• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Auction Draft 2023 - Stipulation Based

anil1405

International Captain
This would be second edition of the test draft I ran here.

Every round I will give you a stipulation to pick a player.

You need to send me bids for three players in your order of priority that fit the criteria.

For example if I ask you to pick a spin bowler and you send me following bids

A. John Emburey $20
B. Shane Warne $300
C. Saqlain Mushtaq $100

and if you happen to be the highest bidder for both Emburey and Warne, you will get Emburey for that round based on your priority order.

Players you send me should fit that criteria and if none of your bids happen to be highest bids then I will ask you to choose a player who isn't going to be worth the value for the price I am going to set for him.

- $1000 Budget
- 12 Rounds
- 12 players
- 24 hours timeline for each round
- Send bids privately
- Bids will be made public after each round
- Bradman is excluded

There will be few questions which might require you to do a bit of research so be prepared for it.

ataraxia

International Coach
In, after reading through the previous draft as a reminder!

No Braddles this time I see; I wonder now who will attract the highest bid.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
How strictly will the criteria be enforced? For instance, there is a lot of debate on what is an allrounder vs a useful part-timer/better than handy tailender.

As this says "test draft" is it safe to assume that players who didn't play/haven't played test cricket are ineligible?

If a drafter runs out of money and say hypothetically loses a 12th round bid before not affording the player you set, would that team then be eliminated/ineligible?

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
In, after reading through the previous draft as a reminder!

No Braddles this time I see; I wonder now who will attract the highest bid.
Yeah that's the only change I've made from the previous edition. I felt instead of saving up for one man, if that money is equally diluted towards other players it would make the draft
more interesting.

anil1405

International Captain
How strictly will the criteria be enforced? For instance, there is a lot of debate on what is an allrounder vs a useful part-timer/better than handy tailender.
All rounder or no-rounder doesn't matter in this draft coz you can go the full 'Bharani route' and pick a team of ARs or go the other way round and pick none.

Let's say I ask you to pick a player who scored X amount of runs in tests, you can pick someone who has taken 0 wickets or 300 as long as he has scored those X amount of runs.

As this says "test draft" is it safe to assume that players who didn't play/haven't played test cricket are ineligible?
Yes.

If a drafter runs out of money and say hypothetically loses a 12th round bid before not affording the player you set, would that team then be eliminated/ineligible?
11 players is a minimum requirement.

Once you play couple of rounds you will realise that you could get a player for a very minimal amount.

Haven't come across drafters who finished with 10 players in previous editions despite them getting multiple penalty picks.

anil1405

International Captain
Drafters so far:

1. Trundler
2. Kingkallis
3. Bitmap
4. Cricaddict
5. Hb
6. Pothas
7. Ankit
8. Fuller Pilch
9. Archer
10. Teuton
11. Ataraxia
12. LL

I'll give it another day and start the draft tomorrow. Meanwhile if anyone else is interested they can join in.

anil1405

International Captain
For those playing for the first time here are a few more details.

Priority order: Once the stipulation is set for a round, you send me three players in order of your priority along with bid values. If you happen to be the highest bidder for all three players in that round you will get player A because he was your first priority.

Tie: In the event of two people bidding the same highest amount for a player, none of them will get that player and the next player in your priority list will be taken into consideration.

Penalty picks: Despite being asked to submit three players with a certain bid value, if you fail to have highest bid for any one player then you will be given a penalty.

You'll have to choose between two players for a certain value that I set.

Mind you, penalties will be harsh and they will be any random players.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
if none of your bids happen to be highest bids then I will ask you to choose a player who isn't going to be worth the value for the price I am going to set for him.
Can I ask why you do this? The drafter can just not have any player for that round and his money safe, isn't it? Instead of having a random player in his ranks.

anil1405

International Captain
Can I ask why you do this? The drafter can just not have any player for that round and his money safe, isn't it? Instead of having a random player in his ranks.
You need to pick a player every round. If someone is being too greedy and bids less for all three players in anticipation of getting one of them for a low value and fails to do so then he does cop a penalty.