• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Victor Ian

International Coach
I have long ago been converted to a Grace believer. Like all truly great players, their legacy keeps providing new insights for further appreciation. At the moment, I am blown away by his fielding stats. This whole idea that there can be a player on the field who can be as proficient as a keeper boggles my mind - it is in pieces. Is there another player known who is even remotely close to Grace's fielding expertise?

lol. Grace even has stumpings to his name. Check out this game! this game

Some questions I have, hard for people to really answer being over 100 years distant. Nevertheless, perhaps someone knows. Were catches less prevalent way back int he past? Did keepers take less catches on average? One of the leading keepers of the time, EW Pooley, was only taking about 1 to 1.5 catches per match. I think Gilly used to take about 4 catches per match. That is a huge differential, indicating that perhaps something is amiss in styles of play between then and now. Perhaps bowling was more attuned to taking bowleds and LBWs.

watson

Banned
I have long ago been converted to a Grace believer. Like all truly great players, their legacy keeps providing new insights for further appreciation. At the moment, I am blown away by his fielding stats. This whole idea that there can be a player on the field who can be as proficient as a keeper boggles my mind - it is in pieces. Is there another player known who is even remotely close to Grace's fielding expertise?

lol. Grace even has stumpings to his name. Check out this game! this game

Some questions I have, hard for people to really answer being over 100 years distant. Nevertheless, perhaps someone knows. Were catches less prevalent way back int he past? Did keepers take less catches on average? One of the leading keepers of the time, EW Pooley, was only taking about 1 to 1.5 catches per match. I think Gilly used to take about 4 catches per match. That is a huge differential, indicating that perhaps something is amiss in styles of play between then and now. Perhaps bowling was more attuned to taking bowleds and LBWs.
Prior to the 1870s virtually all keepers stood-up to the stumps and used a back-stop to head-off the byes. Therefore, keepers caught less per match as anything other than a fine snick went through to the slips.

Incidently, Jack Blackam was the the first keeper not to use a back-stop despite standing-up to Spofforth.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As I posted in the other thread:

FWIW my world XI (tests) would be:

Warner
Cook
Williamson
Root
Smith
Matthews
Ashwin
Nevill +
Starc
Anderson
Steyn

And my 90s team would be:

Gooch
Taylor
Lara
Tendulkar
S.Waugh
Inzamam
Healy +
Akram
Warne
Ambrose
Waqar

Red

Ponting doesn't belong in a 90s team and not selecting Steve Waugh is an abomination. Warne is such a ****.

Red

In addition, Waqar and Donald are both more deserving of a start in a 90s XI over McGrath.

Shady Slim

International Coach
world xi for me is in my sig, but if i were to go for best rather than favourite:

Cook
Warner
Williamson
Root
Misbah*
Chandimal+
Holder
Herath
Steyn
Broad
Starc

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook (c)
Vijay
Williamson
Root
Smith
ABdV +
Ashwin
Broad
Anderson
Steyn
Starc

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis doesn't really belong in Warne's 90's team either. And Sangakkara? He debuted in 2000!

You fool Warney.

mr_mister

it seems to be more of a 'who I played with/against in tests' team from Warnie, especially with that Sanga pick lol

Victor Ian

International Coach
“This morning @skysports asked Athers, Ramiz & myself to pick two world 11's ! 90's/00's & a Current one."

Just another case of headlines skewing the truth.

Seems a bit unfair to pick the best over 20 years to compare against the best of right now. Very bad form to pick himself in a team. I'd like to think he didn't and that was Athers and Ramiz but why kid myself. I'm severely peeved he left out Waugh and benched McGrath. Who does he think will be dropped for McGrath to come i?. Surely not Murali who can play and perform everywhere, for less runs and more wickets!

mr_mister

pfft. Warne and Murali are both godly bowlers there's no point arguing who is better in that discipline. You'd rather have Warne in your side simply because he can actually bat

the big bambino

International Captain
Dunno about that. I've seen Murali make the long handles drive and present the full face defensive shot. He could really play with a straight bat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My AT XI for tests from the players I have watched - Mostly based on how I am feeling at the moment.. This will probably change tomorrow :)

Michael Slater
Alastair Cook
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Kumar Sangakkara
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited: