• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean I posted here a lot about how I found Harris's general approach to power and her philosophy in using it kind of disturbing, but I also thought those headkicker qualities were exactly those that would make her appealing as a general election candidate, especially as a running mate. The bad cop to Biden's good cop schtick, so to speak.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
for example that urdu/hindi word hai or mera or whatever, I have no idea how you would render those with the arabic script.

(don't hate me I don't know urdu or hindi but i've heard/seen those words pronounced...I can't figure out how you would write them in arabic that would even hint to a correct pronunciation of the vowels)
You are right. You can't write "hai" properly in the original Arabic script. However, Urdu uses the Arabic script with a few added letters and an extra vowel which allows accommodation of "hai".

Shady Slim

International Regular
I mean I posted here a lot about how I found Harris's general approach to power and her philosophy in using it kind of disturbing, but I also thought those headkicker qualities were exactly those that would make her appealing as a general election candidate, especially as a running mate. The bad cop to Biden's good cop schtick, so to speak.
i think that while she doesn't really offer much by way of practical politics she's definitely what the party wants in a running mate to biden and definitely what the party wants in a candidate going forward (that is to say, appearing progressive enough and having ostensible appeal to progressive voters yet not doing anything policywise to show it or extend an olive branch to that wing of the party - lip service and tokenism to the extreme hehe)

definitely someone the party powerbrokers look higher on (in terms of her politics, their reading of her appeal, etc) than voters do, however, firmly better than say, tim kaine

what weirds me the heck out is that she's the first person on a dem ticket from west of texas - while obama was born in hawaii and adlai stevenson california, both were a representative of different states by when they hit washington

absolutely wild to me tbh

Spark

Global Moderator
i think that while she doesn't really offer much by way of practical politics she's definitely what the party wants in a running mate to biden and definitely what the party wants in a candidate going forward (that is to say, appearing progressive enough and having ostensible appeal to progressive voters yet not doing anything policywise to show it or extend an olive branch to that wing of the party - lip service and tokenism to the extreme hehe)

definitely someone the party powerbrokers look higher on (in terms of her politics, their reading of her appeal, etc) than voters do, however, firmly better than say, tim kaine

what weirds me the heck out is that she's the first person on a dem ticket from west of texas - while obama was born in hawaii and adlai stevenson california, both were a representative of different states by when they hit washington

absolutely wild to me tbh
California was a Republican-leaning state until not that long back with much deeper institutional roots there, and no one really cares enough about WA or OR to craft a national platform from there. Dems until the 90s were always an eastern party.

Niall

International Captain
California was a Republican-leaning state until not that long back with much deeper institutional roots there, and no one really cares enough about WA or OR to craft a national platform from there. Dems until the 90s were always an eastern party.
Didn't realize she was granddaughter of PV Gopalan, Indian freedom fighter and speaks Tamil. Awesome. Hope it helps with the winning though, as otherwise, its all a bit pointless.
Is it weird that Kamala's past as a prosecutor really bothers me? The only other people it seems to bother are tankies and the scummier end of the Berniebros (and AZH).

Niall is like "a very meh choice" and I'm like "why the **** did he go with the professional life-ruiner".

She is awful we can agree, but from a purely electoral POV she doesn't really hurt him that much. It would make sense to have someone who could help him win states that were close, but he is running up the score anyhow so meh.

Spark

Global Moderator
The madder the online left gets the more it helps Biden, let's be honest here. The Trump campaign is running basically entirely on "Biden will be a tool of the online left" and it's harder to maintain that if said online left is spitting mad (even if the broader left isn't that bothered).

Niall

International Captain

Nate has his model out 71-29% in favour of Joe. But heh "silent majority" etc.
The madder the online left gets the more it helps Biden, let's be honest here. The Trump campaign is running basically entirely on "Biden will be a tool of the online left" and it's harder to maintain that if said online left is spitting mad (even if the broader left isn't that bothered).
The issues that she has been accused of been bad on previously I sadly don't think matters with joe bloggs.
]
Trans rights, *** worker rights, Palestine etc do white suburban republicans care? Nah they are niche online issues. Its not fair but it is what it is.

Her crime background is a tricky one, it's correct to be called out by the left, but again naive to think their aren't many people in the black and white community reading these stories and thinking "what's the issue here" .....

I do remember thinking her flaw in her doomed president run was she tried to pander to much to the left, their was room for an Obama loving law and order moderate to sweep the primary or at least last until the first primary!

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
This model seems a bit less robust than 2016 tbh. It really feels like Silver has just come up with a bunch of ways to force more noise terms into the model. NYT full-width headlines as a variable, wut?

But I still think it's a lot more defensible than saying Biden is like 92% chance to win already.

AndyZaltzHair

International Coach

Nate has his model out 71-29% in favour of Joe. But heh "silent majority" etc.

The issues that she has been accused of been bad on previously I sadly don't think matters with joe bloggs.
]
Trans rights, *** worker rights, Palestine etc do white suburban republicans care? Nah they are niche online issues. Its not fair but it is what it is.

Her crime background is a tricky one, it's correct to be called out by the left, but again naive to think their aren't many people in the black and white community reading these stories and thinking "what's the issue here" .....

I do remember thinking her flaw in her doomed president run was she tried to pander to much to the left, their was room for an Obama loving law and order moderate to sweep the primary or at least last until the first primary!
I find her past shady as ****. It’s proven that she likes to exercise her power in wrong ways and gets pleasure out of it.

Niall

International Captain
I find her past shady as ****. It’s proven that she likes to exercise her power in wrong ways and gets pleasure out of it.

I agree, but don't think her past will be an issue in November as it won't get much coverage outside of the veryonline twitter.

Top article in the NYT from Ross Dhouthat.

I can't recall which nevertrumper I seen the other week reminisce about the supposed good old days of conservatism before Trump and pretty much alleged why Trump won was because they loved his racism. To some extent he may be right, but no interest in acknowledging that under his era of ****ty reganism, foreign wars and not doing much for GOP voters...left the GOP open to someone like Trump.

Life was supposedly really good for America and the GOP looked after all their voters not just donor's before some fat ginger man came along.

No self awareness.