• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most aesthetically displeasing opening partnerships

Howe_zat

Audio File
King Cricket has posted an article suggesting that Rory Burn's one-eyed squint and Dom Sibley's leg side crabbing has the potential to form the least easy on the eye opening partnership in Test cricket.

My first thought was one of the many partners of AN Cook must be a good start, but then changed my mind. The key feature of Cook's batting was more its shot-free reptitiveness than its cack-handed inelegance.

Thoughts?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did Langer ever open with Katich? Or anyone other than Hayden for that matter

Because Langer got ugly runs with ugly shots. Probably a big reason why he isn't rated as highly as peers despite being every bit as good

Bijed

International Regular
Who's Elgar opened with over the last few years?

Katich/Hughes, for the few times they opened together, not exactly eye candy

Bijed

International Regular
I loved watching Hughes. His cuts looked brutal
My recollection is that when he got a shot (generally a cut) right it looked good, but he looked pretty awkward the rest of the time. Katich definitely the main culprit in this pairing though

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gary Kirsten and Herschelle Gibbs. Hated Gibbs' technique, played some classy strokes but his defence looked very bad when it went wrong.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sibley and Burns are definitely the ugliest in the last decade. Which isn't saying much.

If only Peter Fulton had batted with himself more often.I know he batted with Hamish Rutherford you c*nts, there's no difference really.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Geoff Marsh & Mark Taylor weren't the most stylish opening pair of their day.

Neil McKenzie & Morne Morkel opened a Test innings on one occasion.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
On a similar topic, Graham Gooch's batting stance. Aesthetically pleasing or displeasing? It's somewhat hypnotic, if anything.