• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll try my hand at an ATG Sussex team (the county of my birth - though I lived in Bedfordshire for most of my life in England).

M.Goodwin
K.Wessels
C.B.Fry
K.S.Ranjitsinhji
T.Dexter
T.Greig
I.Khan
J.Parks jnr
M.Tate
J.Snow
M.Ahmed

Apologies to G.leRoux,J.Langridge, Duleepsinhji, A.Gilligan et al

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis has lost at least 11 comparison threads over the last few months so he mathematically can't be in the best XI

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Reckon this would be the best I’ve seen

Greenidge
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Gilchrist
Wasim
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Greenidge
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Gilchrist
Wasim
Marshall
Warne
McGrath
Would be this for me:

1 Smith*
2 Sehwag
3 Lara
4 Tendulkar
5 Kallis
6 Waugh
7 Gilchrist+
8 Pollock
9 Warne
11 Steyn
11 McGrath

Murali in for Pollock if I think it's gonna turn.

I was tempted to make Dravid open instead of Sehwag to be all hipster about it but I think Sehwag probably suits the balance better anyway. Waugh > Ponting to fill my 'all hipster about it' quota.

I saw Wasim but he was **** by the time I was really following cricket so it'd feel weird to include him. I was too young for Ambrose.

I reckon Cummins and Smith will replace Waugh and Pollock when they're done.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Greenidge
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Gilchrist
Wasim
Marshall
Warne
McGrath
Mine would be

Sehwag
Smith
Lara
Sachin
Shakib
Steve Smith
Gilchrist (wk)
Wasim
Steyn
Ambrose
Murali

Covers almost all bases.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mine would be

Sehwag
Smith
Lara
Sachin
Shakib
Steve Smith
Gilchrist (wk)
Wasim
Steyn
Ambrose
Murali

Covers almost all bases.
Shakib + Murali is a cool spin combination. I hadn't thought of including Shakib (or Jadeja who tbh I think is better) ahead of Waugh if I thought it was gonna spin, but it's a good call especially if you've gone for Murali who turns it the other way.

Not sure why you decided to bat him ahead of Smith though?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
1. Gavaskar
2. Richards B
3. Richards V
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Sobers
7. Gilchrist
8. Marshall
9. Lillee
10. McGrath
11. Murali

I don’t think Tests were specified for the “seen” XI. If so Sir Geoffrey for uncle Barry. I hate not picking Knott as easily the best keeper and a decent bat, but Gilchrist sneaks in for today at least. :santa:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Stokes? lol.
Stokes is a big call over the likes of Botham and other all rounders like Imran and Kallis.

Stokes played the best innings I've ever seen against the Aussies at Headingley and in fact it's as good an innings as I've ever read about. By whatever criteria you measure great innings, that innings is right up there.

Is his overall career as good as say Kallis, no. But at his best Stokes is a truly incredible performer and is a much for any all rounder that I've seen.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shakib + Murali is a cool spin combination. I hadn't thought of including Shakib (or Jadeja who tbh I think is better) ahead of Waugh if I thought it was gonna spin, but it's a good call especially if you've gone for Murali who turns it the other way.

Not sure why you decided to bat him ahead of Smith though?
Coz dont like 3 lefties one after the other on paper. IN actual games, would mostly bat Smith ahead lol.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Stokes innings at Headingley is obviously iconic, legendary and provided high drama. But I think it’s fair to say there was an above average degree of good fortune involved. :santa: