• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Marcuss

Hall of Fame Member
It's all Nick Clegg's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11!!!!11!!11!!!!!
Lib Dems can gagf!!1!!11!!1!!!
Never getting a vote again!!1!!1!
Can't go Uni, don't have 27 grand!!11!
So if I go Uni I'm going to be in debt?! Get ****ed Lib Dems!!1!!

/Marcuss' Facebook Home page

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think that the main problem with it is that it could potentially put off poorer students from wanting to be lumped with £40k at the end of their course, which is obviously a very bad state.
The lesson here, is do not do a bogus degree.

I appreciate however, that people may want to further their education for education's sake. Which is fine, but there are so many courses out there which are just utter rubbish, and do not help anyone with anything. I think the problem with the education system runs far deeper than this fees issue though. Sixth Forms and Colleges push students towards University, regardless as to whether they want to or not, simply because it makes favourable reading as far as their statistics are concerned. As such you get a load of students saddled up being railroaded into doing a degree, without any particularly area of interest and/or long term aim, get a pointless degree, and no job. This is where the issue of debt is at its most problematic for mine, and it ought to be addressed. I'm not suggesting people should only do a degree if it helps then get a job or whatever, people can further their education for whatever reason the want. But to expect to receive such a life changing service for absolutely nothing is unrealistic.

That said, nobody, and I mean nobody should be put off going to University due to the cost involved. There are an abundance of schemes, that as I am sure everyone here appreciates, the effect of which being that you do not have to pay any of the fees back whatsoever until you are earning a certain amount. I do not believe there is such a thing as a fundamental right to education to this level. You don't see people complaining because they don't get a free mortgage as part of their right to a peaceful family home, or a free loan for a car as part of their freedom of movement.

The hike in fees is however high, and I would agree that the rise here is on the excessive side. And indeed, a peaceful protest is fine, it wouldn't be my choice of actions, but if other people want to get on with it then it's no skin off my nose. But what's going on here...disgraceful, again.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's all Nick Clegg's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11!!!!11!!11!!!!!
Lib Dems can gagf!!1!!11!!1!!!
Never getting a vote again!!1!!1!
Can't go Uni, don't have 27 grand!!11!
So if I go Uni I'm going to be in debt?! Get ****ed Lib Dems!!1!!

/Marcuss' Facebook Home page
I sympathise with the Lib Dems here, as they have ended up in an impossible situation really. It does seem likely that they have tarnished their chances of any future success however.

However, I really do not buy Clegg's argument of his manifesto promise on fees was on the proviso that they won the election though, and that things are now completely different. Sorry mate, you'll have to do a bit better than that.

Last edited:

Pothas

Hall of Fame Member
I would feel sorry for the Lid Dems if they were not the Lib Dems.....certainly feel no sympathy for Clegg.

Problem is that student fees was such a vital part of what made them atractive to people, must say I will find it amusing if they lose the referendum on voting reform which is after all the big prize.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't stand Nick Clegg, would be hilarious if the referendum on voting reform ended in a negative result for them.

Pothas

Hall of Fame Member
Can't stand Nick Clegg, would be hilarious if the referendum on voting reform ended in a negative result for them.
Yeah part of me hopes it does, even though I shall probably vote in favour.

To be fair I never expected much fron Clegg, I had some time for the Lib Dems when Kennedy was around but since then have had very little regard for them.

Marcuss

Hall of Fame Member
The lesson here, is do not do a bogus degree.
That went down like a lead balloon yesterday in the common room when I suggested that people might think twice about forking out £27k for 3 years of partying in which they'll fallout with a degree in TV Studies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah part of me hopes it does, even though I shall probably vote in favour.

