• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Super Series

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
cric_manic said:
Well considering NZ are the second best ODI team in the world to only have 2 players is wrong, Fleming should be in the ODI side for his leadership alone but other players like Marshall and Oram(in tests) have also shown they are good enough to play at that level
Correction - 3rd best Team . Current ICC rankings - http://www.icc-cricket.com/odi/

Current Rankings- 1 Australia 2 Sri Lanka 3 NZ 4 South Africa 5 Pakistan 6 England
7 India 8 West Indies

An extension of your argument would be then - SL since its the second best ranked Team should have half a dozen players, and South Africa should have lesser number and England and India even fewer !! :blink:
And an even further extension of your argument would go against the fact that since NZ are currently ranked 7th in Tests , no more than 1 player should be selected for the Test squad !! :huh:

Players are selected ( I hope)on their own abilities and performances and not on where their Team lies in the ODI rankings.

And WRT Fleming , he may have got in last year, this year apart from the Tsunami matches he has struggled with the bat and would struggle to get in on current form (leaving aside Tsunami matches and considering ODI innings in the past year alone) !

Last edited:

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Yea point taken,I still think NZ are second(but this isnt the place to argue about that)
Vass Should be in the ODI squad and mabye Jayasuriya

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya - nope !! I agree with his non selection !! There are too many other good openers and his batting in ODIs can be unpredictable !

But Vaas should have been in contention even if he didn't make the final Team, but again they had to restrict numbers and you can see their point.

What I can't figure is how they left out Sangakkara or Taibu for test keeping position and considered Boucher and Maccullum to be ahead of these guys !!

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
JASON said:
Jayasuriya - nope !! I agree with his non selection !! There are too many other good openers and his batting in ODIs can be unpredictable !

But Vaas should have been in contention even if he didn't make the final Team, but again they had to restrict numbers and you can see their point.

What I can't figure is how they left out Sangakkara or Taibu for test keeping position and considered Boucher and Maccullum to be ahead of these guys !!
Mabye because they are looking for a keeper who bats lower.Maccullum is a good player but he is going to have a hard time keeping to muarli and so would Boucher,Maccullum's keeping alone is very good and he makes very few mistakes now,but i cant see him starting ahead of Sangakkara

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
Sangakara in my view is a better glovesman & batsman than both Boucher & McCullum, his record againts the aussies is also better, i would love to hear the reasons for this crazy selection.
For sure. It is an absolute farce that Sangakarra has not been selected.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not sure of the schedules, but does Sangakkara have a chance between now and the Super Series to play test cricket, and maybe kick some butt and get selected? Do Sri Lanka have many tests before then? I think they have a test series with India but I'm not sure.

dinu23

International Debutant
SL have a 2 test series against WI this month. maybe he can get some big scores and get selected.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cric_manic said:
Well considering NZ are the second best ODI team in the world to only have 2 players is wrong, Fleming should be in the ODI side for his leadership alone but other players like Marshall and Oram(in tests) have also shown they are good enough to play at that level
SRI are the 2nd best ODI side in the world :blink: , Fleming was failed miserably by McGrath recently in NZ so he cant play. Marshall & Oram are good but they cant make a World XI team with so much other good players around.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cric_manic said:
Yea point taken,I still think NZ are second(but this isnt the place to argue about that)
Vass Should be in the ODI squad and mabye Jayasuriya
Jayasuriya hasn't been that superb againts the aussies in the past, so his non-selection is warranted. I had Vaas in my ODI team but looking at Harmison's performaces in the NWS, Vaas cant get into side now.