• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest in domestic cricket from each country

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not considering tests, only considering domestic results, what would that greatest XII from each test nation be?

Here's my crack at Australia's. Stats used are FC cricket only.

Bob Simpson (6471 runs at 57)
Matthew Hayden (7913 at 54)
Don Bradman (8926 at 110) *
Greg Chappell (8737 at 57)
Michael Bevan (10621 at 60)
Darren Lehmann (13635 at 55)
Alan Davidson (242 wickets at 21)
Ray Lindwall (243 wickets at 22)
Darren Berry (546 dismissals) +
Ashley Mallett (344 wickets at 23)
Dennis Lillee (338 wickets at 23)

Clarrie Grimmett (513 wickets at 25)

Plenty of test stars but also Bevan and Lehmann make it in spite of limited test records for various reasons.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bevan would have been such a gun Test player easily had he gotten a chance between 1999-2003

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't both Woodfull and Ponsford average like 70+ in domestic cricket? Their FC averages are both above 60 and since their test averages are under 50 I can only assume

For an England county XI, I assume it'd just be all pre war players like Patsy and Mead but would Hick and Ramprakash be a fair shout?

Daemon

Tendulkar has like 20 hundreds and 20 fifties in 40 Ranji games iirc. Pretty sick.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Didn't both Woodfull and Ponsford average like 70+ in domestic cricket? Their FC averages are both above 60 and since their test averages are under 50 I can only assume
Isn't Punter's Shield average like 60+?

TBH I pretty lazily went with the leading scorers of all time who had the best FC averages. On reflection, Ponsford should most certainly be there.

Not sure about Ponting but he didn't play a lot of FC cricket compared to tests.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

For an England county XI, I assume it'd just be all pre war players like Patsy and Mead but would Hick and Ramprakash be a fair shout?
Going by averages (as given in "Summer's Crown") and picking the wicket-keeper with the most victims it'd be:

Geoff Boycott (58.27)
CB Fry (56.77)
Wally Hammond (56.67)
KS Ranjitsinhji (62.04)
Graeme Hick (54.19)
Mark Ramprakash (58.18)
George Lohmann (12.94)
Bob Taylor (1220 caught/stumped)
Hedley Verity (13.20)
Brian Statham (15.17)
Bill Bowes (15.31)

Going by runs scored the top six batsmen (Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Mead, E Tyldesley, Woolley, Hendren) all retired in the 1930s and the bowling list is dominated by spinners.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Also, if overseas players are included, Lehmann (68.76) replaces Hick and Hadlee (14.50) replaces Bowes.

morgieb

So from that list I'd pick:

Ponsford
Morris
Bradman
Ponting
Kippax
Noble
Gilchrist (best batting average + dismissals per match combo I could find)
Davidson
Trumble
O'Reilly
Noblet

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tich Freeman would be a good pick for England. Others may have better averages but it's hard to argue with 386 five fors, and 250 wickets a season six years running.

OverratedSanity

Tich Freeman would be a good pick for England. Others may have better averages but it's hard to argue with 386 five fors, and 250 wickets a season six years running.
Yeah he has close to 100 more 5fers and 50 more 10fers than the second best. It's pretty insane.