• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Matt79 said:
I just now watched Munich on DVD. Very well done - great performances by the cast as whole, but particularly by Eric Bana and Geoffrey Rush. I thought Speilberg did a very good job of depicting the fact that both sides of the conflict feel they are in the right, yet both end up doing quite awful things. Certainly made me think during it, and I suspect over the coming days. 9/10 for me.
Yeah, I loved the movie when I saw it too. One of my favourite films from 2005 though it could very well be my favourite as well.

pasag

RTDAS
Hated Munich tbh. Nothing against the message, but poor over-acting, poor directing and a **** poor script make it the worst film of last year for mine. Speilbergs worst. Most cringeworthy movie ever.

pasag

RTDAS
Nope it was total crap, everything about it. One of the worst movies I have ever watched. I was having doubts about Speilberg being any good for sometime and the movie confirmed his status as 'best ever' is merely an 'emperors new clothes' situation.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watched the Break Up, The Hole and Art School Confidential last night.

Break Up was your average romcom rubbish, but refreshing in that they didn't get back together in the end.
The Hole is alright, good enough to watch every now and again.
Art School Confidential justifies another watch soon i reckon.

Matt79

Global Moderator
pasag said:
Hated Munich tbh. Nothing against the message, but poor over-acting, poor directing and a **** poor script make it the worst film of last year for mine. Speilbergs worst. Most cringeworthy movie ever.
You can't seriously say it was worse than AI.

I thought Bana was great. Rush chewed the scenary a bit but that's him and his character's screen time was limited enough that it wasn't a problem for me. Daniel Craig had me somewhat worried a few times but I thought the rest of his team were good.

I thought the entire film had a slightly frenetic and surreal vibe to it - maybe what you felt was over-acting. To me, it represented Avner's frame of mind as he submerged himself in this world and completely lost where the edges were - and did so really well. Some of the moralising speeches were slightly hokey, but its a pretty serious ethical puzzle they're dealing with, and if you're ever going to make a speech like that, this was when it was called for.

The dream sequences where he "flashed-back" to the Munish siege were a bit awkward for mine, but necessary to attempt to explain how Avner's character became obsessed and consumed by what he was doing.

I saw it as a big return to form for Senor Spielbergo - apart from anything else, no naff kid in the lead!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Saw The Devil Wears Prada and Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 (finally) in the cinema in the last week. Watched a whole bunch on TV, but none of the ones I hadn't seen before warrant a mention.

TDWP was alright, though I wouldn't recommend it really. A few laughs, and Streep was pretty good and generally carried the film, but it wasn't all that memorable. The Pirates sequel was entertaining, though I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the first.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched Trainspotting yesterday. The similarities between young Renton and Fuller are uncanny, and hopefully Fuller too will "choose life".

pasag

RTDAS
I've had that in my collection for ages but have never watched it. Might do so tonight.

Recommended?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
pasag said:
I've had that in my collection for ages but have never watched it. Might do so tonight.

Recommended?
Yeah, loved it. Can't believe it's been sitting on your shelf and you haven't given it a look.

pasag

RTDAS
Also have Monster, Catch 22, Happiness.

Will get stuck into them over the next couple of days.

masterblaster

International Captain
I really want to see The Departed, but before I do I made sure I saw the original Hong Kong film, Infernal Affairs and I absolutely loved it. The Departed will have to do a lot to match the style, atmosphere and overall greatness of Infernal Affairs.

I also just saw Edmond starring William H Macy, in what was a really weird, but really fascinating film. It's not for the faint of heart and there's some really powerful acting by Macy as well as by Julia Stiles, who only has a very short role in the film. A really different and weird film, but an entertaining one nonetheless.

So for this week,

Infernal Affairs (2002) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338564/
Edmond (2005) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443496/

Son Of Coco

Hall of Fame Member
Napola on SBS. It was really good - a story about young guys sent to Hitler's Youth Schools, what they had to do, and the effect it had on them. Some pretty harrowing scenes, but a great movie.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Saw The Departed. A couple of flaws that stop it being a masterpiece, but very very good IMO. 8 out of 10.

Pothas

Hall of Fame Member
two great horror films based on Stephen King novels:
The Shinning
Carrie

also:
Kill Bill 1 and 2. Somewhat critisized films and admitadly not as good as Tarintino's greatest work but i think they look great and very entertaining

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Watched A History Of Violence and Two For The Money yesterday, 2 films I'd been meaning to see in the cinemas but was too lazy to go.

I'm not sure if I liked A History Of Violence, and its not often after a film I sit there going "Did I like that?" I found it very intriguing, and Viggo Mortensen was brilliant. Maria Bello was excellent as well, she seems to be the queen of *** scenes in Hollywood movies. The Cooler and now this flick.

What I didn't like was the scene where Mortensen goes to his brother's near the end. I won't spoil, but I just felt it was unncessary, and sort of soured the film. But then the final scene is really smartly shot and written, so maybe that makes up for it. Not sure.

I'll give it 7.5/10

I loved Two For The Money, it was a very entertaining film. Its not perfect, nor is it an Earth shattering film which will blow your mind, but its a genuinely entertaining flick, and I liked the idea behind it (especially since I'm a gambling buff), and I felt the film was fairly well written. From the previews I thought it was going to be similar to The Devil's Own (without all the Satan stuff) with Pacino being the evil rich guy sucking in an innocent but talented southern guy into the big bucks, but making them sell their soul (except this time it'd be gambling instead of being a lawyer). I was pleasantly surprised to see it was very different, with Pacino's character being totally different, basically a nice but troubled guy.

Speaking of Pacino, he did an excellent job as usual. You got the feeling that he was rich and successful, but could lose it all any second because of how unstable he was. Russo has finally started to age, but she's still excellent. Matthew McConaughey is a little underrated for mine, but then again when you only see him popping up in films like The Wedding Planner, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Failure To Launch its hard to rate him as a serious actor, but I reckon he was great in EdTV and this film was probably his best performance. Also watch for Jeremy Piven, he's pure gold in this movie. He always is to be fair, but this role was made for him, even if it is only minor.

Overall, great flick about the ups and downs of gambling, and the moral challenges of being involved in the business. Americanised since its based around NFL gambling, so that may put some people off, but other than that I recommend it for a good watch.

8/10