• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricketer magazines - what should I do with them ?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I've been saving Cricketer magazines for years ( 80's onward ). They were great reads - nothing more satisfying than lounging with a new issue in hand. Or perusing an old mag recollecting a great match or event.

Now, I'm ready to dispose of them - clearing house. I've spoken to a few cricket fans, nobody wants them.

Shame to throw out the glossy mags with pictures, articles, history.

Have we become such an electronically addicted society that no one reads magazines anymore ? Are they old school, old news, old thinking ?

Should I just put them in the recycling bin ? Or ....? Any ideas ?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yeah keep them. Secure them somewhere well taped up boxes. One day you, a kid, someone else, will have a treasure on their hands. The best part about reading old magazines, articles aside, is the advertisements. It is a real look into history that no amount of writing can give you.

Jack1

International Debutant
Sell them on eBay or recycle them. I recycled loads of old sports programmes a while ago and only kept a handful of signed ones. The cricket magazine is different though I suppose as could have interesting stories in. But if no one wants them and nor do you just get rid of them (or eBay for low price) . Don't feel bad about it!

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I have a friend who is related to the Shillingfords (from Dominica, WI) who has asked for all mags bearing their name, which I shall accede to.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Where are you from Engle?

I'd happily take them off your hands, and pay a reasonable amount for shipping.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Toronto, Canada

I'm guessing total weight would be about 40 lbs. (heavy mags)

A shipping estimate to Australia is Canadian $225, to England is $200

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ok fair enough. Probably a bit too pricey for mags. Thanks anyway.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been saving Cricketer magazines for years ( 80's onward ). They were great reads - nothing more satisfying than lounging with a new issue in hand. Or perusing an old mag recollecting a great match or event.

Now, I'm ready to dispose of them - clearing house. I've spoken to a few cricket fans, nobody wants them.

Shame to throw out the glossy mags with pictures, articles, history.

Have we become such an electronically addicted society that no one reads magazines anymore ? Are they old school, old news, old thinking ?

Should I just put them in the recycling bin ? Or ....? Any ideas ?
Hey Engle. I could have them taken off your hands :) Could you let me know how many magazines there are and the total weight of the lot?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
About 50 Cricketer mags, 10 Wisden mags and a whole slew of other Sports magazines.
Total weight is under 40 lbs.

Honestly, I don't want to do a ton of work disposing of them. If you know someone in and around Toronto, please let me know.

Last time, I disposed of some Cricketer mags to youngsters at a tournament. Even tho they were avid cricketers, they had no interest in past magazines. Some of them did not even know who Sir Gary Sobers was. :-O

(replying to harsh.ag)

Last edited:

harsh.ag

About 50 Cricketer mags, 10 Wisden mags and a whole slew of other Sports magazines.
Total weight is under 40 lbs.

Honestly, I don't want to do a ton of work disposing of them. If you know someone in and around Toronto, please let me know.

Last time, I disposed of some Cricketer mags to youngsters at a tournament. Even tho they were avid cricketers, they had no interest in past magazines. Some of them did not even know who Sir Gary Sobers was. :-O

(replying to harsh.ag)
That's a good collection :thumbs_up Would you be open to sending them to the University of Waterloo?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
That's a good collection :thumbs_up Would you be open to sending them to the University of Waterloo?
Tell me more. Do you know some one at U of W ? Can that person come pick them up at my place ? ( about 1 hour's drive on week-ends )

harsh.ag

Tell me more. Do you know some one at U of W ? Can that person come pick them up at my place ? ( about 1 hour's drive on week-ends )
A friend of mine studies there. He's quite interested in cricket. Dunno if he will be open to picking them up, though. Will speak to him. Any idea how much it would cost to send them across?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Ha Ha ! That's a good one. I know I'm old, but not as old as.....who's the oldest one on this site anyways ?
We have an esteemed member named JBMAC who was born in 1936.

We had a member named jamesicus who was born in 1929 but he claimed to have prostate cancer and has not posted since 2007.