• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know, I would say his nomination could now be in some serious jeopardy (let's see how well this post has aged in a week or so). Whether the allegations are true or not is almost besides the point at this stage. His performance today has showcased how he's petulant, poorly-tempered and a conspiracy theorist. Totally unfit to take a lifetime role on the most senior US court.
Not according to those who are going to vote on him. He will be confirmed.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know, I would say his nomination could now be in some serious jeopardy (let's see how well this post has aged in a week or so). Whether the allegations are true or not is almost besides the point at this stage. His performance today has showcased how he's petulant, poorly-tempered and a conspiracy theorist. Totally unfit to take a lifetime role on the most senior US court.
Mate, it’s the Republican Party.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm not suggesting she is lying, heck there may be more witnesses that may emerge that may paint a clearer picture. I just find it astonishing how a 21 year old visits 10 parties where gang rapes are happening. I know people can be naive when younger, but why put yourself in that scenario? I dunno its very odd.
Funny how everyone's asking this of her but not of all the people who attended those party and gang raped people. I know that's a glib response but I find it a glib question. This sort of social atmosphere is fairly similar to that of the broken step theory.

social

Hall of Fame Member
Between his whining voice and constant sniffing, I found him to be unwatchable

However, his lack of composure was the most telling thing for me

Niall

International Captain
yep trump is going with powerful, honest and riveting...the "moderates" are "huddling" right now but it is pretty clear which way this is going to go...
Corker is a yes and Manchin probably is also, Dems don't want to be relying on Flake so its all down to Murkowski and Collins. I think with Mc Connell , Trump etc all pushing for this confirmation those 2 will buckle.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
lol

She’s suffered death threats, chased out of her home and is putting herself in serious legal jeopardy

She’s either insane or there’s some truth to her claims
She is also deified on her side of the isle, just as a partisan would love. She could be insane but I think she is just a useful, willing, pawn. I wouldn't even rule out someone committing that assault but that it was Kavanaugh is implausible. She says she is 100% certain and that it changed her life but at the same time she is unsure of the basic details, has about 0 corroborating evidence and those she named either didn't corroborate or denied that it happened.

She is not a credible witness and in a normal legal process her allegations would never get so far.

I just don't understand the possible timeline here. "Conservative justice is nominated ---> I'm going to destroy my life by fabricating false ***ual assault claims against him"? How does this work?
Because that's not her mentality. It is probably "half the country is with me and going to believe me no matter what, and those that don't believe me are still likely to keep an open mind about it". We don't live in this feminist narrative of reality where the patriarchy shame women for coming out. There are cretins to be sure but the grand majority of people will not destroy her and will forget about her in a week's time. Even the very questioning of her was handled sensitively - even though IMO they should have treated her as any other person making those allegations.

Most people are upset at Feinstein et al.

So you're saying she'll purger herself and go to gaol in an unsuccessful attempt to stop a bloke getting a job as a Supreme Court Justice?

FMD who's hysterical here?
:laugh: no one is going to prison. Her recollections are hard to confirm because there is so little evidence, they knew full well by keeping it ultra vague she had no real risk of perjuring herself. And even if she did, they wouldn't jail her for the mere politics of it. The left are crazy enough as it is.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The "why wasn't it raised at the time" line really reminds me of the defences that were raised 10-15 years ago about the child ***ual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church (amongst others). Shouldn't be that surprising in this day and age that people can sail to positions of power with horrendous skeletons in their closets.
She didn't mention it to anyone for 36 years. Even with the therapist she didn't name Kavanaugh and the notes of that session conflict with her later testimony.

Imagine living your life with that secret, not making a peep, not telling anyone, then timing your allegation right before confirmation in one of the more publicised events in modern US politics. The idea that she is "finally" breaking her silence is nauseating because of how bad her testimony is and how little evidence she has.

Her issue isn't comparable to those people that suffered at the hands of paedophiles. Not only has she not proven her case, and is hence not a proven victim, what she allegedly went through is hardly comparable to being ***ually abused as a kid by the leader of the church their parents and community worshipped at.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
It’s a real shame more rape victims don’t think to gather more evidence when they were raped. Unthoughtful sods.

harsh.ag

Hall of Fame Member
I'm just glad Republicans have suddenly come to the realization that a supreme court seat should be filled as quickly as possible, unlike when the seat actually opened up. America, thank the lord for them sensible Republicans.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Between his whining voice and constant sniffing, I found him to be unwatchable

However, his lack of composure was the most telling thing for me
-Believes a woman with 0 evidence.
-Uses a flustered disposition from a man fighting for his life as evidence.

Ah-mazing.

I'm just glad Republicans have suddenly come to the realization that a supreme court seat should be filled as quickly as possible, unlike when the seat actually opened up. America, thank the lord for them sensible Republicans.
The credit should be going to the Ds on this front.

It’s a real shame more rape victims don’t think to gather more evidence when they were raped. Unthoughtful sods.
Yeah, what a ****** standard...evidence? We don't need any damn evidence!

In all seriousness, more evidence would be one thing, she has zero evidence. To all people: if you get raped or ***ually abused, tell the police, tell someone, immediately, even if you find it difficult. You will be saving yourself and other potential victims a whole lot of hurt.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah, you'd never imagine a confirmation hearing for a SC judge being derailed by allegations without proof...oh, wait it's happened before :laugh:
Someone in her position has every right to have their allegations tested. You’re jumping at shadows trying to find a conspiracy when the simplest and most likely explanation if she’s wrong is that her recollection is ****ed up.

I find this whole confirmation system a bizarre one tbh. But that’s a discussion for another day.

Burgey

Thank goodness you’ve solved all the problems surrounding reporting of historical ***ual assaults.

morgieb

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ikki's change from a reasonably normal/independent conservative/libertarian to someone who'll always take the conservative side regardless of the issue is pretty confounding to me and also kinda embarrassing.

Burgey

I look forward to one day hearing some submissions which equate to Evatt's at the Petrov Royal Commission.