• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Web Podcast #36 - The Curse Of Ishant Sharma

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This episode's XI:

Geoff Boycott
Ravi Shastri
Michael Vaughan
Greg Ritchie
James Brayshaw
Ian Botham
Ian Healey
Shaun Pollock
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Max Walker
This is about commentators surely. Can't find the common factor though. Pollock, Lee, and Walker are too nice for it to be a "rubbish commentators XI"

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is about commentators surely. Can't find the common factor though. Pollock, Lee, and Walker are too nice for it to be a "rubbish commentators XI"
I don't see why nice and rubbish need to be mutually exclusive. Pollock is one of the blandest commentators of all time. Disgracefully dull twitter too.

Starfighter

Sorry, no bad commentators XI is complete without KP and his obnoxious, constant, penetrating drone, like that of a V1 flying bomb. I'd take a whole day of Lee and Botham over the normal amount of him.

morgieb

Lee sucks arse, simply isn't a natural with the mic at all. I don't see how being a nice guy precludes you from being a crap commentator.

As for Maxy, there's a reason why he was the butt of 12th Man jokes about his commentary.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyone dumped from the c9 box should be shoe-ins IMO. So that's Brayshaw, Lee and MHussey.

Starfighter

I find it a bit amusing that 'Mr Cricket' struggled to talk about cricket. But he was terrible. Glenn McGrath was a little better from the little I heard of him, but not more than mediocre.

Spark

Global Moderator
I find it a bit amusing that 'Mr Cricket' struggled to talk about cricket. But he was terrible. Glenn McGrath was a little better from the little I heard of him, but not more than mediocre.
He's a bit better on radio. Most are, tbf, with a few galling exceptions (Graeme Swann, looking at you)

Bijed

International Regular
Despite the depressing amount of time dedicated to the Ashes, very enjoyable as ever. Good (or should I say 'aggresive' ;)) Shane Warne rant.

Also enjoyed Marco appearing to suggest that Botham's career was coasting on him having been mentioned on the Sooty show

morgieb

Ehh I'm the opposite. Probably was a case of him looking good because of the rest of the **** on 9, but Hussey wasn't all that bad I felt...just boring.

McGrath gave me the ****s for some reason, probably because of the voice.

Starfighter

Good point from Howe on the dynamics of the lower order partnerships and the fact that it's the batsmen causing the problems for England - in two contexts.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Also enjoyed Marco appearing to suggest that Botham's career was coasting on him having been mentioned on the Sooty show
That wasn't me, that was Howe_zat.

I should add that I was incorrect when I said South Africa was the only side to win beat Australia in Australia in a Test since 2010/11; New Zealand won a Test in 2011/12.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Read a book by Gideon Haigh on Shane Warne years ago; I lost so much respect for Warne after that (even though that probably wasn't the book's intent*), and I was certainly glad he was never captain after that.

His commentary hasn't done him any favours after that, and I very much agree with Howe's rant.

Of course, Botham is an ex-captain of England as well...8-)

*So much for intent there.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Read a book by Gideon Haigh on Shane Warne years ago; I lost so much respect for Warne after that (even though that probably wasn't the book's intent*), and I was certainly glad he was never captain after that.
That is interesting, especially as Haigh has always been fairly sycophantic towards Warne. There was a fairly negative Warne biography from a few years ago by Paul Barry (although that was a fairly ordinary book iirc).

stephen

Warne is like an insane artist or drug addled musician.

You appreciate the artistic genius in their work but don't listen to what they have to say.

cnerd123

likes this
Warne is like an insane artist or drug addled musician.

You appreciate the artistic genius in their work but don't listen to what they have to say.
Nah I think it's worse. Warne was just so genuinely good that when he stopped playing he missed all the praise and plaudits and love and has, in response, become desperate to seek attention in whatever way he can.

He just hasn't really moved on from his glory days and is constantly trying to recapture that feeling.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yeah, but I remember during Warne’s career Haigh arguing that Warne was a ‘misunderstood’ character who was given a bad rap by the public and media. Iirc there was an article (and interview iirc) from around 2000 in The Wisden Cricketer which had the title along the lines of ‘Why do people dislike Warne?’