• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Microwave Oven Appreciation Society

Lillian Thomson

International Coach
I know there's already a generic cooking thread, but that doesn't do justice to this immortal piece of genius engineering.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've been without one for 2 weeks.

I'm also one of those people who makes cups of tea then forgets about them.

It is not a good combination.

StephenZA

International Coach
I've been without one for 2 weeks.
Horror... last time mine broke went and bought a new one same day.

I'm also one of those people who makes cups of tea then forgets about them.

It is not a good combination.
I haven't had a kettle for 7 years since it conked out on me, the microwave is perfectly acceptable replacement.... similarly, of course I have often found coffee cups in the microwave early morning from the night before...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In work the Indian contingent always stick tinfoil in the microwave covering their dinners. I was always told this was dangerous but never causes any issues.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've forgotten my high school physics, but won't it become a Faraday cage and not heat up at all? I do know that if you wrap your cellphone in tinfoil, it will become unreachable.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've forgotten my high school physics, but won't it become a Faraday cage and not heat up at all? I do know that if you wrap your cellphone in tinfoil, it will become unreachable.
if you put your cellphone in tinfoil and put it in a microwave then you won't have a cellphone any more but a charred hunk of plastic and metal, having been burned to a crisp by the tinfoil catching fire. the physics is pretty simple: that much power ---> extremely large current generation in thin material ---> lots of heat ---> fire

In work the Indian contingent always stick tinfoil in the microwave covering their dinners. I was always told this was dangerous but never causes any issues.
idk, i've personally seen it go really really badly as the tinfoil more or less immediately catches fire. i guess it depends on the kind of tinfoil

Last edited:

mr_mister

Hall of Fame Member
I never use one anymore, except for the rare occasion i feel like microwave popcorn lol

If I'm feeling lazy uber eats.

And if I want to cook I do it properly with either stove/oven

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Microwaved foods are bad for health. Stove cooked foods any day.
Actually, I think the opposite may be closer to the truth. You might be confusing microwaved foods with pre-packaged foods designed to be microwaved i.e. the TV dinners.

Microwaving as a method of cooking tends to preserve a bit more of the micronutrients than most other methods. In general it is one of the healthiest methods of cooking along with steaming.

Of course, the actual food tends to matter more than the method.

Lillian Thomson

International Coach
It's comical how some people still think microwaves are somehow harmful to your health. One thing to avoid though is what my neighbour did. She had a doughnut that had gone a bit stale and decided to put in the microwave for 30 seconds to freshen it up. A good way to fill your house with black smoke.