• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

watson

Banned
Relative to rest of the world a Trump/Pence led USA still won't be a patch on other societies and cultures who practice racism and discrimination as if it's a God given right.

So, if you are going fuss about the US Government then you really need to go ape-**** when looking at the majority of other societies and cultures. Unless you want to apply the usual double-standards of the 'regressive-Left' that is. If you are part of the 'regressive-Left' then feel free to be totally inconsistent.

China and India have a huge problem with racism toward black people

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...huge-problem-with-racism-toward-black-people/

Turkish bill to clear men of child *** assault if they marry their victims

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-child-***-assault-if-the-marry-their-victims

Reverse swing: Racist Bangalore, Racist India

Indians need to take drastic action to end racism against black Africans. We can’t be behaving like animals toward foreigners in our country.

Reverse swing: Racist Bangalore, racist India | The Indian Express

Egypt: New Church Law Discriminates Against Christians
Authorities Fail to Prevent, Punish Violent Attacks

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/09/15/egypt-new-church-law-discriminates-against-christians

Bangladesh: Lurching from secularism to sectarian terror?

Bangladesh: Lurching from secularism to sectarian terror? - BBC News

Saudi Arabia sentences a man to 10 years in prison and 2,000 lashes for expressing his atheism on Twitter

Saudi Arabia sentences a man to 10 years in prison and 2,000 lashes for expressing his atheism on Twitter | The Independent

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Relative to rest of the world a Trump/Pence led USA still won't be a patch on other societies and cultures who practice racism and discrimination as if it's a God given right.

So, if you are going fuss about the US Government then you really need to go ape-**** when looking at the majority of other societies and cultures. Unless you want to apply the usual double-standards of the 'regressive-Left' that is. If you are part of the 'regressive-Left' then feel free to be totally inconsistent.
See this is one of those arguments you alties really shouldn't be making. The stuff you linked is the ultimate expression of identity politics something the alt right openly embraces. I loathe the left's iteration of it and I agree the idea the west is a hotbed of racism a other social ailments is ridiculous, but if you claim to be a cure you better make sure you're better than the disease. You're either for or against that garbage, you can't claim to be both and still maintain some sort of moral high ground.

Spark

Global Moderator
See this is one of those arguments you alties really shouldn't be making. The stuff you linked is the ultimate expression of identity politics something the alt right openly embraces. I loathe the left's iteration of it and I agree the idea the west is a hotbed of racism a other social ailments is ridiculous, but if you claim to be a cure you better make sure you're better than the disease. You're either for or against that garbage, you can't claim to be both and still maintain some sort of moral high ground.
Watson isn't against identity politics at all though. He's just against non-white identity politics.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Watson isn't against identity politics at all though. He's just against non-white identity politics.
I've seen a lot of alties saying that they're not against identity politics in a kind of "they're doing it so why can't we?" argument. More pointing at that line of argument preemptively.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've seen a lot of alties saying that they're not against identity politics in a kind of "they're doing it so why can't we?" argument. More pointing at that line of argument preemptively.
Oh yeah I get that but by the same token, I treat that sort of thinking with undisguised contempt. I do take "identity politics in general is poisonous in a multi-ethnic society" seriously as an argument even if I strongly disagree in certain places, but actual white nationalism is bete noir for everyone to the left of Mussolini for a reason.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually like how they're keeping these people accountable and to not just be rulers of a faceless class. If it happened regardless of who was President I think government would work much better.
No I think this would be bad. Football referees are a good example of what happens when a profession is subject to unconditional abuse: the only people who want to do the job are cranky authoritarians with a thick skin.

Spark

Global Moderator
No I think this would be bad. Football referees are a good example of what happens when a profession is subject to unconditional abuse: the only people who want to do the job are cranky authoritarians with a thick skin.
Would hardly call what happened to Pence "unconditional" though.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I guess it comes down to the delivery method and there is a line you don't want to cross (repeatedly) but normal people aren't going to have an audience with the people in power in most cases. In the Pence case it wasn't really that bad IMO. I think the appropriate response is to hear people out and tell them they're looking after all American people - as the Presidents generally echo. If Pence stood up and said something like that he'd (and Trump too) have been praised to the hilt.

If it happened repeatedly and in really abrasive or abusive ways I'd agree with having a negative reaction about it. Even then, while I can see it may get in the way of the job to have people constantly doing this, ultimately you want those in power accountable. It gets really easy to abuse people without a face or a message; but not when they're in your face and showing their humanity.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess it comes down to the delivery method and there is a line you don't want to cross (repeatedly) but normal people aren't going to have an audience with the people in power in most cases. In the Pence case it wasn't really that bad IMO. I think the appropriate response is to hear people out and tell them they're looking after all American people - as the Presidents generally echo. If Pence stood up and said something like that he'd (and Trump too) have been praised to the hilt.

If it happened repeatedly and in really abrasive or abusive ways I'd agree with having a negative reaction about it. Even then, while I can see it may get in the way of the job to have people constantly doing this, ultimately you want those in power accountable. It gets really easy to abuse people without a face or a message; but not when they're in your face and showing their humanity.
Yeah I do see your point. But pushing accountability to its limits also produces selection effects. Would you like to be a politician? I definitely wouldn't. People view you with a very deep disrespect, and it only pays well if you're corrupt. The defining feature of the job is the level of abuse and the extent of the intrusion into your private life. Anyone who wants a job like that should be disqualified from it. President Trump, a man totally incapable of feeling shame, is a logical conclusion.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah. It'll be hilarious.
Weren't you telling us how hilarious it would be if Trump got the Repub nomination and buried the Republican party, I'm not laughing too much ATM.

Oh and yes the Hamilton thing as Vimes alluded too is the ideal distraction to Trump settling Trump Uni, gawd knows how easy it seems to distract news cycles. O mean this is serious ****, and arguably the only reason he's not facing criminal charges is because he gave campaign money to the person who should be prosecuting.

Anyway one of the rich ironies of all this is of course that the biggest snowflake in the World seems to be the man loved by the Fascists ( no I'm not going to call them alt-right, alties or any other convenient pseudonym, why would I?)

Last edited:

Niall

International Captain
Oh and yes the Hamilton thing as Vimes alluded too is the ideal distraction to Trump settling Trump Uni, gawd knows how easy it seems to distract news cycles. O mean this is serious ****, and arguably the only reason he's not facing criminal charges is because he gave campaign money to the person who should be prosecuting.

Master of spin Trump sadly, should be focusing on Trump uni, but he has ensured everyone's eyes on the less dreadful Hamilton story. He has the media by the bollocks.

indiaholic

International Captain
Spencer has called for "peaceful ethnic cleansing" and described Martin Luther King Jr. as "a fraud and degenerate in his life" who "has become the symbol and cynosure of White Dispossession and the deconstruction of Occidental civilization." He also described immigration as "a kind a proxy war -- and maybe a last stand -- for White Americans, who are undergoing a painful recognition that, unless dramatic action is taken, their grandchildren will live in a country that is alien and hostile."

Teja.

Global Moderator
IMO the views above are perfectly reasonable and should be treated with empathy and kindness. Most alt righters are good people deep down and it's natural to have an affinity for people from your own race. Why is it only a problem when white people express these views.

The real problem here is the militant left treating these views with disdain and throwing around labels like racist and bigot.