• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Legendy Truly Fast Bowler Retires! Waqar Younis moves on

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Waqar was badass no doubt.Definatly a "great" bowler.
If his prime wasnt cut short by injuries he probably would of been the best of all time but as it stands he was still one of them.

Sehwag309

Banned
It would be nice if he could become India's bowling coach...Strange but Pakistan is without the 2 WW's, Wasim, Waqar.

It's very painful for crowds to let their hero's go away. Recently, so many just went away. Waugh, Wasim, Waqar to name few. I get goose-bumps when I think Sachin will also retire (4-5 yrs), I actually started watching cricket becoz of him and a tease from a Pakistani friend while skiing in switzerland.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mecnun said:
He singlehandedly won matches for Pakistan. I will always remeber one of his spells in England where he took out four top batters in ENgland's second innings in space of 6 or 7 overs. I forget the rest of the series or when it was ..Gower did not even play a shot and his castle was taken with a new ball that pitched well outside off stupm and almost turned square..jog any memories? I am pretty sure Gower retired or was dropped after that series.
rgrds

(message snipped)
1992 was probably the series you were referring to.
He ended up taking the first 4 at the Oval in the decider.
Waqar had an 'up and down' series if I recall correctly - a couple of games he was simply woeful, yet in the others he was devastating.

That's probably how I will remember him as a player (other than taking the michael out of him a lot on here over the last couple of years) - 'devastating on his day'.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I think Waqar was a great bowler in his prime - I don't know that he has always done 'the right thing' though. Make of that what you will.
The last legendary fast bowler?
I think Glenn McGrath might have something to say about that.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
I think Waqar was a great bowler in his prime - I don't know that he has always done 'the right thing' though. Make of that what you will.
(bites tongue)

There'll be other great fast bowlers - there may be a few already making their way in the game (no, not SH)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:

You missed a word out - "Truly"

McGrath is by no stretch of the imagination a Truly Fast bowler.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Oh come now Marc - you are exercising your precocious talent for pedanticism yet again......McGrath is a fast bowler.......early in his career he bowled faster than he does now. Sound familiar?

Or shall we call Glenn a great 'fast - medium' bowler?

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would define a really true and great fast bowler who can really scare the batsman with their pace and who have good bouncers and toe crushing yorkers in their bags all the time. Waqar was certainly an agressive bowler and i am sorry to say Mcgrath is not close to a genuine fast aggressive bowler. He is a good line and length bowler but a defensive one.

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
tremendous tremendous bowler.........desrved to play on for a few years...
i remember him in the 92 series against england ....just after the world cup.
the guy was unplayable.
his performane against england in the natwest series 2001 was outstanding as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
Oh come now Marc - you are exercising your precocious talent for pedanticism yet again.
Why, because I don't feel McGrath was anywhere near as good an out-and-out quick bowler as Waqar - for me they're 2 different types of bowlers.

Kenny said:
McGrath is a fast bowler.......early in his career he bowled faster than he does now. Sound familiar?
That he may have done, but was he as successful as he has been since he cut his pace?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
That he may have done, but was he as successful as he has been since he cut his pace?
No.
You're probably right, we are probably talking about bowlers who can be (or could be) considered express.......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That was my point - I certainly wasn't putting McGrath down as I rate him very highly indeed, but as far as the genuine speedsters go, there's not been one as good as Waqar for a long time.