• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW Cup: battle of the association football teams

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, this is the idea: it's a spin on the tried and tested "battle" format that has given so much joy to so many CWers over the years. What I'm looking for is 32, 64 or 128 teams (depending on uptake) which will then be drawn at random in an FA Cup styley. The (very slight) twist is that you won't be voting for which you think is the best team, has the best history or plays the best football; you'll be voting for the team you would support were they drawn against each other in a cup competition. So if, say Exeter drew Man Utd (it's not without precedent, you know... :p) who would you wish to emerge victorious?

I'll start off with the idea of everyone nominating 2 teams and 64 in the draw, but this is subject to revision if interest is greater or smaller than I've guessed. It doesn't have to be a team you support, you could nominate a team just for the thrill of seeing them thrashed. There's no limit on the nationality of the team (so hopefully we can get some interesting cross-national match-ups), you can put forward any association football team who play in a professional league (just please don't nominate a team you and your mates play for and no-one else has ever heard of) and when we have enough teams or the nominations run dry I'll put them into a randomiser.

At the end of it we should know which is the most popular (or, more likely, least hated) football team amongst the CWian football fans. :)

Devastatingly straightforward, I'm sure you'll all agree. Ok, to kick things off I'll nominate:

Arsenal &
Cambridge United

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Mamelodi Sundowns
Doncaster Rovers

Ill leave it to someone else to nominate Liverpool

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Devastatingly straightforward, I'm sure you'll all agree. Ok, to kick things off I'll nominate:

Arsenal &
Cambridge United
Brumby=Nick Hornby. You heard it here first.

Manchester United and Luton Town. That'll go down well with ye :p