• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Public Enquiry

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
How did this happen, why did this happen, and exactly what happened? Add to the points if you feel...

1) Be Prepared? Doubt it.

This will be thrown up time and time again, but just two 3 day games and a one day game was considered suitable preperation. It seemed dodgy at the time, and now is being labelled on of the biggest reasons we were such a shambles.

2) Selection: point a)

This was enevitable. The first point i will raise is this. You have a young, fired up lad who loves his cricket more than all the *** and violence in the world. He has had the summer of his life, one that any player would put down as a great year and hailed as one of the best spinners England has had since Tufnell. Why, oh why did we pick a guy who hasnt played a proffesional game in more than a year? Twice? Maybe they felt experience was the best way to go, But Monty has been to India, played Pakistan and dealt with sri lanka. When your facing players like Tendulkar, Ul-Haq, and Jayawardene, and you can take their wickets in the flick of the wrist (Literally) you have gained a suitable amount of experience

(No Malice to Giles, I feel for him, his wife, and his family. Get Well soon Mrs Giles

Selection point B

Jones for Read: "Jones has been selected for his batting ability" . Really? Could have fooled me. Now, Geraint tries hard, and gives 110 everytime, but crickets not based on that. After Read made half centuries against pakistan, he finds his isnt involved in the next test. Selectors seemed to have bottled it,a nd try to stick with the 2005 team, instead of involving those with better form, and better fitness.

3) The Australians themselves

There has never been so much anticipation over an ashes series. the Aussies were wanting blood and they drew it, time afetr time after time. Fantastically positive cricket, and effictively, we had no answer

4) Attack? Defend? No? the other way round?

It seemed to be when England needed an attacking dispaly, they became more negative than a Victor Meldrew Monolougue. You could say that they shouldve attacked more in Adelaide. And When England needed to be conservative, and not try and push hard, they pushed hard. I remeber a few times in Brisbane, where they were Chasing wide ones and hooking the ball into the air

5) Wrongful Dismissal

It happened to the Aussies last year, and it looks like we suffered twice as bad. Of course, the majority have been minimal, but far too frequent. With the Home crowd (Not the Barmy Army, but the Aussies) applying the pressure, aswell as a constipated looking Shane Warne and Adam Gilchrist. Was it an edge? Has it hit him in line? Is that out? No, No, and no.

6) Give em ten more minutes...

This of course reffering to Englands "Undercooked" Bowling attack

Anderson - No first class Cricket for 10 months, he gets thrown in at the deep end
Giles - In the same situation as Anderson
Flintoff - Major doubts over his fitness, a rushed recovery which leads to a botched series
Harmison - Since about May, he has looked woeful. Thats all I can say

7) Sick notes.... Lots of Sick notes

Could principally be the equivalent to point 6.

Vaughan, Trescothick, Simon Jones, Half-fit Freddie, Giles and Anderson, and thats 7 already. When your in a state like this, its going to be hard to beat anybody

8) Your just a bunch of Jellyfish!

England have no Backbone. When their spineless back were up against the wall, they crumbled, and showed no fight whatsoever. Mentally, they never seemed up for it. Adelaide pretty much sums up the sentimenst of this point. Why didn't you do more about it? Why not try and attack? Why sit back and let them chase down a seemingly hard target?

9) Coach? More like Taxi for Fletcher!

He has come under a lot of fire recently, and the way he has set the lads playing, he is going to bear the brunt of it. The One-day side and the shocking test series that was the Sri Lankan shambles seem to bring heavy case evidence against Fletcher. Also, the Coaching staff, and all those behing the scenes, deciding tor elease key member sof the staff. Yeah, you all know who i am talking about...

10) The Heat is on

In England, anything over 30 degrees is classed as a heatwave and global warming in full swing. Anything lower in australia, and it is being called an ice age. Now, I know players should be able to adapt to this sort of thing, but when you are involved in such an intense event like the ashes, its twice as hot. Maybe a weaker point, but lets face it, its a weak team

And that is just ten ways to lose an ashes series. Remeber, I'm that annoying kid from Nottingham who has only been following cricket for a couple of years, but I think I already know everthing. So if this thread seems too crap to believe, just ignore it and move on.

And if you want to elaborate on stuff, knock yourself out!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Talking to a few guys who went over to England, they reckon a 30 degree day is a lot "hotter", as such, in England than in Australia. Also, most players have been to the sub-continent, which is a different (and probably more exhausting) type of heat.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Talking to a few guys who went over to England, they reckon a 30 degree day is a lot "hotter", as such, in England than in Australia.
:blink:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
11. Lack of Marcus Trescothick.

Low opening partnerships usually equal low scores. Cook has done well, but is never going to dominate attacks, while Strauss' efforts to become the dominant partner are clearly putting him ill at ease. For as long as Marcus Trescothick is out of the international game - so perhaps forever - we'll be lacking an opener capable of partnering Strauss as effectively.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Massively out-played and out-classed for most of the first 3 tests, showed signs of getting on top a few times but couldn't sustain it and the Aussies eventually ran over them every time.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Set me off again...

12. The Captaincy

Is Andrew Flintoff, as a captain, responsible for some of this?