• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 'A' team

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I expect this has been done before, but (as with the Fast Bowler Survival thread) people's answers can change with time:

If you were picking a team of players whose names begin with A (using the "Cricinfo rules" where Pakistani, Bangladeshi and a few other players are listed by first name, others by second name), who would you pick?

Some options (underlined players are listed by their primary skill but could be regarded as all-rounders):

Openers: Aamer Sohail, Bobby Abel, Mayank Agarwal, Dennis Amiss, Madhav Apte, Marvin Atapattu, Michael Atherton

Middle-order: Jimmy Adams, Mohinder Amarnath, Hashim Amla, Warwick Armstrong, Asad Shafiq, Asif Iqbal, Nathan Astle, Mohammad Azharuddin, Azhar Ali

Wicket keeper: Gerry Alexander, Les Ames

Fast bowlers: Aaqib Javed, Kyle Abbott, Neil Adcock, Terry Alderman, Gubby Allen, Amar Singh, Curtly Ambrose, Jimmy Anderson, Ron Archer, Jofra Archer, Dennis Atkinson, Eric Atkinson

Spinners: Abdul Qadir, Abdur Rehman, Paul Adams, Moeen Ali, David Allen, Bob Appleyard, Ravi Ashwin

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Bobby Abel
Dennis Amiss
Hashim Amla
Lala Amarnath
Mohammad Azharuddin
Warwick Armstrong (*)
Les Ames (+)
Abdul Qadir
Curtley Ambrose
James Anderson
Neil Adcock

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The B team has:

Boycott
Boon
Bradman
Barrington
Border *
Botham
Boucher
Benaud
Broad
Boult
Bedi

Pretty sure this side is going to trounce all others. The M side is pretty decent too (though I couldn't think of any decent openers):

G Marsh
S Marsh
Miandad
McCabe
Misbah-ul-Haq
Matthews
McCullum
Marshall
McDermott
Muralitharan
McGrath

Howe_zat

Audio File
The B team has:

Boycott
Boon
Bradman
Barrington
Border *
Botham
Boucher
Benaud
Broad
Boult
Bedi

Pretty sure this side is going to trounce all others. The M side is pretty decent too (though I couldn't think of any decent openers):

G Marsh
S Marsh
Miandad
McCabe
Misbah-ul-Haq
Matthews
McCullum
Marshall
McDermott
Muralitharan
McGrath
Bs should probably find room for Sydney Barnes and/or Alec Bedser

Ms should have Arthur Morris and Bruce Mitchell opening, and probably Peter May somewhere in the middle order

stephen

Bs should probably find room for Sydney Barnes and/or Alec Bedser

Ms should have Arthur Morris and Bruce Mitchell opening, and probably Peter May somewhere in the middle order
Given their bowling attack I'd probably bring in May over Matthews. The Bs should probably replace Broad with Barnes and Bedi with Bedser.

stephen

Honestly the B team formed in my head with Bradman, Barrington and Border, the rest just feel into place around it. Likewise the M side started with Murali, Marshall and McGrath.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a draft like this. I managed to get

Hobbs
Hutton
Headley
Hammond
Harvey
Hazare
Healy
Hadlee
Holding
Wes Hall
Herarh

AndrewB

Not that I'm complaining about these other letter teams (he lied), but I was actually hoping to get more views on who would be in the 'A's team...

trundler

Amiss
Abel
Amla
Azharuddin
Adams
Armstrong
Ames
Ashwin
Adcock
Ambrose
Anderson

Wanted to get Appleyard in there because I'm a bit of a fan but Ashwin for batting depth. Qadir is probably the only notable spinner who's worse away than Ash.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why not play two spinners and 5 bowlers? And Azhar Ali can get in there, I feel. And Abdul Razzaq for allrounder, perhaps?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Amiss
Abel
Amla
Azharuddin
Adams
Armstrong
Ames
Ashwin
Adcock
Ambrose
Anderson

Wanted to get Appleyard in there because I'm a bit of a fan but Ashwin for batting depth. Qadir is probably the only notable spinner who's worse away than Ash.
I agree with everything here except for Adams > Amarnath. Amarnath to this day remains one of India's finest players of pace bowling.

Gob

International Coach
Amiss
Abel
Amla
Azharuddin
Adams
Armstrong
Ames
Ashwin
Adcock
Ambrose
Anderson

Akram

AndrewB

He's Wasim in Cricinfo, and in general Pakistani name order.
Yeah, he'd be a shoo-in for the A team if eligible.

Incidentally, I have seen someone try to explain how Pakistani/Bangladeshi should really be sorted, and it certainly wasn't as simple as "go by first name" or "go by last name" - but most sites (e.g. Cricinfo) seem to use the simple approach.

morgieb

Amiss
Atherton
Azhar Ali
Amla
Azharuddin
Armstrong *
Ames +
Ashwin (though should he really count given the way Tamili names work?)
Ambrose
Adcock
Ambrose