• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best pure wicketkeeper of all time

MrPrez

International Debutant
Think it’s interesting that generally, with exceptions, the respect that keepers get is directly linked to how long ago they played.
Absolutely. I think since it's so difficult to quantify statistically, it becomes much easier for romanticism to come into play.

I reckon your Ian Healys of the modern era were just as good as your Bari's and Oldfields.

That said, the one discerning element would be older keepers playing on uncovered pitches which would make keeping much harder - particularly to spinners. But it feels unfair to penalise modern keepers for not keeping on these pitches.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Have a watch of some Wally Grout videos, the bloke had the fastest hands. If you can watch him getting a stumping. Not just speed but precision

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The first catch in this video is unbelievable. Commentator makes it seem as though it's merely good. Needs to lift his game and scream his head off imo.

Last edited:

Daemon

Dhoni’s stumpings are seriously ridiculous. As an overall package he’s not in the conversation but in that particular aspect I haven’t seen anyone close to his speed.

Shri

Mr. Glass
And how little they averaged with the bat
That just means that your wk skills are something special if a team decides to carry you despite you being a **** bat, which also makes you confused about Nayan Mongia, Parthiv Patel and Tim Paine's inclusion in their teams.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely. I think since it's so difficult to quantify statistically, it becomes much easier for romanticism to come into play.

I reckon your Ian Healys of the modern era were just as good as your Bari's and Oldfields.

That said, the one discerning element would be older keepers playing on uncovered pitches which would make keeping much harder - particularly to spinners. But it feels unfair to penalise modern keepers for not keeping on these pitches.
Healy certainly, but there's no "romanticism" in the poor rating of modern day keeping. Since the advent of Gilchrist everyone wants his runs in their side. Unfortunately it overlooks the fact that he was also a Test quality keeper, whereas today's selected keepers are not always even full time keepers never mind of high quality.

Bijed

International Regular
Healy certainly, but there's no "romanticism" in the poor rating of modern day keeping. Since the advent of Gilchrist everyone wants his runs in their side. Unfortunately it overlooks the fact that he was also a Test quality keeper, whereas today's selected keepers are not always even full time keepers never mind of high quality.
Yeah, there's definitely a more prevailing attitude of it's ok for someone to lear 'on the job' with their keeping these days if they're making runs, but not vice-versa. And to be fair, a Prior and Bairstow (just as examples) started off a poor keepers and improved quite a lot.

Out of interest, I've heard people say before that Gilchrist wasn't actually a particularly special keeper when he first started playing international cricket - was this actually the case?

AndrewB

Its always going to be an impossible discussion this one, basically everyone will pick the best one they’ve seen, making it impossible to compare across eras, due to lack of relevant stats for keepers. One thing I’ve always found interesting though is Oldfield’s percentage of stumpings. Seems quite insane, and was not just at test level.
What proportion of the time was he keeping to O'Reilly and Grimmett?
When the SA attack was basically a quartet of leg-spinners before WW1, Percy Sherwell took 16 stumpings and 20 catches in 13 Tests.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Out of interest, I've heard people say before that Gilchrist wasn't actually a particularly special keeper when he first started playing international cricket - was this actually the case?
I always thought he was underrated as a keeper. I think what hurt him was when he had off days they were really bad but they were pretty rare and in general he was a very good keeper. Can't recall him missing much off Warne either.

vcs

Haddin was also quite good, took lots of blinders keeping to pace bowlers. Not sure how he did to spin.

AndrewB

In "Cricket Crisis" Fingleton (plus unnamed colleague) pick Jock Cameron ahead of Oldfield, Ames and Duckworth as their keeper in a World XI of players they had played with and against, though his batting was partly the reason for that; but they do mention that Oldfield struggled when keeping to Fleetwood-Smith.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Jock Cameron and Jackie Hendriks both deserve a mention. David Murray was supposedly superb bit had too many issues to stay on the field.

SillyCowCorner1

There's a legend in our club...a wicket-keeper during the 80s who would kept up to the pacers...and before he would get into the field, he would load his pockets with fried channa. While he was behind the stumps, he would put a few channas into his mouth so that when the bowler delivers the ball, he would spit out a channa out of his mouth projectile style in hopes of getting the bail off its grooves.
He was very effective in this trick...but was ultimately found out when a batsman of a sharp sense of smell picked up the smell of garlic and peppers (the fried channas were season with these).
He was kicked out of the club and began drinking and smoking crack.
He would still come to games at our club (as a spectator), and provide excellent commentary from the stands.
The Crack really got to him. He passed away about 10 years ago.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
equally you see lots of over compensating on here that would have you believe Gilchrist was a top 5 glove man of all time
Has anyone implied that? He was a good enough keeper to play Test Cricket purely as a keeper without his batting. But top five of all time, no chance.

Burgey

The first catch in this video is unbelievable. Commentator makes it seem as though it's merely good. Needs to lift his game and scream his head off imo.

That's a crazy catch.

No surprise with the last wicket in that clip to see Botham jag a wicket with some leg side trash. Was the tinniest bowler I've ever seen.