• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Power of Hypocrisy - an anti BCCI rant

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not going to get into a slanging match with you but I think it's fair to say that any thread involving Indian and/or the BCCI quickly becomes a train-wreck because the usual suspects come out of the woodwork and make the same old tired excuses rather than attempting to argue in a logical fashion
yeah.. glad you can judge yourself so clearly.. :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If you aren't claiming that powerful sport organization must necessarily be nontransparent, then I am not sure how the concept of powerful nations applies?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
We don't play cricket on Mars ffs, we still play it on this little thing called earth/world.:p
Nope, I just asked you something else.
Don't reply to a question with a question ****. This is why I hate debates.:p
I am not sure what the question is. You mean a country that is transparent? I'd say most modern western democracies are relatively generally transparent.

The BCCI has failed to popularise( or make it a hot topic among cricket fans )the Ranji Trophy the oldest cricket tourney in India

any comments??

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't find any. Mind telling me? I'd be happy to address them.
I’ll be as brief as possible
1. Aboriginals
The most common criticism of Howard in this regard is his refusal to say sorry to the aboriginal community for the atrocities committed against the so-called stolen generation.
The fact is that, as Prime Minister, he did personally apologize - "I feel deep sorrow for those of my fellow Australians who suffered injustices under the practices of past generations towards indigenous people. Equally, I am sorry for the hurt and trauma many here today may continue to feel, as a consequence of these practices”
However, he did refuse to provide a parliamentary "apology" as he argued this was inappropriate because "Australians of this generation should not be required to accept guilt and blame for past actions and policies.”
Given that I’m an Australian of the current generation and don’t feel that I have anything to apologize for, I agree with him in this regard.
In other areas of aboriginal relations, his reviews are mixed - just like virtually any other Aus politician tbh
2. Howard supports apartheid
Clearly rubbish with no further evidence required than the sacking and removal from the party of a pro-apartheid Minister from a government of which he was Deputy Leader.
If Howard held the same views, he’d have gone the same way.
3. Sanctions against South Africa
Howard is on record as saying that sanctions don’t work as, for example in the case of South Africa, "sanctions will inevitably hurt the poor blacks in South Africa more than any other section of the South African population."
Given that I have intimate knowledge regarding the current situation in Iran, I can tell you that he was, and is, absolutely correct.
4. Conflict with position regarding sanctions against Zimbabwe
People obviously don’t realize that these were measures directly targeted at Mugabe and his cronies (Australian bilateral sanctions: Zimbabwe), not at the Zimbabwean people and are therefore fundamentally different to those he opposed against South Africa.
Anyway, it was little more than a token gesture because it was obvious that Black Africa (including the lackies in Pretoria) didn’t give a **** about how many people died and would therefore never have much of an impact without their support.
In the meantime, the Howard Government gave tens of millions of dollars in humanitarian aid to the people of Zimbabwe via charitable organizations such as Unicef – if only their own government cared half as much!
5. Afghanistan & Iraq
Sure the world was sold a bill of goods in relation to WMDs but to dismiss our involvement as some money making exercise is so absurd as to defy belief (as, btw, is the notion that the people of those countries were better off before-hand - I've actually been to both places).
Firstly, it’s a fact that other countries stand to benefit more in a financial sense than any member of the Coalition of the Dipsticks
And secondly, Australia is a signatory to a little thing called the ANZUS Treaty i.e. we’re an ally with the US (and thank **** for that as we might be speaking Japanese if not for them and, btw, the national drink of India might be vodka but that’s another discussion) and so there is a sense of obligation
Anyway, as I've said many times, I'm no fan of Howard but the some of criticisms levelled at him are just nonsense and IMO nothing more than a smoke-screed behind which to hide nationalistic bias

