• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah I'm completely with you on that, but I mean that it's more than just defining the nature of the abuse. If she was a man she wouldn't cop it on the same level.

Islam is excellent yeah. There must be a reason why the three best political journalists we can come up with are all ethnic minorities. I notice the same thing in the US, Ta-Nehisi Coates and Jelani Cobb are in a completely different league to everyone else.
The "SJW"-esque cynic suggests that it's because they're there on the merit of their work rather than patronage. But that probably is being way too simple-minded.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The "SJW"-esque cynic suggests that it's because they're there on the merit of their work rather than patronage. But that probably is being way too simple-minded.
Yeah I would have a lot of time for that theory. I think with Coates+Cobb, their perspective was largely excluded from print media for so long that they always have a deep well of insight to reach into for any given article. But Bush/Ganesh/Islam don't have a radically alternative worldview, they're just doing traditional political journalism much better than everyone else.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
So an inquiry is to be held as regards the Grenfell fire. Some have said that there should be an inquest.
From a legal pov, what's the difference?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not an area of the law I'm familiar with but given that the purpose of and procedure for inquests are governed by a strict set of rules I would think that the reason for the inquiry is that Moore-Bick, not being so bound, can look into whatever he wants to without fear of getting bogged down in a procedural mire - whether he's the right person for that job is another question entirely

fredfertang

I've read that he may glide over some issues and not delve too deeply.
He'll be accused of that for sure, but then there is a section of press and popular opinion that would rubbish the independence of whoever was appointed

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I see Boris Johnson is the latest rat to jump on the 'end the public sector pay cap' bandwagon despite having voted against it last week.

fredfertang

I see Boris Johnson is the latest rat to jump on the 'end the public sector pay cap' bandwagon despite having voted against it last week.
Pathetic - though a bit of internecine strife is also entertaining in politics

Can't see May getting to the end of the month at this rate

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This 'voted against a pay rise' narrative against every Tory MP is ignoring the actual reality though isn't it. The amendment has achieved exactly what it was meant to.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This 'voted against a pay rise' narrative against every Tory MP is ignoring the actual reality though isn't it. The amendment has achieved exactly what it was meant to.
Yeah I forgot to mention the cheering and celebration when the motion got voted down

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I forgot to mention the cheering and celebration when the motion got voted down
Aside from cheering some pretty crass stuff in parliament being fairy bog standard (Iraq war anyone?) the vote last week was always about the Tories forming a government. It was important they weren't defeated on anything given they are a minority govt. I doubt Corbyn would even have bothered with his nonsense if they had a tidy majority

People are acting like it was actual legislation being voted on. Many Tory MPs are vocal about the public sector pay cap, they explained their reasons for this particular vote. Also worth noting that Labour's amendment was a blanket lifting of the cap, and some MPs said they don't believe execs in the civil service should be getting their cap lifted at this point.

Both sides were just playing politics, it's as simple as that. Criticise the cap by all means but the goddamn Tories have committed to a review, and the wave of momentum means there's likely a change afoot.

Theresa May is hopeless, and doesn't seem interested in challenging Corbyn's false narratives, but there you go.