• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Terrible names for cricket stadiums

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm fine with Athlai's suggestion as long as the Wellington players can crunch down on a Tulsi Butter Chicken Pie better than Anton ****ing Devcich's piss poor effort at a Georgie Pie a couple of years back.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Cricket grounds should follow the CityName Cricket Ground/Oval Convention. This makes it easiest for cricket fans to book their tickets there. Sydney and Melbourne got it right.

I'm not a fan of sponsors names. I'm also not a fan of commentators and media using that name. I never understood why Melbourne's docklands stadium gets referred to as HiSense Arena, Etihad Stadium, Marvel stadium, etc. What power does the naming rights have to enforce other people to use this name. They sign a deal with the stadium. Why then, does every other form of media follow on and use that name? Are they also paid, as part of the deal or is it something that the stadium can enforce.? I'd love to see a stadium deal with a recalcitrant population who refused to use the sponsored name.

Anyways, forget that....

Great cricket ground names that don't follow the above convention

Lords
The Oval
Eden Gardens
Wanderers
Gabba
Waca

When a ground has the same name throughout your lifetime, you kind of feel like friends.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricket grounds should follow the CityName Cricket Ground/Oval Convention. This makes it easiest for cricket fans to book their tickets there. Sydney and Melbourne got it right.

I'm not a fan of sponsors names. I'm also not a fan of commentators and media using that name. I never understood why Melbourne's docklands stadium gets referred to as HiSense Arena, Etihad Stadium, Marvel stadium, etc. What power does the naming rights have to enforce other people to use this name. They sign a deal with the stadium. Why then, does every other form of media follow on and use that name? Are they also paid, as part of the deal or is it something that the stadium can enforce.? I'd love to see a stadium deal with a recalcitrant population who refused to use the sponsored name.

Anyways, forget that....

Great cricket ground names that don't follow the above convention

Lords
The Oval
Eden Gardens
Wanderers
Gabba
Waca

When a ground has the same name throughout your lifetime, you kind of feel like friends.
Agreed. Ftr HiSense arena was the tennis centre. Docklands was originally called Telstra Dome too, which is probably the worst of the lot.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Agreed. Ftr HiSense arena was the tennis centre. Docklands was originally called Telstra Dome too, which is probably the worst of the lot.
The fact that I didn't remember where Hisense was just confirms how silly sponsor names are. Also not a big fan of forcing names, such as Telstra dome, when the roof is flat.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bourda and Providence are two of my favorites.

Bourda is a village in Georgetown. It has one of the busiest market in Guyana.

Providence, on the other was build on lands which were once cane fields...

Antigua Recreation Ground is a cool.named ground.