• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test series win in Australia............

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I must say I was kind of shocked to learn that only 3 nations have defeated Australia in a test series in Australia in the history of the game!!!!

For the record only .....

England

West Indies

and

New Zealand

have beaten Australia in a test series in Aust.

Its particularly great for New Zealand - a team that is seemingly underated by everyone yet have achieved something that so few teams have

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
But New Zealand have only done it once in their long history of test series against Australia. They deserve to be "underated".

Blaze

Banned
Good piece of info there Zinzan.. It really does speak volumes about how good our side was in the 80's.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I heard that in the commentary. England have done it 5 times, WI 4 times, and NZ once

Zinzan

ClownSymonds said:
But New Zealand have only done it once in their long history of test series against Australia. They deserve to be "underated".
They deserve to be underated because they are only 1 of 3 teams that have ever achieved this?? Yeah that make perfect sense 8-)

By the way its not really that long a history when you consider that after a series in the 1940s...we never played Australia again til the early to mid 70s.

But there is no doubt Australia have tradionally been a lot stronger than NZ at cricket in the same way the All Blacks have traditionally be better than Australia at rugby :p :p

sorry...could resist :)

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India played very well in two series down under - once under Kapil where Australia was outscored most times (I think - not sure) and the last series down under.

It is indeed toughest to beat Australia in Australia.

The umpiring down under was pretty poor in the era of pre neutral umpires (if what I hear from past cricket fans is true) which should not be entirely ignored. Also I saw a stat a few years ago of lbws given for and against. Australia had the worst or second worst ratio. But can be because more Australian bowlers got wickets than away bowlers.

But all this cannot take away the superb record Australia has in home.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Also while we are at it, which countries have never won in specific coutries? For example which coutries have never won a series in India, Pakistan and so on.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Also while we are at it, which countries have never won in specific coutries? For example which coutries have never won a series in India, Pakistan and so on.
Teams that have won test series in India:
England
West Indies
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa

And in Pakistan...
Australia
England
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
West Indies
South Africa
India

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
Teams that have won test series in India:
England
West Indies
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa

And in Pakistan...
Australia
England
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
West Indies
South Africa
India
Didn't Zimbabwe win in Pakistan in 99??

Chubb

International Regular
zinzan12 said:
Didn't Zimbabwe win in Pakistan in 99??
Indeed they did. 1-0.

The first test was at Peshawar. Heath Streak took 4-93 and Pommie Mbangwa 3-40 in the first innings to bowl out Pakistan for 296. Zimbabwe got 238 in their first innings despite Neil Johnson's 103, but then they bowled Pakistan out again for only 103, Olonga the destroyer with 4-42, Heath got 2-19 and Pommie 3-23. Zimbabwe then had to chase 160-odd, and got there for 3, Murray Goodwin seeing them home with 73*.

The second test was "fogged out" in Lahore, so Zimbabwe gained their first series victory. This tour is often represented, along with the World Cup 99, as the apogee of Zimbabwean cricket.

Deja moo

International Captain
India have never won a single test in SA IIRC...

SA have not won a OD series (bilateral or any other format) in India yet ( I assume they've won ODI series' in all other test nations so far)..

India have never beaten SA in the WC ( 2 attempts) .
Pakistan have never beaten India in the WC (4 attempts)..

Last edited: