• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lol. I'm a bit worried for Ashton's health actually, 'cos he's behaving like a man who doesn't care anymore. "Gomersall as back-up kicker? **** it, why not. Won't matter to me soon"

PY

International Coach
Where to from here you've got to ask?

I'll bet a lot of money that people won't want to sack Ashton because he wasn't given enough time before the WC but I don't think he made us any better in the time that he was given. We've got to slice and dice this entire setup I think and actually get someone in who will have the nads to make hard decisions.

If that is a foreigner then so be it. And for goodness sake, don't even suggest going back to Sir Clive.....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Johnno for mine, with maybe someone like John Mitchell as his number two.

He's a student of the game & looked fit to be tied in the studio last night.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
..According to the BBC....Jamie Noon has been ruled out of the remainder of the World Cup with a knee ligament injury...but there is still hope that Jason Robinson will play some further part in the tournament...Jonny Wilkinson and Olly Barkley should be fit for Saturdays game against Samoa...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Flood replaces Noon.

Bit of an odd replacement isn't it? Thought Flood was a stand off? For the best anyway. Noon is dire.
Rectifying an earlier error for mine. As I whinged previously 3 outside centres in a 30 man squad was well OTT. Flood can play inside centre too tho anyway, does it for Newcastle on the rare occasions Jonny's fit.

If nothing else he's young & might at least learn from the experience of playing in on the biggest stage, unlike Catt & Farrell.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"We all hate England" - John O'Neill

Today's Unreconstructed Ocker Blow-Hard Award goes to the ARU's president John O'Neill. From Planet Rugby. "It doesn't matter whether it's cricket, rugby union, rugby league - we all hate England"

Feeling the love John, mate. :wub:

Seriously tho, one quarter-way passable performance & he's worried enough to mouth off? Interesting.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting that he should mention league when Australia have played "England" at league a whole 3 times in the last 30 years. Got to hold a pretty decent grudge for that.

Anyway, back on topic: worst ****.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While I don't agree with O'Neill's sentiments, a whole heap of middle-aged Kiwi's do. "Hate those whinging Pom's" is usually uttered several times a day when talking about England's sporting prospects.

Also, Johnny has the right to complain. I don't see people lynching Carter even though he's been whinging more about the balls.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lewsey broken; Abendanon called up.

From the Beeb. Nice touch to call up one of our tame yarpies I feel. Rotten luck for Lewsey tho, just as he was playing himself into a bit of form.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dallaglio: Ashton turned England into pub team

From the BBC. Scathing stuff it is too. :-O

Dallaglio: "Head coach of the England team demands management skills that Brian does not have. We had a head coach who wanted one thing, other coaches who wanted other things. The players hadn't a clue what was going on."

"Somehow we'd managed to turn our World Cup campaign into a Monty Python sketch - called The Life of Brian"

Christ knows what he'd have said if we hadn't made the final. Small word of caution for Big Lol or any players who underplay Ashton's role in our campaign: I remember Gareth Thomas saying something very similar about Mike Ruddock's part in their 2005 Grand Slam & look what's happened to the Welsh since.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
We didn't get where we did because of Ashton IMO. Basically after the 36-0 v SA, the players really had a think about how they were playing and did it themselves.