• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Hundred

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone planning on watching it? I probably will do just because it's on terrestrial TV. And it sounds interesting, even if it will do nothing to improve the standard of test cricketers coming through our domestic game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know this isn't what you're indicating, but it's not like everything has to be serving the England team. Hopefully it's entertaining. Didn't have time to watch last night and will struggle tonight but will defo watch over the weekend.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Similar to you guys, won't go out of my way to watch it but if I've no other plans and it's own I'll probably tune in. Caught the last few overs sets of 5 in the chase last night. As others have said, some of the presentation is a bit cringe and stuff they've changed doesn't seem to have any reason to it, but at the end of the day it's a cricket game, and the game yesterday had a nice finish.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Will The Hundred ™ games count towards players' T20 stats?

It seems essentially an attempt to decimalise cricket, doesn't it? Even to the extent of allowing 50 seconds for a change of ends.

I mean, no one outside of the People's Republic of Brit uses minutes any more, do they?

Bijed

International Regular
Similar to you guys, won't go out of my way to watch it but if I've no other plans and it's own I'll probably tune in. Caught the last few overs sets of 5 in the chase last night. As others have said, some of the presentation is a bit cringe and stuff they've changed doesn't seem to have any reason to it, but at the end of the day it's a cricket game, and the game yesterday had a nice finish.
Yeah, this is basically me too. Think some of the hate the idea has copped is a bit unfair tbh, the changes it makes are just a bit pointless and nothing-y rather than actually bad.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see the Ovalteenies lasting 100 balls at this rate. Not the best of efforts from their big names. Manchester have bowled very well though.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, this is basically me too. Think some of the hate the idea has copped is a bit unfair tbh, the changes it makes are just a bit pointless and nothing-y rather than actually bad.
The marketing is just so cringe. The actual cricket will probably fine if as you say the changes are essentially pointless.

Bijed

International Regular
The marketing is just so cringe. The actual cricket will probably fine if as you say the changes are essentially pointless.
I'll agree with you on the marketing! I'm trying not to hold that against the format itself though

Having remarked on how trifling the changes are, however, I find myself mildly irked by the fact that Cricinfo (so presumably it's official) appears to be including this in T20 stats. I shouldn't really care, but the pedant in me (well, it's most of me, really) keeps saying that THEY'RE NOT THE SAME FORMAT

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Alternatively, List A games in England have shrunk from 60 overs to 50 overs. And occasionally 40 overs maybe? The old John Player Sunday League certainly was. I suppose there are only so many formats that cricinfo cba to list.

Bijed

International Regular
Alternatively, List A games in England have shrunk from 60 overs to 50 overs. And occasionally 40 overs maybe? The old John Player Sunday League certainly was. I suppose there are only so many formats that cricinfo cba to list.
Good point - I'll have to add that to my angry rant I am definitely going to send them on the matter. Long overdue a sub-filter for ODIs shortened by rain too :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mildly surprised we haven't heard a commentator use "Salt peppering the boundary" or some version thereof yet.

Well, it won't be today... Skies a cutter as I type.

Aritro

International Regular
Just watched some of it. I'm not clear on the rules, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm watching but it's novel and the atmosphere is absolutely electric. The cricket just looks like cricket really.

They want to get rid of the clutter on the screen though at some point. Way too much going on graphics-wise.

Aritro

International Regular
I also hope it doesn't take off anywhere other than England. There's already enough vapid franchise based cricket in the calendar as it is.

Aritro

International Regular
They've clearly contrived to create a distinct visual style with the helmets, but I don't know why they - or any other short form circus - haven't got around to changing the playing strips to include shorts instead of long pants (trousers) yet. It's a game played in the hottest part of the year, in some of the hottest climates in the world. If there's an imperative to change the optics, that would be a good place to start.

Aritro

International Regular
Lol, what the **** am I even watching. It's just T20 cricket with some silly rule changes, contested by teams that mean nothing to me (or anyone else), and the results mean even less. If the atmosphere wasn't so electric, it would have nothing to redeem it. I'm out.