• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test rankings watch

SeamUp

International Coach
These 2 series wins were what I wanted to see from SA to get them close to top of the rankings. The road to truly owning the position will be interesting. India have a massive tour to England coming up.

1. India 121
2. South Africa 117
3. New Zealand 102
4. Australia 102
5. England 97
6. Sri Lanka 95
7. Pakistan 88
8. Windies 72
9. Bangladesh 71

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Wow didn't realise the Banglas have almost overtaken West Indies for 8th place. Have they ever been 8th or higher before?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hilarious that NZ are ahead of Australia.. but how? They lost to them home and away and they only recorded marginally superior results to the Aussies on their last tours to England and UAE (draw as opposed to loss) and they lost more convincingly in India.

OverratedSanity

It's hilarious that NZ are ahead of Australia.. but how? They lost to them home and away and they only recorded marginally superior results to the Aussies on their last tours to England and UAE (draw as opposed to loss) and they lost more convincingly in India.
NZ have been winning pretty consistently since that loss to Aus. Even the series they lost against SA, they got screwed over by the rain or they'd probably have drawn.

vcs

NZ have been winning pretty consistently since that loss to Aus. Even the series they lost against SA, they got screwed over by the rain or they'd probably have drawn.
They've beaten Pakistan (who Australia beat straight afterwards), Bangladesh and WI (hardly the stiffest opposition). They were unlucky not to draw the series against SA, but I still think they'd generally lose home and away against SA and Australia most of the time. They have no advantage w.r.t conditions, and every thing that they do well, those two do a little better.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think it mostly comes down to the 3-0 walloping Australia took in SL and the just concluded series, without these 2 Australia would be firmly above NZ.

morgieb

It's a case of fixturing, I think. Has been a long time since New Zealand played away from home which has to help their rating given how form dependent it is.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon we'd soundly beat Australia at home right now. Would also be soundly beaten in Australia though.

morgieb

Reckon we'd soundly beat Australia at home right now. Would also be soundly beaten in Australia though.
Worth noting that you were far more competitive in Australia than in New Zealand the last two times we met.

Probably just a coincidence, but worth noting anyway.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Worth noting that you were far more competitive in Australia than in New Zealand the last two times we met.

Probably just a coincidence, but worth noting anyway.
The AU tour of NZ had a few issues on our end that I reckon didn't play in our favour. Taylor was out of the series which was a pretty major factor for our general batting strength, we had Guptill and a pretty fresh and out of his depth Nicholls. I reckon it also coincided (and I say this knowing that Australia batted very well and are consistently a very good batting lineup) with some very bad form for Southee AND Boult. Australia's batting was also significantly stronger than it is at this moment. Voges was in one of the greatest bits of form any player has ever had, Smith and Warner were available.

Reckon you remove those batsman form Australia, keep both attacks at current form and NZ are looking stronger than Australia in NZ conditions. Australia is also pretty plagued with injuries right now.

I still think even this weakened Australian team would still go into a series with NZ as heavy favourites at home though.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re that NZ 2016 tour, the thing was that while Smith was his usual dominant self, Warner was pretty much a non-factor in the series. It was the likes of Khawaja (only century he's scored overseas to date), Burns (ditto) and Voges who also cashed in.

I reckon it wasn't the strongest Oz lineup of recent times (remember Siddle was in for Cummins) but NZ always seem to be intimidated against Australian sides. Haven't won a Test series against Australia since the 1980s and have never won an ODI series in Australia (even when they beat Oz 3-1 in the 2001/02 tri-series they still lost to South Africa).

morgieb

Re that NZ 2016 tour, the thing was that while Smith was his usual dominant self, Warner was pretty much a non-factor in the series. It was the likes of Khawaja (only century he's scored overseas to date), Burns (ditto) and Voges who also cashed in.

I reckon it wasn't the strongest Oz lineup of recent times (remember Siddle was in for Cummins)
but NZ always seem to be intimidated against Australian sides. Haven't won a Test series against Australia since the 1980s and have never won an ODI series in Australia (even when they beat Oz 3-1 in the 2001/02 tri-series they still lost to South Africa).
No Starc either. Hard to believe a bowling attack of Hazlewood, Siddle, Bird and Lyon was still able to dismantle NZ really cheaply.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
How often have New Zealand been ahead of Australia on the Test rankings table since the mid-1980s? I'd reckon hardly at all until now.

Athlai

Not Terrible

I reckon it wasn't the strongest Oz lineup of recent times (remember Siddle was in for Cummins) but NZ always seem to be intimidated against Australian sides. Haven't won a Test series against Australia since the 1980s and have never won an ODI series in Australia (even when they beat Oz 3-1 in the 2001/02 tri-series they still lost to South Africa).
The point isnt really to look at the results but more to look at the likeliest potential of results. Warner is a quality bat so whether he fails in that series or not, he's a factor in a potential series being played tomorrow. It wouldn't be a series against some hapless minnow so there's always a chance it doesn't go how it reads on paper. But I reckon NZ right now are stronger than Australia are

Victor Ian

International Coach
As it is right now, I go back to the 80's before I think Australia has a worse batting line up, and even then, I'm unsure, because we at least had Border. Our bowling is better, so it seems, but I'll have to wait and see how things pan out without reverse swing before I am confident of that. Tough times for me - I'd switch to an interest in AFL but I support Carlton :(

FBU

International Debutant
SA 3 batsmen and 3 bowlers in the top 10 or if you include the top 20 it's 5 batsmen and 5 bowlers.
Australia 2 batsmen (now banned) and 1 bowler.

Last edited: