Besides, you could pick Phil Neville to replace Raúl on current form.

Anyway, that's not the point; Lehmann, Klose, Ballack, Schweinsteiger (yikes...mental image...) and possibly Lahm would be the only German players who would make the English team, yet Germany are several notches above England in international football at present, 1-1 draw with Cyprus notwithstanding. Spain have good footballers, and a very good league, but that doesn't make a good national team: they're quite frankly not in contention for anything. At least England can rate themselves among the top 10 sides of the world. Spain are scratching top 20.

Matteh

I'd say Schneider would definitely be in contention for the England team too.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
sledger said:
Owen, Scholes if still playing IMO.

Anyway, 4 or 6, whatever way you look at it, is a considerable portion of a team.