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
I’ll be as brief as possible
1. Aboriginals
The most common criticism of Howard in this regard is his refusal to say sorry to the aboriginal community for the atrocities committed against the so-called stolen generation.
The fact is that, as Prime Minister, he did personally apologize - "I feel deep sorrow for those of my fellow Australians who suffered injustices under the practices of past generations towards indigenous people. Equally, I am sorry for the hurt and trauma many here today may continue to feel, as a consequence of these practices”
However, he did refuse to provide a parliamentary "apology" as he argued this was inappropriate because "Australians of this generation should not be required to accept guilt and blame for past actions and policies.”
Given that I’m an Australian of the current generation and don’t feel that I have anything to apologize for, I agree with him in this regard.
In other areas of aboriginal relations, his reviews are mixed - just like virtually any other Aus politician tbh
2. Howard supports apartheid
Clearly rubbish with no further evidence required than the sacking and removal from the party of a pro-apartheid Minister from a government of which he was Deputy Leader.
If Howard held the same views, he’d have gone the same way.
3. Sanctions against South Africa
Howard is on record as saying that sanctions don’t work as, for example in the case of South Africa, "sanctions will inevitably hurt the poor blacks in South Africa more than any other section of the South African population."
Given that I have intimate knowledge regarding the current situation in Iran, I can tell you that he was, and is, absolutely correct.
4. Conflict with position regarding sanctions against Zimbabwe
People obviously don’t realize that these were measures directly targeted at Mugabe and his cronies (Australian bilateral sanctions: Zimbabwe), not at the Zimbabwean people and are therefore fundamentally different to those he opposed against South Africa.
Anyway, it was little more than a token gesture because it was obvious that Black Africa (including the lackies in Pretoria) didn’t give a **** about how many people died and would therefore never have much of an impact without their support.
In the meantime, the Howard Government gave tens of millions of dollars in humanitarian aid to the people of Zimbabwe via charitable organizations such as Unicef – if only their own government cared half as much!
5. Afghanistan & Iraq
Sure the world was sold a bill of goods in relation to WMDs but to dismiss our involvement as some money making exercise is so absurd as to defy belief (as, btw, is the notion that the people of those countries were better off before-hand - I've actually been to both places).
Firstly, it’s a fact that other countries stand to benefit more in a financial sense than any member of the Coalition of the Dipsticks
And secondly, Australia is a signatory to a little thing called the ANZUS Treaty i.e. we’re an ally with the US (and thank **** for that as we might be speaking Japanese if not for them and, btw, the national drink of India might be vodka but that’s another discussion) and so there is a sense of obligation
Anyway, as I've said many times, I'm no fan of Howard but the some of criticisms levelled at him are just nonsense and IMO nothing more than a smoke-screed behind which to hide nationalistic bias

I don't remember raising 1,2 but here's a pre-ICC controversy article on Howard & racism to provide a more complete picture, including on the quote you selectively mention.
When talk of racism is just not cricket - Opinion - smh.com.au

On 4, let me ask the question Sambit Bal did. If Howard really has this moral imperative against Mugabe & cronies - why did he fly there to canvass support for his ICC election?

5: There are other countries - Canada, France, Germany being the ones that jump immediately to mind - who have similar treaties with the US (through NATO) & have similar obligations to the US.

You also chose to ignore some relevant points that were raised. Specifically:
- Any reasoning of joining the Iraq war needs to be an internationally acceptable one if we are to regard Howard as an international statesman that he's presented to be. Any Australia-centric reasoning (such as what you've provided) wouldn't be appropriate for consideration by other countries.
- Random mouthing off on matters such as Murali's bowling action? (Relevant to cricket, no?)
- And most of all by a country mile, if increasing professionalism in the ICC was the goal, why did CA not support the candidacy of John Anderson? (The last one btw, is a huge reason why I personally did not care for Howard's candidacy - check archives from a few months ago. I consider the move from a politician with an on-paper involvement in sports administration - i.e. Pawar - to another that didn't have even that, Howard, as a backwards step .Nothing personal against Howard, but such moves have to be swatted away. )

jeevan

International 12th Man
Fortunately, my 4 year old has now learnt that "he did it first" is no excuse for bad behaviour and that everyone is responsible for their own actions

Really the most pathetic excuse and below the level of someone of your obvious intelligence
Tell that to the "if Pawar could get it, why not Howard" crowd.