• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Book Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It really is awesome, isn't it? In some ways, that says a lot about the movie. There are very few movies that match the mental pictures that book creates like "The Godfather". The music is incredible as well.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I dunno about that. I read the book before seeing the movie and felt the movie didn't compare at all in quality to the book. I'm just a book-fanboy I guess.

vcs

I dunno about that. I read the book before seeing the movie and felt the movie didn't compare at all in quality to the book. I'm just a book-fanboy I guess.
So am I TBH. Agree very much with you on this one. But then, no movie can be as good as a good book, for several reasons. The Godfather comes close however.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ima start reading The Dark Tower series. Done with most of King's other books. The Dead Zone his best IMO.(better than The Stand)

cover drive man

International Captain
Finished Dawkins' "The God Dellusion" Today. Very well written, makes some brilliant points at times (particuarly in the first half) it starts to stumble in my opinion when he starts writing on morality but he stays on par, very good book. Anyone here read it?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I flipped through it. It was (obviously) not a science textbook, but he definitely covers a lot of ground. The problem with it is, of course, you can't really include everything, and you can't include some of the most impressive stuff, which requires a more technical background.

vcs

I flipped through it. It was (obviously) not a science textbook, but he definitely covers a lot of ground. The problem with it is, of course, you can't really include everything, and you can't include some of the most impressive stuff, which requires a more technical background.
Yeah, it's a good read.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Read a couple of Archer books, A prisoner of birth and paths of glory. Nothing special. Currently reading the first book of the mistborn series and it is pretty interesting.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Finished Dawkins' "The God Dellusion" Today. Very well written, makes some brilliant points at times (particuarly in the first half) it starts to stumble in my opinion when he starts writing on morality but he stays on par, very good book. Anyone here read it?

Agree with you...some his arguments are brilliant...they just hit you really hard..

but for me his work falters when he talks about morality too and also when he fails to distinguish between religious culture and religious dictates..

But overall he is great academic..one of the few genuine ones in the world today that is filled with the likes of Hitchens and Harris. I have a lot of time for him when he talks about science..

Last edited:

vcs

Read a couple of Archer books, A prisoner of birth and paths of glory. Nothing special. Currently reading the first book of the mistborn series and it is pretty interesting.
Jeffrey Archer has to be one of the most overrated authors going around, virtually all his books follow the same template. You can read the even chapters and then the odd chapters like two separate stories. :sleep:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Only one of Jeff Archer's books is exceptional; Kane and Abel and another of them is pretty good; Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less. Everything else ranges from airport page-turner to toilet paper. His short stories are lovely though.

vcs

Only one of Jeff Archer's books is exceptional; Kane and Abel and another of them is pretty good; Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less. Everything else ranges from airport page-turner to toilet paper. His short stories are lovely though.
Oh yeah, Kane and Abel is a very good book. Luckily it was the first Jeffrey Archer book I read so I wasn't prejudiced against him when I read it. Excellent book. Most of the rest is repetitive tripe.

Shri

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yeah, Kane and Abel is a very good book. Luckily it was the first Jeffrey Archer book I read so I wasn't prejudiced against him when I read it. Excellent book. Most of the rest is repetitive tripe.
Didn't it have sequel called The Prodigal Son or some shiz? Remember reading it.