• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The fallout

pasag

RTDAS
Will heads roll?

Will Ponting resign the captaincy?

Will Hussey decide to go out on a high?

How safe is Watson in the side if he's not going to bowl?

Will the selectors fall on their swords?

Will Clark and Lee ever play for Aus again?

Will be an interesting few months in Australia, the media hasn't been paying any attention to this series, so there won't be a lot of external pressure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Had Ponting not been such a champion batsmen, you'd think his position as captain would be in serious trouble.

However Australia need Ponting's batting now more than ever, and its not the Australian way to take the captaincy of a player, and for them to remain in the team.

Can't see it occurring here again.

Had Australia not won in South Africa though I'm sure Ponting would be gone.

stumpski

International Captain
Will heads roll?

Will be an interesting few months in Australia, the media hasn't been paying any attention to this series, so there won't be a lot of external pressure.

I wouldn't attempt to answer those (except I thought Watson did a good job and I'd be surprised if Ponting went), but that does surprise me.

pasag

RTDAS
I wouldn't attempt to answer those (except I thought Watson did a good job and I'd be surprised if Ponting went), but that does surprise me.
Too busy trying to figure out whether some South African is a dude or a girl.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1) Will heads roll?

2) Will Ponting resign the captaincy?

3) Will Hussey decide to go out on a high?

4) How safe is Watson in the side if he's not going to bowl?

5) Will the selectors fall on their swords?

6) Will Clark and Lee ever play for Aus again?

1) You'd imagine so. Although whose are anyone's guess. Clark, probably; Hussey, possibly; Katich, maybe.

2) Nup. Doesn't strike me as a quitter.

3) Dunno. Still think the decision might be taken out of his hands anyway tho.

4) Fairly, you'd think. Couldn't have done more with the bat, realistically. Hughes back in & slips into middle order at #4 or #5, IMHO.

5) Nup, again. Fecking should do tho. Balance of the squad was wrong and no spinner for The Oval a howler.

6) Only in extremis. Never say never tho.

Had Ponting not been such a champion batsmen, you'd think his position as captain would be in serious trouble.

However Australia need Ponting's batting now more than ever, and its not the Australian way to take the captaincy of a player, and for them to remain in the team.
Always strikes me as odd. No-one would claim Ponting is a great captain, so to leave him as skipper because Oz don't retain ex-captains seems to be making a problem where one need not exist.

stumpski

International Captain
Ian Chappell and Graham Yallop both played on under their successors IIRC, it's not that common though.

In England, the captain usually resigns at a comparatively young age, when he still has a few years cricket in him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Much as I don't like Ponting, I don't think he should resign the captaincy. I don't think falling on your sword is a noble act, especially if its undeserved. I don't think it was his captaincy that caused the downfall.

Although Aussies are 4th, if they don't make it into the top two in the next couple of series, he may be forced into resigning.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ian Chappell and Graham Yallop both played on under their successors IIRC, it's not that common though.

In England, the captain usually resigns at a comparatively young age, when he still has a few years cricket in him.
Kim Hughes had a couple of tests under Border too, but he was the last I think.

Pigeon

Banned
Since this is the 3rd series Ponting has lost in the last 11 months, he will have to answer a few questions on his captaincy. Key decisions like leaving out the sole spinner in an Ashes decider indeed will raise a ruckus. In fact, considering the fact that Ponting has been more or less a failure since WC 07 began, recording wins only against the much weaker NZ and SL at home, and against WI away, He indeed has the bargaining chips of SA win, which was fairly facile. But the heavy defeats in India, coupled with the AShes loss and home defeat against SA, will go against him.

Add the ODI fortunes to that and it is a sorry looking package.

However, Australia needs Ponting the bat. He's been under extreme pressure ever since Hyaden, Langer and Gilly left and it is obvious captaincy under pressure has not really sat on him well. This is the best time to relieve him of that, considering farily easy stuff is coming up in the Aussie summer. And we may in all probabilites get to see Ponting the champion again.

pup11

International Coach
pasag said:
Will heads roll?

As I said in the other thread the selectors need to go, its very easy to blame Ponting for these loses, but my question is what's he supposed to do when the test side keeps changing after every one or two games.

Transition period is tough for any side, but all the this constant chopping and changing on the part of the selectors has made it impossible for Ponting to rebuild a stable team, therefore that needs to stop, if we are to put together consistent performances.

Ponting wouldn't and shouldn't resign, because a) he is the best man lead the current side, b) there is no decent enough option to replace him with.

