• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Fieldsmen I Have Seen

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mark Waugh will often be underrated, IMO, because he made the hard look ridiculously easy, and the nigh-on impossible look basic.

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
Of those I have seen, in no particular order

Rhodes
Symonds
Ponting
Laxman (best slips fielder I've seen)
McGrath and Tendulkar and Agarkar (purely for their outfield catching, the most reliable outfield catchers I've seen)
Yuvraj and Collingwood and Gibbs (Yuvraj's catches in the 2002 Champions Trophy were sensational)
Lee (best fielder off his own bowling I have seen)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
umm, i'll have a go, but these guys are all fairly modern (im only 13)
In no particular Order
1. R. Ponting
2. P. Collingwood
3. M. Waugh
4. M. Taylor
5. J. Rhodes
6. A. Symonds
7. H. Gibbs (bar 1999 WC incident)
8. D. Randall (from reputation)
9. D. Boon (remember Shane Warne's Hat Trick)
10. D. Jones
11. I. Healy (for his keeping to Warne)

12th Man - Brett Lee (remember Short Fine Leg Classics vs Zimbabwe)

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprised no one's mentioned Roger Harper yet - I always thought he was absolutely scintillating in the field.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The Sean prompted the idea for this thread when he mentioned Colin Bland.So, The BEST Fielders I have SEEN play are as follows:-

1. Colin Bland
2. Derek Randall
3. Norm O'Neill
4. Neil Harvey
5. Jonty Rhodes
6. Mark Waugh
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Allan Border
9. Bobby Simpson
10.Conrad Hunte

Thats MY Top Ten.Remember you have to have seen them play
BTW mate, that's a fantastic list - VERY envious you've seen all those blokes in action!

Flem274*

123/5
Matthew Sinclairs left handed one handed diving boundary catch to get Matthew Hayden was pretty spectacular IMO

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen a few outrageous catches like Collingwood's in 2005 but that catch was unreal as it looked as though the ball for all money was past him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
And I reckon diving in the outfield like that is a lot harder, because it's not really a "reflex" action - you have to measure it a lot more and judge it a lot better, where as in the ring, it's a fair bit different.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm with pup, that catch was amazing. I haven't been around long enough though to see catches in the early nineties and previous though. I remember Astles on the boundary against the WI as well where he juggled it in and caught it.

Collingwood, Ponting and Vincent are three names that stand out for me in the current era. I don't know alot about the subcontinent teams though.

Oh and Bond's caught and bowled in the Chappel-Hadlee was awesome.

Fiery

Banned
Going back a bit, Dipak Patel took 2 of the best catches you will ever see in the same game against the Aussies. One was a one-handed leaping effort on the boundary and the other diving horizontal at point. Both still rate right up there for me

open365

International Vice-Captain
Imo Collingwood is the one most likely to take outrageously good catches but i think Ponting and Vincent's ground fielding are probably a bit better.

haroon510

International 12th Man
wow no younis khan among the slip position in fielding kind of suprsing..

Johnty
ricky
collingwood