To be fair I never expected much fron Clegg, I had some time for the Lib Dems when Kennedy was around but since then have had very little regard for them.
Yeah, I can probably say the same actually. Never had any great objection to Ming Campbell either. But Clegg, just urgh. He strikes me as the guy who has just moved to a new school, who thinks he is the bee's knees, when in actual fact he is just a small fry. I find his ability to answer questions unconvincing. I find his manner very rude. His attitude seems to be very arrogant and there is some sort of passive aggressive thing going on as well. The combination of all these things, just makes him completely dislikeable to me.

Marcuss

Hall of Fame Member
I sympathise with the Lib Dems here, as they have ended up in an impossible situation really. It does seem likely that they have tarnished their chances of any future success however.

However, I really do not buy Clegg's argument of his manifesto promise on fees was on the proviso that they won the election though, and that things are now completely different. Sorry mate, you'll have to do a bit better than that.
I do agree with what he says somewhat though, if it was so important for people then they should've voted Lib Dem. However, they didn't and the Lib Dems now find themselves as the smaller player in a coalition government.
They could either stand by their tuition fees stance and abandon all hopes on their other policies, but as has been mentioned by sacrificing their tuition fees policy there's now a referendum on voting reform so they got something out of it at least.

Pothas

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I can probably say the same actually. Never had any great objection to Ming Campbell either. But Clegg, just urgh. He strikes me as the guy who has just moved to a new school, who thinks he is the bee's knees, when in actual fact he is just a small fry. I find his ability to answer questions unconvincing. I find his manner very rude. His attitude seems to be very arrogant and there is some sort of passive aggressive thing going on as well. The combination of all these things, just makes him completely dislikeable to me.
Yeah all this allied to the fact he is basically just a Liberal Tory, there is none of the Social Democrat half of the Lib Dems in Mr Clegg.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That went down like a lead balloon yesterday in the common room when I suggested that people might think twice about forking out £27k for 3 years of partying in which they'll fallout with a degree in TV Studies.
Haha, the funny thing is, there are three, three media/tv studies related degree courses offered in the entire country that Sky or the BBC actually recognise as qualifying for their media related graduate capacities. So unless you want to end up working for local radio or you have a particular desire to study it, it is more than likely going to be a massive waste of your time/money.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I do agree with what he says somewhat though, if it was so important for people then they should've voted Lib Dem. However, they didn't and the Lib Dems now find themselves as the smaller player in a coalition government.
They could either stand by their tuition fees stance and abandon all hopes on their other policies, but as has been mentioned by sacrificing their tuition fees policy there's now a referendum on voting reform so they got something out of it at least.
Yes, but the think is, the Lib Dems were never going to win the election outright. Neither did they have a chance of getting the most seats in the House of Commons. Everyone who voted for them knew this, so now for Clegg to turn around and say what he has is just utterly unconvincing.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha yeah, know someone who used to work in recruiting for the BBC and she said that if they had an applicant that had a media studies degree, they'd go straight to the bottom of the pile.

Marcuss

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but the think is, the Lib Dems were never going to win the election outright. Neither did they have a chance of getting the most seats in the House of Commons. Everyone who voted for them knew this, so now for Clegg to turn around and say this is just utterly unconvincing.
Yeah but I'd wager you do put out your manifesto with an intention to coming 2nd/3rd
They're only doing what they can to have their say and out forward their own policies.

Pothas

Hall of Fame Member
Haha yeah, know someone who used to work in recruiting for the BBC and she said that if they had an applicant that had a media studies degree, they'd go straight to the bottom of the pile.
To be fair I know quite a few people who did Media and have got decent jobs that have something to do with their degree, something that is certainly not the case with an awful lot of subjects.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah but I'd wager you do put out your manifesto with an intention to coming 2nd/3rd
They're only doing what they can to have their say and out forward their own policies.
Yes, but people vote for the promises made in the manifesto whether the party in question wins the election or not, and quite rightly expect the promises made to be upheld.

Marcuss

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but people vote for the promises made in the manifesto whether the party in question wins the election or not, and quite rightly expect the promises made to be upheld.
And the Lib Dems are clearly in no position to uphold all the promises they made.