• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Hussey had a crap world cup average because he barely got to bat.

Forgetting exactly what Healy did?
Hussey bottled when it mattered in 2011 WC QF. Healy choked in 1996 WC final. There is a good case for Rodney Marsh as well.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Mark Waugh with a score of 0,0,12 in WC knockouts should replace Tendulkar . But it's your team . You can have any cricketer you want.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Waugh with a score of 0,0,12 in WC knockouts should replace Tendulkar . But it's your team . You can have any cricketer you want.
But he rectified it with an unbeaten 37 in the '99 final. Could have been a few more too if they weren't chasing 140 or whatever. Your convenient omission of a fact here and there irks me like nothing else. You should be a politician

sunilz

International Regular
But he rectified it with an unbeaten 37 in the '99 final. Could have been a few more too if they weren't chasing 140 or whatever. Your convenient omission of a fact here and there irks me like nothing else. You should be a politician
Tendulkar has scored 4 50+ scores in WC knockouts. By no means he is a bottler. Funny how you missed Stephen's list

h_hurricane

There was no pressure in that case though. When it mattered, he bottled big time leaving others to do the heavy lifting. Tendulkar gets a lot of flak for his no show in finals(justifiably) but Waugh goes unnoticed. Same with Greenidge. Just because they were part of ATG teams.

h_hurricane

Also, with a 5 wicket haul and a counterattacking cameo, Pollock should not be anywhere near that list. Same goes for Donald. A clear case of bias against players from some countries.

stephen

Hussey bottled when it mattered in 2011 WC QF. Healy choked in 1996 WC final. There is a good case for Rodney Marsh as well.
Hmm while I agree that both constitute poor performances in a world cup final, they were both first innings performances and both not particularly memorable.

The other people in this team were a part of something bigger than a bad score.

stephen

Also, with a 5 wicket haul and a counterattacking cameo, Pollock should not be anywhere near that list. Same goes for Donald. A clear case of bias against players from some countries.
Pollock is captain because we need someone to interpret the dls rules.

mr_mister

Tendulkar has scored 4 50+ scores in WC knockouts. By no means he is a bottler. Funny how you missed Stephen's list
Honestly didn't even notice the Tendulkar part of your post. Saw you ****ting on Junior as usual and got triggered

h_hurricane

Hmm while I agree that both constitute poor performances in a world cup final, they were both first innings performances and both not particularly memorable.

The other people in this team were a part of something bigger than a bad score.
The fact that those 2 performances came while batting first makes them worse. As the old saying goes, batting first is an advantage in knockout games. And yet, without any scoreboard pressure, both bottled.

h_hurricane

Pollock is captain because we need someone to interpret the dls rules.
I would have Ganguly or Azhar instead of him then. There was no way SA was winning that 2003 WC. Azhar had a great chance when he won the toss in 1996 WC SF,but then he chose to field disregarding the pitch which turned into a minefield later. Even taking into consideration the fear instilled by the battering India got from Jayasurya earlier in a league game had some part to play in it, it was a poor decision. Ganguly went one step ahead, didn't learn from Azhar's mistakes and chose to field in 2003 WC final, blatantly ignoring that the only chance India had against that Aussie lineup was batting first.

stephen

You're welcome to create an alternate XI. I did mine in like two minutes from the top of my head for a laugh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was there a crucial dropped catch that Healy missed? I dont remember that. Surely you arent referring to his batting?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You're welcome to create an alternate XI. I did mine in like two minutes from the top of my head for a laugh.
:)
I like that.

All time great sides exercise should never be taken too seriously. It is an impossible task and invariably unfair without putting in a couple of dozen caveats.

But it is fun and the most common game that cricketers, ex-cricketers and cricket'd die-hard enthusiasts love to play.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

Was there a crucial dropped catch that Healy missed? I dont remember that. Surely you arent referring to his batting?
Neither do I remember anything about his keeping :) Had a poor outing with the bat. Should easily be a pick over Dhoni who scored 91*(79) in 2011.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Kaluwitharana
2 Tendulkar
3 Lara
4 Richards
5 Jayawardene
6 de Villiers
7 Dev
8 Wasim
9 Garner
10 Muralitharan
11 McGrath

Can you name a better ODI side? The catch is no two players can have the same number of letters in their surname. Not one current player is unlucky..