• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Web Podcast #31 - Politically Charged Words

Howe_zat

Audio File
***** can be considered the unofficial 12th man for our XI, after having missed a podcast for being too drunk

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh no, my dearest brother *****...

Sorry you didn't make it to the podcast.

Hope it gets to What Made/Ruined your day :)

Best wishes, and I do look forward to hear your views in the next podcast.

Peace brother!

Bijed

International Regular
Some really good stuff in this one.

Ftr, Boycott's 246* came of 555 balls, so a strike rate of 44.32

Also spent a fun few minutes looking up slightly unusual reasons why people have missed matches. The ones which seem to crop up most (the matches missed weren't tests so they wouldn't qualify for your XI) are:

-Aaron Finch missing that IPL match recently because he didn't have his kit
-Billy Midwinter did in fact turn up to play for Australia for a tour match at Lords. However, WG Grace preferred that he turned out for Surrey instead, so he traveled across town and 'forcibly removed Midwinter'
-Andrew Symonds is known for having been sent home for missing a team meeting because he'd gone out fishing and a couple of years previously had missed a match for turning up to training whilst drunk (or Zoraxed as it shall now be known)
-Shoaib Akhtar being sent home ahead of the 2007 World T20 for hitting Mohammad Asif with a bat. His argument that he'd been aiming for Shahid Afridi did not wash.

Also seem to remember reading about Chanderpaul missing a day of a first-class match because he went to his daughter's graduation or something

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Too hungover, not too drunk. Let's get that straight please
Should have stuck with the former tbh. Not being able to show up because you're a dribbling drunken mess is acceptable, not fronting up the next day because of a hangover is weak.

If you play up then you have to front up next day........thems the rules my friend.

Teuton

International Captain
Another nomination for the XI: I'm sure I remember seeing on a documentary that Alf Valentine missed a game due to having swollen hands from playing bongo drums all night.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
One I would’ve mentioned except I couldn’t verify it (and he was in the XI anyway), was that Stuart MacGill from memory was a late callup to Australia’s 2000 Champions Trophy squad but couldn’t make it because he was getting married during the tournament.

And just recalled, didn’t Jimmy Adams have to pull out of the 1998/99 South African tour because of a finger injury allegedly caused by a butter knife?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wicket keeper for the XI could be Ted Pooley, who missed out on playing for England in the very first Test match by virtue of being in prison in New Zealand at the time

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matthew Hayden - Attacked by a dog
Bill Midwinter - Kidnapped by WG Grace when he tried to play against his county of birth for the touring Australians
Ted Dexter - Car ran out of gas, he got oht and started to push it. Lost control and the car pinned him to a gate, breaking his leg in the process.
Akhtar - Banned for smacking Asif with a bat. Said a lot about his batting talent - he was taking aim at Afridi
Barnes - Refused to tour because MCC didn't want to pay for his wife and kid to come with him

And of course the bunch of ****s who skipped the tour of Windies because they were still elebrating the '11 WC win. Of course they subsequently got annihilated in England and Australia, a dark period in Indian cricket and CricketWeb history.

Midwinter

State Captain
Wasn't there a player who was killed when a crate of bananas feel on him at a dock in the West Indies ?

Thanks for another good one.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've noticed that I completely forgot to respond to all these on the pod so I'll do it here

Some really good stuff in this one.

Ftr, Boycott's 246* came of 555 balls, so a strike rate of 44.32

Also spent a fun few minutes looking up slightly unusual reasons why people have missed matches. The ones which seem to crop up most (the matches missed weren't tests so they wouldn't qualify for your XI) are:

-Aaron Finch missing that IPL match recently because he didn't have his kit
-Billy Midwinter did in fact turn up to play for Australia for a tour match at Lords. However, WG Grace preferred that he turned out for Surrey instead, so he traveled across town and 'forcibly removed Midwinter'
-Andrew Symonds is known for having been sent home for missing a team meeting because he'd gone out fishing and a couple of years previously had missed a match for turning up to training whilst drunk (or Zoraxed as it shall now be known)
-Shoaib Akhtar being sent home ahead of the 2007 World T20 for hitting Mohammad Asif with a bat. His argument that he'd been aiming for Shahid Afridi did not wash.

Also seem to remember reading about Chanderpaul missing a day of a first-class match because he went to his daughter's graduation or something
I've heard the Midwinter story before, should have included it seeing as it is Midwinter's favourite story
We could have included a full XI of hung over cricketers, Jesse Ryder comes to mind

Another nomination for the XI: I'm sure I remember seeing on a documentary that Alf Valentine missed a game due to having swollen hands from playing bongo drums all night.
I suppose that technically counts as not playing due to injury, albeit a more spurious one. I reckon after having an evening where playing bongo drums all night is acceptable, he was completely zoraxed the following morning.

Wicket keeper for the XI could be Ted Pooley, who missed out on playing for England in the very first Test match by virtue of being in prison in New Zealand at the time
Heh. You'd have thought the authorities would have been able to swing that at the time. Should've sent in the redcoats.

Matthew Hayden - Attacked by a dog
Bill Midwinter - Kidnapped by WG Grace when he tried to play against his county of birth for the touring Australians
Ted Dexter - Car ran out of gas, he got oht and started to push it. Lost control and the car pinned him to a gate, breaking his leg in the process.
Akhtar - Banned for smacking Asif with a bat. Said a lot about his batting talent - he was taking aim at Afridi
Barnes - Refused to tour because MCC didn't want to pay for his wife and kid to come with him

And of course the bunch of ****s who skipped the tour of Windies because they were still elebrating the '11 WC win. Of course they subsequently got annihilated in England and Australia, a dark period in Indian cricket and CricketWeb history.
Hmm that Billy Midwinter story seems familiar

Wasn't there a player who was killed when a crate of bananas feel on him at a dock in the West Indies ?

Thanks for another good one.
Was it Billy Midwinter?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Was that the incident around gambling when he bet he could forecast all the scores of the 22 players in the opposing team on a tour match?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I got Zoraxed on Saturday night too. Sunday morning with a 6 month old and a 2 year old was not a fun time.

Would recommend.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A recent contender for this XI:

Bradley Scott became obsessed with bowling maidens.
And for years he niggled away with line-and-length, medium-pace left-armers, basically trying to outwait the batsmen.

That wait was certainly worth it. He took 182 wickets in 66 first-class games for Otago and Northern Districts.

But after 16 years of elite cricket, his back has finally given out. And wouldn't you know it, he injured it giving two of his four children ''a horsey ride to bed'' in April.

He had an operation on a prolapsed disc six weeks ago and is still rehabilitating. He hopes to be back at work in the next month.

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/parsimonious-bowler-calls-it-day