• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Dismantling of India

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. its working for Kumble. I am sure Border can make it work. I do believe, in all seriousness, at this level, it is more about man-management and figuring out the best way to get each player to do their best. For some folks, they need a friend and some encouragement. For some, they need more of a mentor and a guy they can look up to. For others, they need someone to put their foot down and tell them things straight. I am pretty sure Border would have done it better than, say, Lehmann, who may find it hard to be tough on some of the players having come in advertised as this whole "jolly good fellow, one of the boys" persona.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TOTAB would take over as coach and we would be ruined with injuries as the entire squad would simultaneously walk bare foot over broken glass for him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lol.. its working for Kumble. I am sure Border can make it work. I do believe, in all seriousness, at this level, it is more about man-management and figuring out the best way to get each player to do their best. For some folks, they need a friend and some encouragement. For some, they need more of a mentor and a guy they can look up to. For others, they need someone to put their foot down and tell them things straight. I am pretty sure Border would have done it better than, say, Lehmann, who may find it hard to be tough on some of the players having come in advertised as this whole "jolly good fellow, one of the boys" persona.
I actually think the fact that they're getting Ponting into the coaching setup is a good step in this direction, as he was exactly this sort of figure in post-09 captaincy and his stint under Clarke.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, the guys at Mumbai loved him too. So he must be a terrific man manager and a good guy to have around the set up, although must be weird for him to be below in the hierarchy to the very blokes he captained for so long. :)

vcs

Ponting's matured a lot from his early brash days. Really good commentator/analyst and seems to be a genuinely decent guy. WAG

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'm surprised Dizzy Gillespie is not talked of more as a candidate for Australia? He took Yorkshire from the despair of division two to two consecutive County Championship titles, and just missed out on a third one.

morgieb

I'm surprised Dizzy Gillespie is not talked of more as a candidate for Australia? He took Yorkshire from the despair of division two to two consecutive County Championship titles, and just missed out on a third one.
I'm pretty sure he's part of the coaching panel for this series too.

Should be our next coach. They'll go Langer though...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Australia is the second best team - as dire as they have been....India number 1 (vomit in your mouth). Australia need to go to India and beat them! It is more dire than ever that this Indian dumbinance is stopped. Someone needs to go over there on their own turf and say "Listen, pissants, you can't prepare ONE type of pitch and play it over and over again at home and be the best". But India wont listen. So the only way to shut them up will be to beat them. Someone has to do it and it may as well be Australia, the 2nd best test team - as dire as they have been.

What needs to be done is for Australia to not give a toss about any other cricket from the moment they finish against Pakistan. In the other forms of the game, they will be competitive enough with a 2nd 11 for whatever comes before India.

1) Australian batsmen need to acclimatise to Indian conditions. They need to go to the subcontinent and learn how to bat on it against spin. They have to do what Hayden did all those years ago. The top 6 should all become Hayden.

2) Starc and Hazelwod need to go over there and learn how to bowl with their balls on their decks. They should learn to tamper with the ball. Cricket Australia should foot the bill for the fines. They can deflect unsportsman like play accusations by claiming they are just doing this to force a proper ruling on this practice that everyone does, including Australia, only not as well.

3) Lyon and another couple need to go over there and learn how to bowl on their decks. Murali needs to be hired. Get him to show our guys how to bowl there. Make sure Smith as present so he learns how to set fields and utilise the spinners. They should pay the Weed to teach our spinners how to spin in India. That should hurt them good - a traitor!

Getting practice on the subcontinent might be hard. But should it? Pakistan hate India. Cricket Australia should fund their players to show our all the secrets. Bangladesh need tests! Australia should hastily arrange a 5 test series over there, followed by another in Sri lanka too, if they can.

Can it be done? Someone needs to find a way to drop a meme bomb into the media that makes winning in India THE THING. Then it can become the players focus. We need a former player to call them all weak men to shock them into abandoning their metropolitan ways so they become hard focused country planks of wood again.

Now that my hyperbole is out of the way. What can really be done? Seriously?
You absolute ****!!

cnerd123

likes this
It really makes you wonder how much of the thrashings we're seeing from teams touring overseas have to do with players just not having enough time to acclimatise/prepare/mentally psych themselves up for the tour, and how much is actually down to the skillsets.

vcs

Great start to the series. I expect India to bounce back strongly.

This one was an absolute hammering, though.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Probably a good thing India were thrashed as they've had it a bit too easy lately. If they want to be taken seriously as number one they need to prevail in a difficult test series, a series with a bit of ebb and flow about it for a change. They were never going to find that with the garbage England served up. That is assuming that India do bounce back of course!!

SeamUp

International Coach
This was the best thing for the series in my opinion. Lets see what both teams have to offer moving forward.

TheJediBrah

I remember when this thread got made and having a good laugh at the thought

Obviously we'll end up losing 3-1 or maybe 2-1, but still funny to look back