Apart from Clark, I don't see anyone else in danger of being dropped from the test side, Lee is one the most experienced bowlers we have, and he is still good enough to break through into the team, but Clark unfortunately since his elbow injury seems to lost the venom and nip that made him such a dangerous bowler, so he could find himself out of favor with the selectors.

As for Watto, as much as I like him, I think he needs to go back to FC cricket and work on his technique, because his technique at present is likely to get exposed very easily at the test level, irrespective of where he bats, though if he stays fit and contributes with the ball as well, then there is a case for him being retained in the test side.

Hussey is one of the main players around whom the new team is being tried to be built, and its vital he stays on till the next Ashes, so there is no question of him being dropped.

Pigeon

Banned
I dont' agree with Hussey retained till next Ashes. He in almost all likelihood be back to his home minnow bashing best in Australia but again found out when the big sides come touring.

pup11

International Coach
I dont' agree with Hussey retained till next Ashes. He in almost all likelihood be back to his home minnow bashing best in Australia but again found out when the big sides come touring.
Pakistan and West Indies aren't top tier test sides but ffs they are no minnows, and why are you discounting Hussey' efforts in this last innings, scored runs on a pretty difficult pitch, with the pressure of playing for his career also on him, to put it simply he is class act ,and he is one of the best batsmen around in Australia atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's no point in picking someone, watching them score a ton and then dropping them. If Hussey was to be dropped based on his recent failings it should have been before this Test (or after it had he failed again here) - dropping him now would be insane. Sure, he may retire, but that's obviously different.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think we'll see massive changes tbh. I really doubt Ponting will step down, especially as Michael Clarke's next in line and hasn't really shown any signs of tactical genius to put pressure on Ponting. Also Australian captains don't tend to hang around after losing the job and Ponting's clearly got a lot more runs in him. It's worth noting though that Ponting hasn't been 'Ponting the batsman' for quite some time, he's still a solid player but he isn't the run machine of 5 years ago. In the unlikely event that he has a bad home summer the pressure could really heat up. I think Hussey saved his place this last innings, similar to Hayden in 05 actually, though he should definitely swap places with Clarke. I reckon Hughes will return in place of Watson, even if not immediately. Barring injury, Lee and Clark's test careers are really up in the air at the moment, which isn't too different from after the SA tour.

Pigeon

Banned
There's no point in picking someone, watching them score a ton and then dropping them. If Hussey was to be dropped based on his recent failings it should have been before this Test (or after it had he failed again here) - dropping him now would be insane. Sure, he may retire, but that's obviously different.
I would have agreed fully with that statement had Hussey's 100 been in the first innings. His 100 came at a time when almost everything was over for Australia. Langer's dead rubber 100s come to mind.

Yeah, kind of sure he'll retain his place, but he might be demoted to No. 5 letting Clarke occuppy the position that is his now. And yes, he'll make runs against the WI and Pakistan, but those runs would have come at the cost of not budding a young middle order batsman.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Being the first Australian captain to lose a home series for 16 years, as well as being the first Australian captain to lose consecutive series in England for 110 years are serious black marks against Ponting's captaincy, though how much (if any) of the blame should be laid at Ponting's feet is definitely up for debate.

While I accept the side is massively in transition at the moment, it might just be that a side so massively in transition might benefit from a change at the top - a new leader for a new team.

edit: with my last point, I'm not advocating change for the sake of change. I'm just speculating that now might be the best time to let Clarke take the reigns, and mould a new team in his image.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lee should replace Clark for AUS next test TBH. Clark is passed his peak, he never got past 82mph in these two test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Plus given that Martyn was made scapegoat last time, i am getting worried these idiots will do some crazyness again. Hopefully though nothing like that happens.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Will heads roll?

1) Yes

2) Probably not but imo he should. Interesting that the Herald and the Telegraph both have articles this morning saying that he should stay. It might not be the Australian way for captains to keep playing under someone else but it happens in most other countries so i dont see why not.

3) No

4) Not very, i would imagine he will be under a lot of pressure, that sid he will probably get injured before he gets dropped. Interestingly it has been stated that he will not open the batting for NSW with Jaques, Hughes and Katich all ahead of him.

5) lol

6) Well given Lee is in the T20 and ODI squads i think it is likely that he will play ;). If he is in reasonable form between now and the next test i would say he is highly likely to play. Clark will need to find pace and form for NSW quickly otherwise he will be gone.