• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Football ATG General Arguing/Discussing Thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GK: Mark Bosnich/Schwarzer
LB: Stan Lazaridis
CB: Lucas Neil
CB: Tony Popovic
RB: Craig Moore
CM: Ned Zelic
CM: Vince Grella
CAM: Marco Bresciano
CAM: Tim Cahill (c)
SS: Harry Kewell
ST: Mark Viduka
Bonza choices mate

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha that's the game, and that was the exact moment I was thinking of.

Remember trying to replicate that move over and over again on the playground/in PE at School. He just made it look so effortless. One of those players who appeared to glide rather than run.
Haha yeah it's one thing for a winger to pull off this kind of move but Redondo was a tough-tackling DM. Ridiculously complete midfielder.

Seedorf is another with a case for inclusion. The total absence of Ajax '95 doesn't sit right with me.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, Where's Brown doesn't exactly cover himself in glory in that moment though. Definite case of ball-watching going on there.

Actually, tbf, it's not that bad on a second watch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
GK: Mark Bosnich/Schwarzer
LB: Stan Lazaridis
CB: Lucas Neil
CB: Tony Popovic
RB: Craig Moore
CM: Ned Zelic
CM: Vince Grella
CAM: Marco Bresciano
CAM: Tim Cahill (c)
SS: Harry Kewell
ST: Mark Viduka
Moore at right back is an odd one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha yeah it's one thing for a winger to pull off this kind of move but Redondo was a tough-tackling DM. Ridiculously complete midfielder.

Seedorf is another with a case for inclusion. The total absence of Ajax '95 doesn't sit right with me.
The lack of Juventus from 95-98 is also off.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Favourite side from the players I've seen

Banks
Carlos Alberto
Puyol
Moore
Maldini
Platini
Neeskins
Socrates
Messi
Cruyff
Van Basten
Safe to say you like players with a certain je ne sais quoi, judging by the list. Some wonderful stylists in there.

Puyol the only one who looks mildly out of place. Is there a story behind your affection for the comedy haired Catalan?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Safe to say you like players with a certain je ne sais quoi, judging by the list. Some wonderful stylists in there.

Puyol the only one who looks mildly out of place. Is there a story behind your affection for the comedy haired Catalan?
I do love the fact that he physically looks so out of place alongside his team-mates. But it's not so much about the hairdo. Most of the ATG central defenders tend to be the sweeper rather than the stopper. Being pretty anal about these things, I couldn't pair Moore with Beckenbauer, Baresi or any of the other ATG sweepers as I don't think that works. Puyol otoh is, in old money, a genuine centre back. And he is a player who unquestionably belongs in ATG club and country teams, so it's not like I've picked Jim Holton. Perhaps Daniel Passarella from the 1978 Argentina WC winners can feel a bit hard done by. And yeah, I've probably forgotten loads, but that comes with the territory at my age. Carols Alberto maybe a bit lucky as he only really gets in due to that goal in the dying minutes of the 1970 WC final.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Moore at right back is an odd one.
I struggled to recall other Aus defenders tbh, im sure Moore could handle sliding out one to the RB position. Lazaridis obviously would bw playing as an overlapping winger at times so Id see this formation often having just 3 at the back, which Big TP would be in the middle of with Neil and Moore covering the wider positions. Additionally having 2 GKs allows a bit more flexibility at the back.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I struggled to recall other Aus defenders tbh, im sure Moore could handle sliding out one to the RB position. Lazaridis obviously would bw playing as an overlapping winger at times so Id see this formation often having just 3 at the back, which Big TP would be in the middle of with Neil and Moore covering the wider positions. Additionally having 2 GKs allows a bit more flexibility at the back.
Distinct lack of Scotty Chipperfield tbh

ripper868

International Coach
Distinct lack of Scotty Chipperfield tbh
It was he or Moore, but needed a ginger in the team. Muscat also unlcuky, but too much of a **** to be considered in the end. Vidmar may be a shout, but think he was more CB then RB from vague memory.

No room for Robbie Slater in that Aus team?
What Aus team, this is a best ever World XI.
Slater, Skoko, Sterjovski, Culina, Vidmar, Kruse, Luongo can all be considered unlcukt, but ultimately they'd be 2nd XI at best when considering the rest of the world.

Would have gone for Brett Emerton myself.
Gifted midfielder, dont think he ever played at the back though - too much hair gel to be considered.

ripper868

International Coach
Happy to be corrected, could of sworn he was primarily midfield. Probably would be him over Moore tbh.

Gotta come clean, my viewing of football isn't much beyond world cups.

EDIT: quick google pulled an article from 2001 linking him tk Arsenal, described as "the 8.6 million rated defender". My credibility lay in tatters.

Last edited: