• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Prediction Thread

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
Series Result: Aus 2 - Eng 1
Most Runs (Eng): Vaughan
Most Runs (Aus): Martyn
Most Runs (overall): Martyn
Most Wickets (Eng): Harmison
Most Wickets (Aus): McGrath
Most Wickets (overall): McGrath
Compton-Miller Medal: Martyn.
Actually, here's one more prediction:

If Warne has a fantastic series, and especially if he wins Man of the Series, he'll announce his retirement.

C_C

International Captain
Naw, i dont think Warne is gonna quit till he reaches 600 wickets....i can see him playing till 2007 world cup and have around 700 wickets when he retires....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
Naw, i dont think Warne is gonna quit till he reaches 600 wickets....i can see him playing till 2007 world cup and have around 700 wickets when he retires....
I just think that with all the stuff going on around him - and he's said himself that he thinks it will take years off his career - he might just get out now, and get the rest of his life sorted out.

If this happens, I still wouldn't be suprised to see him make a comeback, though I'd doubt it would be successful.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just think that with all the stuff going on around him - and he's said himself that he thinks it will take years off his career - he might just get out now, and get the rest of his life sorted out.
Yeah but Warnie's also a bit of a sook when things aren't going his way and he's said this sort of thing before.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
Yeah but Warnie's also a bit of a sook when things aren't going his way and he's said this sort of thing before.
Ah well, it was just a wild, crazy prediction. But if it's right, I'll be ramming it down everyone's throat at CricketWeb - if its not, we can all just pretend it never happened ;) . Although I wonder if I can get odds on him retiring...? Might be fairly generous :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
If Warne has a passable series, he should hit 600 before the Ashes is done. He's only 17 off.

Still, I think Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist will all call it a day after the final Ashes test in 2006/07 at Sydney, like Chappell, Lillee and Marsh in '84.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Series Result: 2-1Australia
Most Runs (ENG): A Strauss
Most Runs (AUS): J Langer
Most Runs (Overall): J Langer
Most Wickets (ENG): S Harmison
Most Wickets (AUS): G McGrath
Most Wickets (Overall): G McGrath
Compton-Miller Medal Winner: G McGrath

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
If Warne has a passable series, he should hit 600 before the Ashes is done. He's only 17 off.

Still, I think Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist will all call it a day after the final Ashes test in 2006/07 at Sydney, like Chappell, Lillee and Marsh in '84.
McGrath has been quoted as saying that he'll make sure that doesn't happen - make sure that he doesn't leave Aus in the lurch.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Series Result: Australia 3 - 1 England
Most Runs (ENG): K Pietersen
Most Runs (AUS): R Ponting
Most Runs (Overall): R Ponting
Most Wickets (ENG) A Flintoff
Most Wickets (AUS) G Mcgrath
Most Wickets (Overall) G Mcgrath
Compton-Miller Medal Winner (for the overall Man Of The Series): A Flintoff

I reckon Warne could go on for till 2007 easily as he is a spinner but it all depends on whether his perfomance remains like it is and he takes wickets. He should get atleast 650 wickets if not more. However another scandal could be the end of his career

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
Exactly. Who will forget his little tantrum in 1999, after he got dropped for the final Test in the Windies, and then petulantly threatened to retire. He will keep playing on for a while. For a start, he's contracted to Hampshire until the end of 2008. Plus, a big consideration in retiring is that you've got something to go to next. With the divorce, and the termination of his Channel 9 contract, it's not like the world is his oyster once he retires. Cricket is probably the one certainty - and definitely a source of comfort - in his life right now. Anyway, that's my Dr Phil contribution. Back to the cricket...

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Series Result - Australia 4 - 1 England
Most Runs (ENG) - Michael Vaughan
Most Runs (AUS) - Ricky Ponting
Most Runs (Overall) - Ricky Ponting
Most Wickets (ENG) - Steve Harmison
Most Wickets (AUS) - Glenn McGrath
Most Wickets (Overall) - Steve Harmison
Compton-Miller Medal Winner (for the overall Man Of The Series) - Ricky Ponting

Vaughan is the pick of the English batsmen IMO, and Punter will be geared up for a big series. Harmison will probably end up with the most wickets because he will have less competition than McGrath, who I picked because I can't be sure about the other three as selectors stupidly choose to consider players who shouldn't be anywhere near the Tests (i.e. Brett Lee)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
got to love Murali's assessment

"Australia. Flintoff is out of form, Vaughan is out of form, Trescothick is technically suspect and Thorpe should be playing."

Straight to the point, thats why he's an honourary Lancastrian

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
got to love Murali's assessment

"Australia. Flintoff is out of form, Vaughan is out of form, Trescothick is technically suspect and Thorpe should be playing."

Straight to the point, thats why he's an honourary Lancastrian
He's wrong about Flintoff, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
Seems not doesn't it?

Murali knows his cricket, do not question him.
I don't think Flintoff is out of form? Just because a player isn't scoring runs, doesn't mean they are out of form. Flintoff has looked like making a big score throughout the tour to date, he's just only successfully done it once.

Slow Love™

International Captain
How are people doing so far? As to my predictions...

- My series prediction (2-1 AUS) will be looking pretty unlikely if there's a result in this test (particularly if England win it, obviously). I still kinda expect a one-test margin though.
- Langer is the second highest-scoring Aussie batsman at this point, just behind Clarke.
- Warne's the highest Aussie wicket-taker, but Lee's challenging.
- Vaughan just put himself into contention with today's century for England's batting table, but is still behind Pietersen and Tresco.
- Sadly (for me), Hoggard is languishing a bit behind Harmo and Flintoff so far as the English bowlers are concerned.

King_Ponting

International Regular
King_Ponting said:
Series Result 3-1 Aus
Most Runs (ENG) : Flintoff
Most Runs (AUS): Ponting
Most Runs (Overall): Ponting
Most Wickets (ENG): Flintoff
Most Wickets (AUS): Mcgrath
Most Wickets (Overall): Mcgrath
Compton-Miller Medal Winner (for the overall Man Of The Series): Ponting
Hmm well at the moment the only ones im close to being right on are the series result and Flintoff for most runs and wickets, sort of. Way off with punter so far tho