• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus, that Pittsburgh shooting is chilling. For a year or so, I used to live a couple of blocks away from where it happened. Very peaceful and quiet place.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Terrible. Mad bastard apparently had a history of posting a lot of antisemetic crap on SM as well.

Bloke wants a good talking to so he can see his POV isn’t very good.

StephenZA

International Coach
If only there was a way to discourage instead of inflaming this sort of behaviour, rather than pick up the bodies afterwards.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
If only there was a way to discourage instead of inflaming this sort of behaviour, rather than pick up the bodies afterwards.
Don't disagree ftr. Just don't think most of the suggestions that get regularly bandied around fall anywhere near that category.

StephenZA

International Coach
Don't disagree ftr. Just don't think most of the suggestions that get regularly bandied around fall anywhere near that category.
What suggestions? All we talking about is not demonizing groups of people and encouraging hatred, and try to encourage understanding and tolerance of others.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
What suggestions? All we talking about is not demonizing groups of people and encouraging hatred, and try to encourage understanding and tolerance of others.
Oh come on. Don't play games like that. There's truck loads of takes about how there needs to be more control over what people can say. And that's before we've started on the guns argument. Whether you're saying anything of the sort in this exact moment isn't exactly the point now is it?

What do you think Burgey's "just need a chat meme" is referencing?

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure Burgey is principally saying that Nazis should be banned off social media platforms.

Which they should

Spark

Global Moderator
Also, treating far right nationalists as an ideological source of terrorism on par with Islamists would be a good idea too.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty sure Burgey is principally saying that Nazis should be banned off social media platforms.

Which they should
I'll let him speak for himself but I've always understood he wants anyone far right enough in jail.

StephenZA

International Coach
Oh come on. Don't play games like that. There's truck loads of takes about how there needs to be more control over what people can say. And that's before we've started on the guns argument. Whether you're saying anything of the sort in this exact moment isn't exactly the point now is it?

What do you think Burgey's "just need a chat meme" is referencing?
I`m not talking about guns, and I`m not talking about free speech. Not that I don't have opinions on that; Burgey`s meme is regards to the fact not all opinions are equal, as much as many would like us to think so.

I`m talking about the fact that rhetoric and words can encourages people to behave in certain manner, particularly when that rhetoric is words of hatred and continuous and fulfills people's underlying reasons to blame their problems on other people. What people of influence say has consequences. Serious debate from knowledge and experienced people on problematic topics should be encourage, hate filled spurious nonsense should be treated with the disdain it deserves.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, treating far right nationalists as an ideological source of terrorism on par with Islamists would be a good idea too.
I don't think the scale is the same, but I don't disagree with the thrust of the sentiment.

I'd want it to come with the auto "not all right wingers", "hate will not divide us" recoil that happens every time an Islamist shoots up a place though.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'll let him speak for himself but I've always understood he wants anyone far right enough in jail.
Maybe yeah. Certainly though that's my position; companies like Twitter and Google (via YouTube) have no obligation to host this stuff and indeed an active obligation not have this toxicity stinking up the joint.

I also think that a lot of this stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what these people want. They're very good at word games but at heart their goal is ethnic cleansing and genocide. It would be good for mainstream institutions to take that as their priors.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think the scale is the same, but I don't disagree with the thrust of the sentiment.

I'd want it to come with the auto "not all right wingers", "hate will not divide us" recoil that happens every time an Islamist shoots up a place though.
Oh I meant to say "on American soil" in that post