• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

RossTaylorsBox

International Captain
There's literally no story here. What is Comey doing? I know Krugman is calling it a partisan intervention but surely not?
I think Comey was right to reveal that they had new things they were investigating, but the vagueness of his statement basically opened the door for a bunch of unsubstantiated rumours to spread. Really don't think it's a partisan thing, Krugman is being a shook idiot.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking fwd to seeing smug little Robby Mook's reaction since his default answer to awkward email questions has always been to cite Comey's decision-making integrity. lol

Meanwhile, Giuliani looked like an evil chipmunk who'd won the lottery when interviewed earlier.

watson

Banned
Comey started off his speech by highlighting the conditions necessary for a violation of federal law;

Our investigation looked at whether there is evidence classified information was improperly stored or transmitted on that personal system, in violation of a federal statute making it a felony to mishandle classified information either intentionally or in a grossly negligent way, or a second statute making it a misdemeanor to knowingly remove classified information from appropriate systems or storage facilities.....
He then painted a stark picture for the next several minutes highlighting the 'gross negligence' of the Clinton team that would seem to justify criminal prosecution - yes it really was that bad.

However, by the end of his speech he seemed to do a complete 180 and conclude (again) that "we are expressing to Justice our view that no charges are appropriate in this case".

Because the FBI has made the unprecedented decision to inflict significant damage to a presidential candidate a mere 11 days from being elected one can only assume that some key members of the FBI disagree with Comey and feel that Clinton should be prosecuted because there is indeed a compelling case for 'gross negligence'.

Watching Comey contradict himself, and reading between the lines, it would seem that if Clinton does become President then there is a very good chance that she will be impeached just like her husband Bill. Another disaster for the Clinton family name.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
So... we're losing our minds over emails that the FBI have... already seen, and weren't actually sent/received by Clinton?

Am I missing something here, or is this more of what has been obvious for six months that this is a staggeringly overblown distraction?

Anil

International Coach
pretty much exactly what it is but the public is so ill-informed it will have an impact on the polls and the election...i was at a dinner at a friend's place and one of his friends made the comment that they are both equally bad and he wished mitt romney was running this time...i had to really control myself to not yell out that he doesn't have a clue and is a ****ing idiot, he is obviously not the watson type but he is also an american citizen who will likely vote in this election...there are so many such low information voters who decide who they vote for based on whatever sensational headline they happen to see...

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

International Captain
pretty much exactly what it is but the public is so ill-informed it will have an impact on the polls and the election...i was at a dinner at a friend's place and one of his friends made the comment that they are both equally bad and he wished mitt romney was running this time...i had to really control myself to not yell out that he doesn't have a clue and is a ****ing idiot, he is obviously not the watson type but he is also an american citizen who will likely vote in this election...there are so many such low information voters who decide who they vote for based on whatever sensational headline they happen to see...
Nah look, you've been yelling for months that every new Clinton scandal will sweep Trump into power because the public are idiots and easily swayed. So far it hasn't eventuated and to be honest it sounds pretty patronizing.

Anil

International Coach
Nah look, you've been yelling for months that every new Clinton scandal will sweep Trump into power because the public are idiots and easily swayed. So far it hasn't eventuated and to be honest it sounds pretty patronizing.
what do you mean it hasn't eventuated? it is a fact that a significant portion of the public don't make informed choices about who they are going to vote for...the false equivalency especially in this election cycle is so frustrating...bill maher nailed it (again) in "new rules" today...and it will remain a fact whether trump wins or loses...

RossTaylorsBox

International Captain
Trump supporters aren't uninformed, they know full well they're voting for a giant racist clownman. They won't change their mind even if you point out that Trump will be more corrupt than the establishment he's railing against. But he's still never held the lead during this election even with all the Clinton non-scandals. What this should tell you that the majority of people aren't idiots who get sucked into every little thing to do with emails. You should probably give the American public more credit, in Europe Trump would be elected.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trump supporters aren't uninformed, they know full well they're voting for a giant racist clownman. They won't change their mind even if you point out that Trump will be more corrupt than the establishment he's railing against. But he's still never held the lead during this election even with all the Clinton non-scandals. What this should tell you that the majority of people aren't idiots who get sucked into every little thing to do with emails. You should probably give the American public more credit, in Europe Trump would be elected.
Don't buy any of this whatsoever. trump is seen as a massive joke in this country and across europe. The fact is the e-mail scandals mean it is close, and it shouldn't be. trump is totally and utterly unsuited for Public Office, let alone the most important political post in the world. As others have said it's the Middle-East and africa that he might thrive.

He just lies all the time, it's constant. he won't back up his only decent claim that he's an incredible businessman by showing his tax returns, whilst we know there are a string of bankruptcies, losses, and unpaid creditors. He's ***ist, Racist, obnoxious, inarticulate. His university and foundation are utterly corrupt, and that's without the *** scandals.

Apart from Italy, I can't think of one Country in Europe he'd be elected, you seem to be rather insulting to this (can I still call it this) continent in your Rush to defend the USA.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well said Grecian. You only have to look at Farage's failure to win entry to the Commons to realise it's not true for this land. Italy yes as you say. Rest of Europe, no, they may elect some right wingers but they wouldn't elect Trump.

RossTaylorsBox

International Captain
Fine, in the Eastern bloc Trump would be elected. My point is that writing off the American public as uninformed is just wrong. The fact is the race is not actually that close. Remember how you said that Trump would definitely win the election? It didn't happen because most people aren't actually idiots.

grecian

Well said Grecian. You only have to look at Farage's failure to win entry to the Commons to realise it's not true for this land. Italy yes as you say. Rest of Europe, no, they may elect some right wingers but they wouldn't elect Trump.
It's an odd comment from RTB, because whatever you may think of Trump, he's an oddly murican phenomenon, someone who is famous for being rich and successful with absolutely no history of public service, I just don't buy that he would do that well anywhere but the USA.

I mean the closest here would be Boris Johnson I suppose, but TBH in personality he is totally opposite.

grecian

Fine, in the Eastern bloc Trump would be elected. My point is that writing off the American public as uninformed is just wrong. The fact is the race is not actually that close. Remember how you said that Trump would definitely win the election? It didn't happen because most people aren't actually idiots.
It's closer than it should be, and that's after all these *** scandals, including the *****-grabbing thing, and Hillary beating him in all three debates. You can't call this an informed electorate when this sham of a man is even this close to winning.