• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Food/Cooking/Eating thread

indiaholic

International Captain
It is Portuguese.. Immediately makes you suspicious about what the restaurants are serving in the name of south indian food.

harsh.ag

Hall of Fame Member
No idea whether you have tried it harsh, but find a mallu restaurant and try Karimeen Pollichatu which is a marinated pearl spot fish which is wrapped in banana leaves and cooked. May just be due to growing up with it, but I can't think of any dish that makes me happier.
Shall do. Visiting Bombay soon and there is a nice mallu restaurant I know of there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Do you get south indian food in the UK? Or do the Indian restaurants serve mostly north indian fare?
Think it really depends whereabouts your local "Indian" community originally hails from.

Most of Glasgow's Indian/Pakistani community can trace their roots back to the Punjab, so the Indian food you get here will be mostly influenced by Punjabi cuisine, as far as I understand it.

Shri

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No idea whether you have tried it harsh, but find a mallu restaurant and try Karimeen Pollichathu which is a marinated pearl spot fish which is wrapped in banana leaves and cooked. May just be due to growing up with it, but I can't think of any dish that makes me happier.

Good call.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Do you get south indian food in the UK? Or do the Indian restaurants serve mostly north indian fare?
Having said that most restaurants will serve South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken but I've absolutely no idea if it's even remotely authentic.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gravy's often not an option out of the chippy.

Think we're at cross purposes, I'm not talking about home cooking, I'm talking about getting something from the chippy.
Nah, we're one and the same, a chippy not doing gravy is look a football ground having no goalposts. wtf

Teja.

Global Moderator
Mallu food is the best cuisine.

They have a variation of a naan/paratha called the Kerala Parotta which has to be the best indian bread variant by far. Canteen in college was a run by a mallu dude and to this day having naan when I go out for dinner feels like such a huge downgrade. It's lighter than a naan, fluffier and goes so much better with spicy meat curries.

Pic:

Also love the beef cutlets, beef fry and prawn fry you get in Kerala. Just an all round fantastic place for non-vegetarian food.

A colleague from Lucknow also got a ****lead of homemade seekh kababs coming back from home today which were incredible. Stuff like kebabs are 100x better when they're made at home.

harsh.ag

Hall of Fame Member
Can confirm, Parotta is the best and naan is a downgrade. Though Parotta isn't lighter than a naan, since it has more fat, it's definitely fluffier, and the best thing with meat curries.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Nah, we're one and the same, a chippy not doing gravy is look a football ground having no goalposts. wtf
When I was a kid, fish & chip shops in Australia NEVER had gravy. Most people would just get plain salt then add tomato sauce at home. Maybe some tartar sauce for the fish.

Now a lot have gravy, think a lot more people like eating chip with gravy and cheese nowadays.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Good call.
That looks dead set amazing.........I'm salivating looking at it!!

I think I may actually be getting on board with what Zorax has been saying. While you Indians are posting/discussing beautiful food like this.........the Westerners are talking about chips and ****ing gravy.

Last edited:

Pothas

Hall of Fame Member
Having said that most restaurants will serve South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken but I've absolutely no idea if it's even remotely authentic.
Yeah my local does a fantastic (everything they do is fantastic) South Indian Chicken but no idea if it has any basis in the real thing, or if there even is a real thing.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Mallu food is the best cuisine.

They have a variation of a naan/paratha called the Kerala Parotta which has to be the best indian bread variant by far. Canteen in college was a run by a mallu dude and to this day having naan when I go out for dinner feels like such a huge downgrade. It's lighter than a naan, fluffier and goes so much better with spicy meat curries.

Pic:

Also love the beef cutlets, beef fry and prawn fry you get in Kerala. Just an all round fantastic place for non-vegetarian food.

A colleague from Lucknow also got a ****lead of homemade seekh kababs coming back from home today which were incredible. Stuff like kebabs are 100x better when they're made at home.
There is a paratha called the puri paratha (and NO, it is NOT puri, its a paratha). It is the best thing ever with kebabs. Hard to find good of it outside Karachi (when in Pakistan). Highly recommended for kebab rolls

Shri

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah my local does a fantastic (everything they do is fantastic) South Indian Chicken but no idea if it has any basis in the real thing, or if there even is a real thing.
If it didn't look like this:

...it probably isn't. The picture is of an organic chicken and that is the full leg. So much better than broiler ****. I don't think I have eaten broiler chicken pumped full of hormones in years now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Chippy gravy is just powdered **** added to hot water. Gravy's for roasts and stuff.
Nah. Chippy gravy round here is good ****. The only chippy food I wouldn't have gravy with is the Chinese stuff. Pie/sausage/chicken dinner etc has to be swimming in gravy.

Gravy is the best

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok Shri you can stop posting pictures of this food now.........I have a pool of drool at my feet here!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If it didn't look like this:

...it probably isn't. The picture is of an organic chicken and that is the full leg. So much better than broiler ****. I don't think I have eaten broiler chicken pumped full of hormones in years now.
Doesn't look a million miles away from that tbh.