• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Jimmy Anderson Appreciation Thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It might be hard for him to get through two seasons. When fast bowlers decline it tends to happen rapidly. They lose a bit of nip and the ball that a year ago would catch the edge gets dispatched to the boundary. Look at Gillespie for the prime example.

Not saying it'll happen to Anderson but 35 is very old for a quick.

FBU

International Debutant
It might be hard for him to get through two seasons. When fast bowlers decline it tends to happen rapidly. They lose a bit of nip and the ball that a year ago would catch the edge gets dispatched to the boundary. Look at Gillespie for the prime example.

Not saying it'll happen to Anderson but 35 is very old for a quick.
Here are some

86 Tests - 3653.0 overs - 431 wickets - Hadlee 39
61 Tests - 2275.0 overs - 228 wickets - Lindwall 38
132 Tests - 5003.1 overs - 519 wickets - Walsh 38
71 Tests - 2337.4 overs - 233 wickets - Martin 38
51 Tests - 2653.0 overs - 236 wickets - Bedser 37
98 Tests - 3683.5 overs - 405 wickets - Ambrose 36
124 Tests - 4874.4 overs - 563 wickets - McGrath 36
104 Tests - 3771.1 overs - 414 wickets - Akram 35
111 Tests - 3906.2 overs - 355 wickets - Vaas 35
70 Tests - 2676.0 overs - 252 wickets - Statham 35
90 Tests - 2892.5 overs - 325 wickets - Willis 35
51 Tests - 1755.5 overs - 200 wickets - Thomson 35
92 Tests - 3082.5 overs - 307 wickets - Zaheer Khan35

Starfighter

Yeah, those figures are quite meaningless, because they don't show how they were performing when they were aged 35 or so. Thomson got absolutely belted in the '85 Ashes, Lindwall's appearances became quite sparse and Zaheer averaged mid 40s in his last three years. Your figures are completely irrelevant to his point.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, most talented and best are not the same thing. There are a few people with the opinion that Anderson is more talented than Steyn (I presume because he can swing it both ways) but really, only an idiot would say Anderson is better than him.
Anderson is to Steyn what Wasim is to McGrath. The former two are more 'talented', the latter two are more consistently better at getting batsmen out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As much as I love Jimmy I kind of hope he doesn't overtake McGrath, I love the symmetry of the greatest fast bowler of them all also having the most wickets of them all.

stephen

As much as I love Jimmy I kind of hope he doesn't overtake McGrath, I love the symmetry of the greatest fast bowler of them all also having the most wickets of them all.
Someone will overtake McGrath. Maybe it will be Anderson and maybe it won't. But someone will. Records are made to be broken.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you really care that much though? The greatest Batsman of all time isn't the leading run-scorer. Nor does he have the highest individual score.

Cumulative totals aren't really that indicative of anything, given that it relies heavily on how much cricket you play over a given time period (eg. a lot more currently, more if you play for England rather than, say, New Zealand).

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think the other way. Bowling should have symmetry with batting where the most talented players are hidden way down the list of aggregates.