• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Man Who Humbled The Don

the big bambino

International Captain
For a number of reasons based solely on cricket, I don't think he was ever playing for Australia. From what I've read he was no chucker though. Barlow had a reputation for being a bit of a tit.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Should have rolled him out for the second test of the Bodyline series and put Jardine firmly back in his ****ing box!

Tragic story though, what a shame he wasn't even given a test.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah would have been amazing if they let him play tests

Oh well our nation was a bunch of racist ****s back then

mr_mister

haha. we've still come a long way since back then, the generation from that era definitely had worse views than today, on average

we still have a long way to go though sure

the big bambino

International Captain
Seriously it would've been like picking Shaun Tait, and the way that turned proved they had a bit of insight then.

EDIT. Mind you I think Eddie was better then Tait.

Last edited:

mr_mister

yeah, don't think Tait had the wood over even Ponting/Martyn/Hayden like Gilbert did over Bradman

the big bambino

International Captain
Why Tait rather than Thommo or Tyson?
He was nowhere near Thommo or Tyson level. The comparison with Tait is the most reasonable. Extreme pace, sure. But he blew out inside a session. Gilbert's domination was to a degree fortuitous in that he got Bradman twice in Brisbane. He did very little anywhere else. It was a great effort though and he had to be good enough to convert the advantage. Besides I saw Tait give Steve Waugh some humpty in a domestic LO match. When on his game and in a short spell, its not far fetched seeing a man of his speed upset great batsmen.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Gilbert & Laurie Nash opening the attack in the bodyline series would've been interesting.

Great piece by the way. Excellent read.

Last edited:

stephen

I've played on Eddie Gilbert Oval though at the time it was not yet called that and I had no idea of the history of the place. Haunting backdrop with the asylum behind it. The oval itself was covered in kangaroo crap and was utterly terrible to field on.

Saw I guy get hit really badly in the box that game. He was hobbling and in obvious pain for the rest of the game but refused to call for an ambulance. Probably ended up costing him part of his manhood ITBT.