• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis over Miller. Better for team balance for the 5th bowler to be a batting all-rounder.
Probably a fair enough call that, and a more comparable allrounder against Sobers than Miller would be, even if Sobers>> both of them

And who wins for you?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's close.

Gilchrist batting edge is balanced by presence of Imran in opposite team who is better bat than Hadlee.
Bradman is the other edge SH team has but NH makes up for it somewhat with superior openers.

Tie.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, SH edge it in Australian, English, SA or NZ conditions, NH in SC conditions, & probably even-stevens in West Indies conds.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Southern Hemisphere vs Northern Hemisphere

I'd say only 6 or 7 guaranteed picks on each side - others could be argued about. Would be a great game.

SHXI

G Smith
M Hayden
D Bradman (c)
J Kallis
S Smith
G Pollock
A Gilchrist (wk)
R Hadlee
S Warne
D Steyn
G McGrath

NHXI

J Hobbs
L Hutton
V Richards
S Tendulkar
B Lara
G Sobers
I Khan (c)
A Knott
M Marshall
C Ambrose
M Muralitharan

Northern with the better openers, but overall SH has better batting (due to Bradman and Gilchrist). The main 4 bowlers are equal but Sobers is a better 5th bowler than Kallis.
These are the teams I suggested about 3 weeks ago.

hju

Cricket Spectator
ATG Team.

Sunil Gavaskar
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Steve Smith
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose

I think that 4 and 5 could be contentious as well as 10 but other than that I believe that this is good

hju

Cricket Spectator
ATG Australian Team

Matthew Hayden
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Steve Smith
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Adam Gilchrist
Keith Miller
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn Mcgrath

No all rounder at 6 as Miller was much more of a bowler, would be open to dropping Chappell if there is a better all rounder who could bat better than Miller. Could play Gilchrist at 6 and have another fast bowler but not sure.

hju

Cricket Spectator
ATG West Indies Team

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
George Headley
Garry Sobers
Clyde Walcott
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose

Desmond Haynes could possibly be replaced. If you don't rate Headley as not much is known about him then Lloyd or Weekes could come in. If you don't think that Walcott kept enough in tests then Jeff Dujon replaces him. I think that these 4 quicks are the best that the West Indies have ever produced and Sobers could bowl spin as well as Richards if needed.

hju

Cricket Spectator
ATG South African Team

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jaques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
AB De Villiers
Shaun Pollock
Michael Procter
Hugh Tayfield
Dale Steyn
Alan Donald

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
ATG South African Team

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jaques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
AB De Villiers
Shaun Pollock
Michael Procter
Hugh Tayfield
Dale Steyn
Alan Donald
Good side. You could also include Aubrey Faulker (batting ave 40; bowling 26) as a legspinning allrounder instead of either Procter or S Pollock. With Kallis in the side there are already a lot of seamers.

hju

Cricket Spectator
Good side. You could also include Aubrey Faulker (batting ave 40; bowling 26) as a legspinning allrounder instead of either Procter or S Pollock. With Kallis in the side there are already a lot of seamers.
Kallis makes the side purely as a batter but you make a good point. I hadn't realised I had that many seamers